One Eyed Martha*

Carbs = The Devil

But like my Mama said, you never hear of anyone getting fat from eating too many vegetables.

And recently I was flipping though Everyday Food Magazine, by Martha Stewart at the check out line (yes I refuse to actually buy the magazine) and this stuck with me. I am not actually sure what the instructions said or even what the ingredients were, but I got the general idea and knew it would be a winner! If you read my blog at all you know I make lots and lots of sweets, but lately have avoided eating too much of them. And you also probably know that I deem healthy recipes as, Ass Friendly Recipes…and guess what…this one? Totally Ass Friendly! And tasty! Win, Win!

Now, you might be thinking great, it is healthy, tasty, and by Martha…but what the heck is it? Well it is a new, better version of a One Eyed Jack…or a Toad In A Hole….or an Egg In A Hole….No? No idea what those are? Well, where where you as a kid?! A traditional One Eyed Jack is a piece of toast, with the center cut out, and a fried egg in the center. And like I stated in the very beginning, carbs are the devil. So this One Eyed Martha, is a bell pepper, with a fried egg inside! Topped with freshly grated asagio cheese and a little balsamic glaze. Definitely one of my new breakfast favorites!

P.S. I named it the One Eyed Martha, I have no idea what Martha named it…and I am sure she would not approve of the name One Eyed Martha.

A couple tips, an over medium egg tastes better in this then one of the less cooked versions. It also helps to keep the egg inside of the bell pepper, if while pouring in the egg, you hold down the corners of the bell pepper. And lastly, I loved the asagio cheese on this, but freshly shaved  parmigiano-reggiano would be fabulous as well! Also for a fun presentation, use different colors of bell peppers!

Print Save

One Eyed Martha

1 large bell pepper any color, seeded, and sliced into 1/2 inch rings
5 eggs
asagio cheese, freshly shaved/shredded
balsamic glaze
salt and pepper (or cayenne pepper if you are up for the heat!)
olive oil

Spread a little olive oil in a cast iron skillet or non stick pan over medium high heat. Add bell pepper and cook on each side for 30 seconds. Crack one egg into the center of each bell pepper ring. Season with salt, pepper, and a little dash of cayenne pepper. Cook for 3 minutes until white of egg is mostly cooked, and flip gently and allow to cook for another 1-2 minutes.
Top egg with asagio cheese and a little drizzle of balsamic glaze. Serve with fresh fruit for a truly delicious healthy breakfast!

26 Responses to “One Eyed Martha”

Jorge Segarra — June 6, 2010 @ 10:21 pm

For the record (for readers of this blog, Jess already knows this since I’m married to her and all), as a kid I used to eat white rice with fried/sunny-side egg on top. This dish kind of reminded me of that, flavor-wise, but upscale version of it. Also the pepper and balsamic glaze with the egg were such a huge win.

ashley — June 6, 2010 @ 10:39 pm

beautiful presentation!

Amy — June 6, 2010 @ 11:38 pm

This looks fabulous!

Jenn — June 7, 2010 @ 2:00 am

omg your plating/presentation is superb! Ha love the name too!

Becca — June 7, 2010 @ 4:36 am

Absolutely FABULOUS! For the record, we called those carb-laden sins of Hell “Moon Over Miami” eggs. Why Miami? God if I know… as sinful as they are, maybe they should be called “Moon Over Vegas” eggs!

Suzy — June 7, 2010 @ 6:21 am

LOVE the term ass-friendly! We called the devil(bread) version of this “egg in a nest” at our house growing up!

ErinsFoodFiles — June 7, 2010 @ 9:14 am

I saw your picture, and I was like “Hmm… I’ve seen this somewhere.” DUH, I subscribe to that magazine! Girl this photo is magazine-worthy!

Josie — June 7, 2010 @ 11:08 am

A few things: 1. Great presentation and photo
    2. This looks really tasty
    3. I love the term “ass-friendly”

branny — June 7, 2010 @ 1:18 pm

This looks great :)

Erin @ One Particular Kitchen — June 7, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

Holy crap!! Amazing pic, sister! I freakin’ love the carbaholic version of this, so I’m definitely trying yours. How yummy!

Jessica @ The Cooking Chick — June 7, 2010 @ 11:00 pm

Your plate looks gorgeous! It’s always great to find healthy alternatives to classic recipes – thanks for trying it first and giving it a good report.

Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes — June 8, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

Love the smiley! I call them “eggs in a basket” – and this is definitely another good basket idea! xxSAS

FOODESSA — June 8, 2010 @ 4:04 pm

I absolutely love the title you gave this very simple and yet tasty dish.
    It’s not new to me…however, I want to thank you for refreshing my memory so that hubby can get a surprise breaky this weekend.
    Nice discovering your blog and thank you for your visit ;o)
    Flavourful wishes, Claudia

Lexi — June 8, 2010 @ 10:07 pm

I still eat eggs in a hole except I’ve always called them eggs in a nest or hole in the wall.

hannah @ thepastrykook — June 9, 2010 @ 12:09 am

your presentation is so gorgeous! and i agree, carbs are evil! i think i had too much carbs today and im feeling oh-so-guilty :(

DessertForTwo — June 9, 2010 @ 9:45 am

You crack me up! I love your Ass-Friendly recipes! This is a beautiful dish, I’m going to try it at my next brunch! Thanks! :)

Presley — June 9, 2010 @ 10:01 am

Thanks for the comment! You are hilarious! Ass-Friendly meals, that’ll be my term for them from now on. And One-Eyed Martha, love it. This looks delicious – you had me at asiago. And it’s nice to see something simple presented nicely – I always feel like my meals are just a bunch of stuff thrown together on a plate.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — June 9, 2010 @ 10:03 am

That is a really funny looking dish, but I still want to take a bite! Testing out your gourmet plating skills, I see ;) Lovely job!

Chef Dennis — June 9, 2010 @ 10:34 am

What an intersting take on the one eyed jack!! I love the pepper around it, great presentation and perfect image!!!
    I was going to leave a comment on your lime bars, but I was scrolling down for 5 minutes and still hadnt reached the bottom….lol…
    Cheers
    Dennis

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot — June 9, 2010 @ 4:11 pm

This sounds so amazingly delicious! I love red peppers! I’ll have to try it sometime soon. Thanks!

Chocolate Freckles — June 15, 2010 @ 7:53 am

This looks gorgeous!!!! Great idea for a nice sunday brunch!

David — June 16, 2010 @ 5:12 pm

I love the simplicity in this recipe and the pictures!
    And your blog header is super cute.

Jackie — July 8, 2010 @ 3:15 pm

I love this idea! I think I am going to have to try it this weekend!

Tara — May 4, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

I’m so glad you pulled this out of the archives! I cannot wait to make it!

Bell Pepper Egg Rings {Vegetarian} | VeggieConverter — February 6, 2014 @ 1:17 pm

[…] Pepper Egg Rings Adapted from One-Eyed Martha. […]