Zucchini, Shallots, & Parmesan*

Squash and I have a long history. I grew up hating it…well all of it except pumpkin when made into a pie or Mashed Acorn Squash. My mom would make it regularly and I would always avoid it like the plague. Then one day something changed…and I now eat all squash and love it! I even grew yellow squash and eggplant this summer!  And then because Florida is so freaking hot, my entire garden died. But about two weeks ago, on the complete other side of where my garden was…a plant started to grow. And I kept watering it and just waiting to see what it was….and it grew and it grew….and it grew! I eventually had to go buy a trellis to allow it room to continue growing. I still had no idea what it was…but eventually it bloomed…and it grew a Zucchini! Actually it grew a bunch of Zucchinis! I have NO clue how the seed got there…since I have never grown Zucchini before. My Mom says that something like this can happen if a bird gets into trash and gets some Zucchini…and nature takes its course…and the bird does its business there. However it happened to get there, I am thrilled that it did! It is still producing Zucchini and besides some herbs and Eggplant, is the only thing growing despite this heat. So with all the Zucchini it has been making, I have been on the hunt for more recipes for it. This particular recipe was delicious. We (my Mom and I) LOVED this recipe! It was delicious and the perfect side dish to just about anything! And for 167 calories per serving…you can’t go wrong!

Zucchini, Shallots, & Parmesan

Yield: 4 servings

3 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 lg Shallots, chopped
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 cups sliced Zucchini
1/2 c freshly shredded Parmesan
Salt & Pepper, to taste

In a nonstick skillet over low, heat olive oil. Add shallots and cook on low until they are soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, mix well, and allow to cook for 1 minute.

Add Zucchini, salt, and pepper. Saute over medium-low, turning occasionally, until cooked through, but not wilted. About 10-13 minutes.

Once the Zucchini is cooked thoroughly, sprinkle Parmesan over Zucchini and toss quickly so that it is evenly distributed. Serve immediately.

167 calories per serving

Adapted from: The Family Kitchen

15 Responses to “Zucchini, Shallots, & Parmesan”

Tara — August 7, 2010 @ 10:06 pm

I love zucchini and this looks delicious!

Courtney @ Ice Cream & Wine — August 8, 2010 @ 6:43 am

Oooh, I just love balsamic vinegar! This recipe will aid in my addiction!

Evan @swEEts — August 8, 2010 @ 8:22 am

I used to gag every time my mom made us eat squash at dinner time.. I would plug my nose and chug my milk just to get it down ha but now I love it and love finding new ways of cooking it up! :) Thanks for sharing!

Wicked Chef — August 8, 2010 @ 2:17 pm

As a fellow Floridian, I can really sympathize with your entire garden biting the dust – so did mine. Pretty much everything died except some eggplant, okra and jalapenos. So depressing after all that hard work. Your zucchini dish sounds wonderful – will have to give it a try…

Jen_from_NJ — August 8, 2010 @ 2:22 pm

I am always on the lookout for creative ways to use my abundant zucchini – good one!

Tanya @ Life in 3D — August 8, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

This looks so heavenly I didn’t even have to read the full post…the title..the picture…I’m in love :)
    {p.s. the fact that one of the labels is “ass friendly” makes my day! lol } Thanks for stopping by!

kerri — August 9, 2010 @ 7:04 am

i’m totally making this tonight for dinner… i have a ton of zucchini in the fridge screaming to be made! ;)

Julie Roberts — August 9, 2010 @ 2:55 pm

So glad I came across this recipe. My friend just brought me over some zucchini to use and I had no idea how to cook it. I printed this recipe to try. looks amazingly good and easy.

tahitia — August 10, 2010 @ 10:45 am

Just made this for lunch, LOVE IT!!!! So happy I have another recipe for zucchini. I only had one large zucchini which I think came to about 2 cups. But it was still good. I’m a little embarrassed to say I ate the whole thing…

ErinsFoodFiles — August 10, 2010 @ 12:28 pm

Oh yum! And how crazy that it just grew on it’s own! Personally I prefer yellow squash over zucchini, but I still really like zucchini! Hey, you should make the Zucchini Spice Cupcakes!

Amy — August 19, 2010 @ 9:42 am

This looks delicious and simple!

Kelly — August 26, 2010 @ 12:11 pm

I made this last night as a side to some steak (which, BTW, I made a cocoa-chili-cumin rub for, and seared in a cast iron skillet, and it was delicious!) and it was wonderful. I LOVE zucchini and most of the time just steam it and use a bit of butter and grated cheese on top, but this was a great change for me. Simple to do, too! Two thumbs up on this one :)

Kim — February 4, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

Jessica,

You recommended me these yesterday. I made them with my Rosemary chicken kabobs and it was such a nice side to add with my main dish. Love how “fresh” this tasted. Thanks for sharing!

• Jessica replied: — February 7th, 2011 @ 12:51 am

Kim! Glad you liked it :-) My Mom makes it all the time after I made it for her once. It’s just such an easy, fresh side dish!

betsy — June 22, 2011 @ 10:12 pm

i just made this for my vegetable-hating, incredibly picky husband and he went apeshit nutz over it. huge hit!