Homemade Ginger Ale (A big fat flop)*

Ya, that’s right! I made my own freakin’ Ginger Ale!

:::DRUMROLL:::

It tasted like crap. I don’t know what I was expecting? I guess I am so used to the over processed stuff from a can that the real stuff just doesn’t cut it. I know I followed the recipe word for word. It made perfect carbonation, just like it said it would….and it looked the same as their pictures in color. But it tasted…gross. I can’t even describe it. Not sweet, overly gingered, yeasty….and just not good.

I never blog my flops, but recently I have been asked by multiple people if I ever have any flops since they never see them here…and I tell them yes! It happens probably 1 out of 10 recipes. Sometimes they are just not great…they are ok, but not “blog worthy”. But then there are times, like this ginger ale, where it is a massive fail.

You can see the recipe here.

Have you ever made homemade Ginger Ale before? What did you think about it? Maybe real Ginger Ale just tastes funny?….Or maybe there is something off in the recipe?

P.S. Working on answering some of FAQ that I get asked quite often. If you have any questions, now would be the time to submit them! Either by email (jessica@thenovicechefblog.com) or just click Contact up above and use the contact form!

15 Responses to “Homemade Ginger Ale (A big fat flop)”

Kelly — July 2, 2010 @ 2:49 pm

What a bummer! The pictures look great though. I think I’m still going to try it myself and see how I feel about the taste. I love ginger, but a “yeasty” taste…um no. Wonder if there’s another way to create the carbonation without the yeast.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — July 2, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

Haha! Did you take these beautiful pictures before or after you tasted it? It’s, er, refreshing that you’re able to share your downfalls as well. Great post, even if the drink was a flop!

• Jessica replied: — July 2nd, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

Georgia,

I took them before lol!

Huge disappointment after I took a big gulp from the glass!! :-(

Laura — July 2, 2010 @ 3:15 pm

What a bummer! I’ve had a recipe for ginger ale saved for a long time but I haven’t gotten around to making it.
    Good to know that you don’t have it perfect eeeevery time! :)

Cookie Sleuth — July 3, 2010 @ 12:00 am

Even though it doesn’t taste good, it really looks good! I love the bottle.

Sharlene — July 3, 2010 @ 9:07 am

Wow! Even though it didn’t turn out as expected I’m definitely impressed that you tried to make ginger ale. Such an ambitious project! I hope you keep trying and perfect it!

Jen_from_NJ — July 3, 2010 @ 9:44 am

I’ve had many flops too! I love this post and give you credit for even attempting homemade ginger ale. Happy 4th!

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot — July 5, 2010 @ 10:55 am

LOL I laughed so hard at the first few sentences! I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you though. I’m not a huge ginger ale fan and if the homemade version has an intense ginger flavour then I’m sure I’d like it even less. I’m glad you blogged about it because it’s important to be honest sometimes because we can all learn something from our mistakes. Nobody’s perfect. :)

bianca — July 6, 2010 @ 12:16 pm

I made ginger ale once in culinary school for a project and it was also a big fat flop. Personally I am going to let the experts at Schwepps brew my ginger from now on!

Chiara — July 7, 2010 @ 2:39 pm

I don’t even like ginger ale, but I have to say that I like flop posts. Not because I’m a horrible person, but because it makes all of us readers feel better about our own!

impressed none the less — July 8, 2010 @ 9:06 pm

Wow I’m impressed that you made your own carbonation and everything!! But I guess thats why it tasted yeasty… hmmm doesn’t sound too good AT ALL!! I read this other blog where the girl made ginger ale but she used carbonated water and made her own simple syrup. That may taste better?

let us know if you try again!!

Homemade Soft Pretzels » The Novice Chef Blog — September 22, 2010 @ 11:56 pm

[…] days I know I can conquer just about anything in the kitchen except homemade ginger ale. And so when I was at the mall last month, shoe shopping of course, I smelled the Auntie […]

Cynthia Brennemann — January 5, 2012 @ 1:06 am

I have made my own ginger ale, and my own root beer, and my own ginger beer (I was an adventurous kid, lemme tell ya) and I have to remind ya’ll that the BREWED recipes are BEER, and ALE. Fermentation is always going to eat up sugars and give you that alcoholic yeasty flavor. The stuff I produced was gleefully confiscated by my neighbor who was a policeman (my mom was a teetotaller and did NOT approve of the outcome, so she called him over to get the stuff) who pronounced it just like he used to have as a kid. To me it was gross…but then at that time anything remotely alcoholic tasted gross.

If you want something that tastes like the bottled ginger ale and ginger beer you get today, rather than a brewed drink, you need to simply make a ginger syrup, and then add it to sparkling water, or use a co2 canister to cause bubbles in regular water.

These days I don’t mind the alcohol, and have started using ginger in my Kombucha Tea second ferment for a gingery taste to it. Think I might try making my own ginger ale or ginger beer again. But I will use honey rather than sugar (it’s sweeter and holds a ferment better) and will likely add some elder flower and lemon to the mix as well as using a yeast ment for brewing, not a bread yeast.

svnhddbst — September 8, 2012 @ 11:03 pm

on a whim i tried leaving it sitting next to me at room temp for about 2 hours. i then looked and noticed a white film on the bottom of the glass. the yeast had settled out of the ginger ale and the taste had drastically improved. it turns out that yeast just sorta gets held in suspension by CO2 production and if cooled and let rest for long enough at room temp will settle out and stop ruining the taste

Sweet y Salado — November 28, 2012 @ 12:52 pm

Love, love, love flop posts. It makes me feel so much better to read that not every expert is successful at every recipe. So it didn’t come out that great huh? Bummer, the pictures look like it would taste amazing.