Dude! You can totally freeze cupcake batter!*

Despite what they (and no, I have no idea who they is) you can totally freeze cupcake batter! Recently I made a batch of cupcakes and meant to quarter the recipe…but since I was too busy listening to music I made the full recipe instead. And I REALLY do not need 24 cupcakes in the house for just me…so I tweeted out that I wish you could freeze cupcake batter. And guess what? Someone tweeted me back this link to Cookies And Cups where she discovered that you really can freeze cupcake batter!

At first I was skeptical…maybe certain batches won’t work? Or maybe she was just extremely lucky….but really what did I have to loose (besides delicious cupcakes). So I pulled out my Ziplock freezer bags and froze about 6 cupcakes worth of batter per bag, this way I could bring them out whenever I needed too. Then a couple weeks later, I made a different batch of cupcakes and froze the left over batter from that batch as well.

Days and weeks go by…I went to Universal in Orlando…I finished up my summer semester of school…I went on a cruise…and then Jorge was home and to surprise him I whipped up a batch of Gumbo for him and thought he would love some cupcakes for dessert as well. So I decided to bring out the batter I had saved from the Cherry Coke Float Cupcakes. I let it thaw in the fridge and when I was ready to bake them I let them sit on the counter for about 30 minutes to come closer to room temperature. Then using the Ziplock baggie they were in, I pipped them into the cupcake containers (by snipping off the corner of the bag) and baked as directed in the original recipe.

I was so nervous. I kept turning on the light and looking in the oven. I just KNEW that they were not going to rise. I mean, not only did I freeze cupcake batter, but I froze cupcake batter that has Coke as one of the main ingredients! Definitely not your every day cupcake! But when the timer went off, I pulled them out, and they were beautifully domed cupcakes. They had risen and baked perfectly! And then I thought…they are not going to taste right. If they cooked so beautifully then they must taste bad. And at the very least, there is no way they will taste as good as they did fresh. But Jorge came into the kitchen and picked one up, unwrapped it, and took a huge bite…followed by a very loud, very enthusiastic “MMMMMMMMMM!!!!!” and followed with an “Oh My God, these are amazing!” and they were! They were just as good as the first day I made them!

So if you would like to have Cupcakes ready to go anytime or end up making more batter then you will need, FREEZE some cupcake batter! It works, it’s awesome, and it’s super easy!

30 Responses to “Dude! You can totally freeze cupcake batter!”

Crys Manson — August 8, 2010 @ 7:39 pm

Oh I really like this! I have a book called Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World but I hate having to make all of those cupcakes for just me. My hubby won’t touch them or any other delicious dessert. Now I want to go make cupcakes!

Debbie — August 9, 2010 @ 3:05 am

This is amazing! Also really useful when you’re in a rush, make up a batch when you’re lazing around, then ready to defrost and pop in the oven when you have people over and no time to bake. Perfect! Maybe I’ll double my batch today to try it.

Yael — August 9, 2010 @ 4:25 am

That is amazing! I have to try that- what a time-saver and great for those last-minute urges for sweet!

Amy @ The Nifty Foodie — August 9, 2010 @ 6:30 am

Oh wow! I do this with cookie dough all the time…had no idea it would work for cupcakes either!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — August 9, 2010 @ 11:22 am

What an awesome discovery – That’s sure to save me lots of time and money. Such a useful post. Thanks for posting about this, Jessica!

Jen @ BeantownBaker.com — August 9, 2010 @ 11:38 am

I wonder if you could just scoop them into the cupcake liner and freeze it that way. Then you could just defrost them and pop them in the oven.

Jen,
    Hmm that would be awesome if you could…but I would be worried about air on top of the batter and possible freezer burn. Also it would take up more freezer space that I don’t have. The ziplock freezes flat so it doesn’t take very much room.

It really was super easy to thaw and pipe into the cupcake tins!
    Jessica

Cassie — August 9, 2010 @ 11:44 am

Good to know! I love baking cupcakes, but hate having all the extras around the house. Now I don’t have to worry about halfing a recipe or throwing out any extra batter. Thanks!

Patti — August 9, 2010 @ 12:24 pm

I am a pastry chef for a restaurant group in DC (two restaurants, a cafe and a catering company) We make cupcake and muffin batters in batches of 100+ lbs each week and pop them into the freezer the minute we make them. We take the tubs out the night before and leave them in the walk-in and they are good to use for the next day, fresh as if made that morning.

Apres Ski — August 9, 2010 @ 1:38 pm

OMG! I can have my favorites any time of the year!
    EXCELLENT!!

Courtney @ Ice Cream & Wine — August 9, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

Ahh! This is so good to know! I made 12 cupcakes on Friday…they’re already gone. My husband and I have no self control…or maybe it’s just me. Ha! I’ll definitely try this now.

Elizabeth — August 9, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

Damn, I wish I had known that last week when I was experimenting making rootbeer float cupcakes. I made 3 batches of 24 and there’s only three of us to eat them all!! Thanks for this!

RazzleBerry Popsicles » The Novice Chef Blog — August 9, 2010 @ 10:17 pm

[…] not right….either way, married or not, my freezer is screaming single. It is filled with cupcake batter, the new Market Creation Lean Cuisines (sooooo much better than a normal Lean Cuisine), Three […]

Carol — August 10, 2010 @ 7:55 am

What a great idea! I’ve shied away from making batches of cupcakes with just 2 of us here-way too temping to overeat them, and though I could freeze them, it takes up space that I need for other things. Freezing the batter is definitely the perfect solution. Off to make some cupcakes….thanks so much! :)

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — August 10, 2010 @ 3:56 pm

ahh this is so good to know, I’m so glad you posted this info! :)

ingrid — August 19, 2010 @ 8:51 am

Cool! I read her post on it but like you have been leery. Good to know it wasn’t a fluke.
    ~ingrid

Sherry — August 19, 2010 @ 9:07 am

This is way cool! So glad you shared this!

Pauline — August 20, 2010 @ 3:59 am

Whoa. That’s so cool to learn! The magic of freezing has an unknown variety of uses. Now, we can have cupcakes in a jiffy whenever a random birthday comes up! Great!

FOODESSA — August 20, 2010 @ 7:47 pm

How fantastic is this.
    I still haven’t joined the ranks of cupcake making…and yet I find myself excited about this news. I’ll try this with muffin batter to see if it works too ;O)

Thanks for experiementing for us,
    Claudia

Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes » The Novice Chef Blog — August 27, 2010 @ 3:26 am

[…] particular cupcakes were great! I used my amazing cupcake freezing abilities and froze the leftover chocolate cupcake batter from the 100 Grand Cupcakes. So when it was time to […]

cristiane — February 6, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

can i froze my cupcakes before decorate them? on ziploc? for how many months? thanks.

• Jessica replied: — February 7th, 2011 @ 12:48 am

I like to freeze my batter rather then bake and then freeze. But if it is too late, you can freeze the actual cupcake (without frosting). Wrap them with no air in saran wrap, followed by a layer of foil. Then place in a large ziploc bag. They should keep for 3 months.

Ceallaigh — April 5, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

I scoop the frozen batter directly from the freezer to the liner and bake, has worked perfectly every time.

Kepanie — June 10, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

What a great tip and reference! I doubled Martha Stewart’s One-Bowl Cupcake recipe b/c I had 60 to make and was like can I freeze the batter possibly? What the heck do I do w/the leftover batter?

Freeze Cupcake Batter « Recipes — August 8, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

[…] Link: Freeze Cupcake Batter […]

The Novice Chef » Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes — December 2, 2011 @ 1:06 am

Nevada bankruptcy attorney — January 15, 2012 @ 8:51 pm

This is awesome. I just made a batch of red velvet and there’s no way were gonna eat all of them – so i just decided to google can you freeze cupcake batter….thanks for this article!

Emily — November 11, 2012 @ 2:01 pm

WOW! Who would’ve thought :)

Aisha — May 18, 2013 @ 10:36 am

WOW! I just started making cupcakes as a business and this is a great tip! Can this work for Hummingbird cupcakes as well?

• Jessica replied: — May 22nd, 2013 @ 6:08 pm

I have not tried it with Hummingbird Cupcakes – but it is worth a shot!

Nisha — November 18, 2013 @ 4:13 pm

This is such a helpful post. I was skeptical. I like how you freeze in bag, thaw, and pipe out from the same. No extra things to wash!
    Thank you for sharing this.