Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork*

When I moved to Florida, from Texas, I discovered something truly heart breaking. They have NO IDEA what a brisket is. None. In Texas, BBQ = Brisket. Brisket is a tough piece of beef that is smoked until it is deliciously tender. It is served with a warm, tangy, thin sauce called “mop sauce” or BBQ sauce depending on the chef. Texans also love to have the brisket chopped up, doused in mop sauce, and sandwiched between two thick slices of soft white bread.

Here in Florida, they only have pulled pork or pulled chicken…and it is always smothered in a sweet, thick BBQ sauce. My family and I were not exactly thrilled, after stopping at multiple places claiming they had the BEST BBQ EVER, to find pulled pork. But after trying it multiple times, and having it made in different ways, we discovered that we do enjoy it. It is definitely no match for a delicious Brisket…but it does make for a tasty crockpot dinner!

I love mine served with tons of onions, on a potato bun, and served with Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce. It is really the only way to eat pulled pork. Also, no that isn’t a typo, this recipe does call for you to use Coke. Sounds crazy…but works so well! I promise you will love it!

Print Save

Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork

1 pork butt (around 3 lbs)
2 liter Coke
3 tablespoons garlic salt
1/4 cup chili powder
1 to 1 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (I recommend Sweet Baby Ray's Original)

Season entire pork with garlic salt and chili powder. Pour a little coke in the bottom of the crock pot and add the pork butt. Add enough coke to almost cover pork -- you do not need to cover meat completely. Cook on low for 8 hours. It can cook longer, no worries if it has to sit a little longer.

Remove pork from crock pot and discard 97% of coke mixture...leaving just a little behind to help moisten the pork. Place the pork back into the crockpot and then use two large forks to shred the meat.

Add BBQ sauce and combine (above it says 1 to 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce, which just means add as much, or as little, as you like). Leave slow cooker on low, or warm, to keep things hot until you are ready to serve. Serve on soft hamburger buns (we love it on the potato buns) with additional sauce for the sauce addicts. You can also add a little chopped onion and pickles on your sandwich if you like. Store leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight conatiner, for up to 3 days.

TNCB

58 Responses to “Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork”

ErinsFoodFiles — June 22, 2010 @ 10:01 pm

Oh yum, and great photo!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — June 23, 2010 @ 12:21 am

Oh my gosh, this looks mouthwatering! I have a very similar recipe on my blog, too. I love how you used Coke though – I’ve never heard of that before! I could eat this every single day, mmmm.

Sharlene — June 23, 2010 @ 7:33 am

Mmmmm!! Pulled pork is one of those things I love if it’s done well but can’t stand if it’s not. I’ve never made it at home but since I’m so picky with restaurant pork I’ll have to try this out. Time to make use out of that dusty crock pot!

Cydney — June 23, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

I do love my pulled pork but I have a fine appreciation for brisket and chicken, too. Where I grew up, up here in NC, barbecue is… pulled pork. :) I also like it on potato rolls, but we serve it with slaw. Not coleslaw, just “slaw.” ;)

I’ve had “Coca-cola ham” before, but will definitely have to give this a try next time I do pork butt in the crock pot! OH, and you have to watch this…

Jessica @ How Sweet — June 23, 2010 @ 2:01 pm

You’re a gal after my own heart. Pulled pork ranks up there as one of my most favorite meals ever. I have never tried it with Coke!! Will definitely be trying your recipe very soon!

melissa — June 23, 2010 @ 2:18 pm

Oh yum. I love pulled pork. Especially easy pulled pork that doesn’t sit in my oven for 13 hours!!!

If you’re missing good brisket you have to come visit me in Orlando. We have a fairly new BBQ place – Four Rivers – which is AMAZING and known for their delicious brisket. They serve it sliced and also chopped on a sandwich. SOOO GOOD.

Alex — June 23, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

I make pulled pork quite often, never thought to use coke. I can see it being quite tasty though. The picture certainly looks it!

Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork » The Novice Chef Blog | BBQ Tweets — June 23, 2010 @ 7:20 pm

[…] In Texas, BBQ is a brisket, cooked till it is delicious tender and served with tangy, thin BBQ sauce. We also love to have the brisket chopped and in a sandwich. Well, here in Florida they only have pulled pork or chicken and they serve … Here is the original post: Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork » The Novice Chef Blog […]

tigerfish — June 23, 2010 @ 9:55 pm

I do miss a good’ol pulled pork sandwich!

Bo — June 23, 2010 @ 10:15 pm

Looks great…I love BBQ…I prefer pork to beef.

Cookie Sleuth — June 23, 2010 @ 10:26 pm

I’ve lived in Texas and Tennessee, and I love BBQ! Pulled pork is my favorite. I’ve made it in my slow cooker, but I haven’t included Coke. I will have to try this. Yours looks so much more juicy than mine.

Mary — June 23, 2010 @ 11:02 pm

Jessica, that sandwich is enough to make even one who has just finished eating hungry. It is a really nice and almost effortless recipe. I love your blog and your recipes. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

Polwig — June 23, 2010 @ 11:04 pm

I guess now that I live in Virginia, almost the Carolinas I should learn how to make pulled pork. Really a 1 bottle of coke… yummy

Christine @ Fresh Local and Best — June 23, 2010 @ 11:07 pm

I like that you added coke to this pulled pork. It truly does help tenderize the meat. This sandwich looks so good! Btw, there’s a giveaway for an All-Clad pan on my blog, if you’re interested in entering.

Krista — June 23, 2010 @ 11:14 pm

Ohhh, I know what you mean about the brisket! I moved to Oklahoma and discovered it for the first time, then moved to California and they’d never heard of it!! What loss! This pulled pork looks fantastic – so juicy and flavorful. :-)

Kim — June 23, 2010 @ 11:23 pm

Thanks for visiting my blog today! I love brisket and never thought of using coke, but it looks and sounds like a delicious way to cook a brisket!

I also love your popsicle recipe below, definitely a great low calorie sweet option. I loved how you have it labeled as “ass friendly” – LOL!

Ivy — June 23, 2010 @ 11:24 pm

Thanks for passing from my blog. Never had anything like this before but it certainly sounds delicious.

elra — June 23, 2010 @ 11:53 pm

wow Jessica, this pulled pork only has only 5 ingredients, very simple and delicious!

Jeannie — June 24, 2010 @ 1:05 am

Wow! this look seriously good! I am drooling!

Katerina — June 24, 2010 @ 1:07 am

This is what I miss from my life in the States. i just love this type of food. This brisket looks delicious.

tiina { sparkling ink } — June 24, 2010 @ 2:42 am

This looks like the perfect thing for a 4th of July get-together! My fiance loves pulled pork sandwiches – and I have to say, me too!:)

Chiara — June 24, 2010 @ 4:56 am

When I lived in Florida I used to make a recipe that is very similar to this. Looking at it makes me want to make it again, only problem is I don’t have a crockpot here…

Jackie — June 24, 2010 @ 6:00 am

Jessica, what a beautiful blog and what tasty looking food! I must admit, however, that BBQ has never been something I could wholeheartedly love. I think it’s actually my aversion to BBQ sauce that does it – in my opinion when the meat is so wonderfully slow-cooked and beautiful sloshing it in thick, gloppy BBQ sauce ruins it… but then maybe that’s because I’ve only ever had thick & gloppy BBQ sauce! Who knows what the BBQ world would hold for me were I to try your variation…

Also, I regularly make Coca-Cola ham, so this doesn’t sound mad to me at all! It gives it a beautifully smokey and caramelised flavour – love it, so good call!

Jax x

Chef Dennis — June 24, 2010 @ 6:36 am

I do love pulled pork, but nothing can beat a good brisket! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!
    Cheers
    Dennis

Allie — June 24, 2010 @ 7:16 am

Oh my gosh!! That looks absolutely delicious! You are an awesome photographer too! I will definitely be trying this!

girlichef — June 24, 2010 @ 7:42 am

This looks crazy delicious! Pulled pork is one of my favorite meals…perfectly summer =)

Debbie — June 24, 2010 @ 7:53 am

I was reading this late last night and was really excited. I have never made my own pulled pork dish, I think my hubbie will love the fact that you use coke! You think it would taste funny if I used diet coke instead?

bianca — June 24, 2010 @ 11:32 am

I loooove brisket; so much! I have never made it myself before and I must say I am surprised to see Coke in there. But you are from Texas where BBQ is king; so I trust you!

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — June 24, 2010 @ 1:03 pm

Looks good! I like the sound of using the coke in this recipe!

Stella — June 24, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

Hey Jessica, my Cauldron Boy just came back from Dallas complaining about how there is no good BBQ or any type of good food at all here. So I’m sure he’d love your proper Texas brisket in tangy sauce.
    p.s. We live in St. Pete and are possibly moving to Texas soon…

Friday Delights — June 24, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

Mmmmm, great photo ;) !!!

Kristen @ Change of Pace — June 24, 2010 @ 2:55 pm

This post cracked me up. We are from North Carolina and think you Texans and Floridians don’t know how to do BBQ ;)

We are military so we’ve actually lived in both Texas and Florida so we’ve got to sample all the different variations. I think it’s all about what you are brought up on. Love the post girl :)

lisaiscooking — June 24, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

I’ve finally come around to enjoying different kinds of bbq sauces. And, I love the magic of Coke when slow cooking.

and flowers pick themselves — June 24, 2010 @ 4:04 pm

you had me at slow cooked!

xo Alison

Raina — June 24, 2010 @ 5:34 pm

I must admit Massachusetts, where I live, is probably way worse with our knowledge of good barbecue. That is why I am thrilled to see your recipe. It sounds so good. Love that it is in the crockpot! Thanks for recommending the barbecue sauce too. I can never find one I like. I would love to go to Texas someday just to try real authentic barbecue:)

Baking.Serendipity — June 24, 2010 @ 7:08 pm

This sandwich looks so good! I love the potato bun :) When my neighbor graduated from high school, her uncle came up from Texas and made brisket for her graduation party. Best. thing. ever. :)

Krishnaveni — June 24, 2010 @ 10:48 pm

lovely photo…with professional touch…superb

grace — June 25, 2010 @ 6:08 am

pulled pork is something near and dear to my heart, and i’m OH-so-picky about it. i like lots and lots of sauce (sweet baby ray’s is a favorite of mine, too!), some crisp, cool slaw on top, and a beefy kaiser roll to hold everything together. gadzooks–is 7 am too early for barbecue? :)

Preeti — June 25, 2010 @ 7:38 am

This looks so yum and awesome!

Reeni — June 25, 2010 @ 9:57 am

I always wanted to make this! My Dad would love it. This looks delicious! Nice and tender and flavorful.

Krystal R. — June 25, 2010 @ 11:14 am

How funny, I’m making this as well this weekend for my little cousin’s graduation party. I’m using good ole root beer or BEER as my soaking solution. hehe
    This looks pretty tasty!

Suzy — June 25, 2010 @ 1:09 pm

NOBODY knows brisket/BBQ the way TX does. Sad fact!
    I love the idea of using Coke with this! I’m sure it really helps out the flavor and the breakdown to get it nice and tender!

Deborah — June 25, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

I love brisket and have eaten it several times – once even in Texas!! I do love pulled pork, though, and this recipe sounds wonderful!

Ashley — June 25, 2010 @ 4:26 pm

Oh man, I have got to make this!!

kalli@fitandfortysomething — June 25, 2010 @ 5:01 pm

that looks so good!

sweetlife — June 26, 2010 @ 12:41 am

all hail the mighty brisket….I’m Texan so I know brisket, and Sweet Baby Rays we buy this sauce all the time, great recipe…we also love a good brisket taco…

sweetlife

Martha — June 29, 2010 @ 8:58 am

Not sure where you are in Florida but if you are anywhere near my area head over to Goldrush BBQ in Venice – they serve a delicious BBQ beef brisket! :-)

Martha — June 29, 2010 @ 9:01 am

Almost forgot – Your crock pot pulled pork looks delicious! I’m with you on the Sweet Baby Ray’s sauce. I prefer to mix the sweet brown sugar and the spicy one together.

Becca — June 29, 2010 @ 4:03 pm

I am so making this soon! I have a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray’s in the pantry just begging to be used up. I love love love barbecue (yes, pulled pork is barbecue to me, I’m from Florida!) and this sandwich looks fabulous!

crockpot recipes pulled pork — May 15, 2011 @ 3:41 am

[…] The Novice Chef В» Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork Jun 22, 2010 … Almost forgot – Your crock pot pulled pork looks delicious! I'm with you on the Sweet Baby Ray's … […]

Wendy — July 16, 2011 @ 7:06 pm

Made this tonight, delicious! Sweet Baby Rays was definitely a great choice. I now have a very satisfied (and stuffed!) husband!

Kelly — October 11, 2011 @ 7:30 pm

I made this today and it was super easy! Popped into the crock pot this morning before work, came home 10 hours later and took it out. Was super tender and easy to shred, put BBQ sauce on it and let it heat up a little more while I made some corn to go with it. Didn’t taste any coke at all, but it was still delicious! TFTR!

• Jessica replied: — October 14th, 2011 @ 12:12 am

So glad you liked it! It’s one of my all time favorite tailgate dinners! And no, the coke is to help cook and tenderize the meat…not as much for flavor. :-)

The Novice Chef » Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas — January 29, 2012 @ 9:57 pm

[…] 4. Meat covered in BBQ sauce. […]

Brittany — March 30, 2012 @ 11:44 pm

OH my gosh! I made this last night and it was AMAZING!!! Your recipes are amazing and great for people who don’t cook a lot (like me). Thank You and I will definitely be trying many more!!!

The Novice Chef » Texas Pecan Roca — November 27, 2012 @ 3:35 pm

[…] and see more cars than trucks on the roads. And I was downright appalled when people told me that Pulled Pork was the best BBQ ever…I mean, where’s the brisket?!?! How can pork that has been […]

The Novice Chef » Upscale Party Food for Super Bowl 2013 — January 18, 2013 @ 2:14 pm

[…] Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches […]

The Novice Chef » Pulled Pork and Caramelized Onion Quesadillas — August 19, 2013 @ 1:53 am

[…] Pulled pork makes me so happy and I never mind having leftovers. It is the best thing I have ever seen come out of a crock pot and I never get tired of it. Jorge and I will eat it as a topping to Mac & Cheese, stuffed in a sweet potato or any other way we can get it. There are just so many options for the leftovers! […]