Mashed Acorn Squash (100 Calories!)*

Am I really doing this? I mean….really? Am I seriously going to encourage you to make a recipe that breaks all of the cooking rules? A recipe that is 100% against everything a true foodie stands for? A recipe that actually involves a microwave, saran wrap, spray butter (you know, the crap that is not even close to actual butter?), and Splenda brown sugar? Yes, yes I am. I stand proud of this recipe. Yes, it may go against everything that a true foodie believes in. And ya, maybe it does have a lot of processed ingredients in it. But it is still squash dang it! And squash is good for you! And the best part is…you can have an entire half of a large Acorn Squash prepared this way for only 100 calories. It is amazing, delicious, and ass friendly. All the things that matter! And in case you are doubting me, I have served this to 3 other foodie friends without telling them how it was prepared…and they loved it! Try it!! And just close your pretty little eyes when you add the fake butter and fake brown sugar….because trust me, your waist line will thank you!

Print Save

Mashed Acorn Squash

Yield: 2 Servings

1 Acorn Squash
3-4 teaspoons Splenda Brown Sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
1 tablespoon butter (or if you like it, spray butter)
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
saran wrap

Cut squash in half (from stem to stem) and clean out seeds. Wrap each half with saran wrap, and microwave on high for 7 minutes. Carefully unwrap squash and check to make sure it is cooked (it should be easily pierced with a fork). If it is not cooked, place back in microwave and cook in 1 minute intervals until done.

Once squash is cooked, remove all saran wrap and using a fork, peel off the outer skin (as long as the squash is cooked, the skin will come off easily). Using your fork mash the squash and incorporate the butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Garnish with a little extra cinnamon and brown sugar and serve immediately.

100 calories in each serving.

A Novice Chef Blog Original

13 Responses to “Mashed Acorn Squash (100 Calories!)”

Chiara — July 13, 2010 @ 4:59 am

It looks really good, actually, and I trick people like that all the time, so don’t feel bad! Only problem is, spray butter doesn’t exist in Italy… I’ll have to have my boyfriend bring me some when he comes here!

Sharlene — July 13, 2010 @ 6:46 am

Haha! I’m going to have a hard time convincing myself to make this one given the ingredient list but I do love squash in all its forms so maybe it won’t be such a hard sell after all!

Patty Price — July 13, 2010 @ 10:37 am

One half an acorn squash, that’s not bad for 100 calories plus the extra ingredients, I bet it’s pretty good! It looks good:-)

bianca — July 13, 2010 @ 12:28 pm

I love ass friendly recipes, so much so, that I am going to completely forgive the processed stuff. Sometimes a girls gotta think about her ass in them jeans!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — July 13, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

I love “fall” flavors like this in the middle of spring and summer. This looks delicious! What a great side dish idea – I’m always in need of new ones!

Monet — July 13, 2010 @ 11:28 pm

I agree with Georgia…I’ve been loving fall flavors lately. This looks so yummy and healthy to boot! I need to make some acorn squash as soon as I can!

Kristen — July 14, 2010 @ 12:11 am

You are too funny! Thank you for considering all of our waistlines in the development of this recipe! Squash can end up So caloric.

The Internet Cooking Princess — July 14, 2010 @ 8:46 am

Ummm, this is a very big yes. My only problem is why am I just now finding this blog? Not to sound SWF, but you just replaced Gwen Stefani as my No. 1 girl crush.

Zucchini, Shallots, & Parmesan » The Novice Chef Blog — August 7, 2010 @ 8:23 pm

[...] a long history. I grew up hating it…well all of it except pumpkin when made into a pie or Mashed Acorn Squash. My mom would make it regularly and I would always avoid it like the plague. Then one day something [...]

Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut — July 25, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

Made these tonight…delish! Thanks for sharing and your blog is so cute! :-)

Laura B. — October 17, 2011 @ 5:00 pm

Yum! I’m going to make this for dinner with a cinnamon apple pork tenderloin – can’t wait till it’s ready! Thanks for sharing this!

Sweet and Spicy Butternut Squash Recipe — October 21, 2011 @ 8:25 am

[...] recipe by clicking here: Butternut Squash Soup Here’s some more inspiration from friends:Mashed Acorn Squash (100 Calories!) from The Novice Chef Butternut Squash Soup from Food + Words M&M White Chocolate Candy Corn [...]

Day 10. Neighbors. Acorn Squash Basil Soup. | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening — September 10, 2012 @ 3:02 am

[...] Squash with Chile-Lime Vinaigrette Iowa Girl Eats Stuffed Acorn Squash The Novice Chef’s Mashed Acorn Squash What’s Gaby Cooking Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash Good Life Eat’s Apple Pecan Stuffed [...]