Black Bean Burger Salad*

a

I know…what is that? It is what I call a Black Bean Burger Salad. Lately I have gotten sick of eating my usual dinners and have been trying to figure out some new things. Being a single married lady 5 days a week can lead to some interesting dinners…sometimes they turn out tasty…sometimes they turn out horrendous…and sometimes like this they turn out awesome! A few weeks ago my kitchen was pretty bare and I was starving for dinner. I had Spicy Black Bean Burgers in the freezer…but I didn’t have any buns. And to be honest, I haven’t had any bread in the house for a while since I am trying to diet…and cupcakes carbs are definitely one of my enemies! And after a little fumbling around for what I would eat…I put this together. It is almost a “smothered” chicken style…but with a few twists. Ever since that day, I have been eating this for dinner a few nights a week. It’s fast, it’s delicious, it’s easy to make for just one person and it’s completely ass friendly!

Print Save

Black Bean Burger Salad

Yield: 2 Servings

Recipe Notes: Yes I know some people are not going to be too thrilled that this recipe uses a frozen burger. But I really do LOVE the 120 calorie Spicy Black Bean Burger from Morning Star. And I love it even more because it is so easy to make in this! However, if you would like to make your own, I do have a recipe for Spicy Black Bean Burgers.

2 Spicy Black Bean Burgers
2 tablespoons BBQ sauce (I recommend Sweet Baby Rays original)
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 medium roma tomato, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 avocado, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook burgers according to directions on box. I usually cook mine in a skillet, but you can also cook them in the oven or even the microwave. While the burger is still very hot, top each burger with 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce and cheese, allow to melt. Then split the remaining toppings between the two. Finish with a little salt and pepper and serve immediately.

Calories per serving 290

The Novice Chef Blog Original

14 Responses to “Black Bean Burger Salad”

Jennifer — September 16, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

That looks delicious! I’m going to try it for lunch tomorrow! And I’m all for the frozen patty ;)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — September 16, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

you know what made me just fall more in love with this blog? the fact that this amazing recipe is posted under ‘ass friendly’. i love it!

Eliana — September 16, 2010 @ 2:32 pm

What a fantastic dinner idea. Love that it’s healthy and quick to prepare. I can see myself enjoying this a few times a week as well.

Samarie — September 16, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

THIS LOOKS VERY YUMMY!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — September 16, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

I love that salsa-type combination of toppings! I bet any leftover topping would be great with tortilla chips, too. Thanks for sharing this, Jessica!

Becki D — September 16, 2010 @ 3:24 pm

ohhh my goodness this sounds absolutely fabulous, actually. My Hubs would never touch the balck bean burgers (frozen OR fresh) so I’m thinking this would make a great lunch option for me, me, me! Thanks for sharing! :-)

DessertForTwo — September 16, 2010 @ 3:50 pm

This looks like my kind of dinner for sure! Thanks for sharing which brand of black bean burgers you use. I’ve had such trouble finding a good one. And when I make them from scratch they fall apart in the pan. Black bean hash? Not as good as burger :)

Katie — September 16, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

I love that you put “ass friendly!” This looks amazing.

Krystal R. — September 16, 2010 @ 8:51 pm

Yum…and this is a great dinner for one! I love hearing about your ass-friendly dishes, my booty thanks ya!

notyet100 — September 16, 2010 @ 9:24 pm

looks delicious

Alyssa — September 16, 2010 @ 9:56 pm

Looks delicious and I happen to have every single ingredient you listed in my fridge already but wouldn’t of thought to use it all with the Black Bean Burger patties I have in the freezer. Perfect, now I know what we’re having for dinner Friday night!

Miri Leigh — September 17, 2010 @ 6:14 pm

I seriously eat this same meal a couple times a week! Love it! Def no bun, who needs the carbs? You and I think alike, girl.

ErinsFoodFiles — September 17, 2010 @ 8:39 pm

I totally did stuff like this all the time when I worked the night shift. YUM!

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — September 20, 2010 @ 8:29 pm

That looks like a tasty black bean burger!