Homemade Ravioli*

I am so excited to tell you that…I made it to Round 4 of Project Food Blog! I have all of you to thank for your votes….so THANK YOU! Wish I could send you all Cupcakes or something! :-)

Round 4 of Project Food Blog I think has been one of the hardest yet! Showing how to make something by pictures has never been my thing. I am just too scatterbrained for it! I kept having to remind myself to take photos of each step of making the ravioli! And my biggest challenge this round was lighting. Sadly my kitchen has one window and a large tree in front of it…which means barely any natural light filters in. But I worked with what I had and I am pretty proud of how it all turned out!

I chose ravioli because yesterday my amazing friends and family threw me a surprise birthday party and with all the celebration…I may or may not have had a hangover this morning. And what better way to recover from a hangover than on your feet for 4 hours making Ravioli by eating a bunch of alcohol absorbing carbs? I made two kinds of ravioli. A Portobello Mushroom Ravioli and a Lobster Ravioli. Both were served in an incredibly fattening, insanely delicious cream sauce. The fillings are very simple and easy to follow, so I decided to use all of my efforts towards photographing the actual ravioli process. You can find all recipes at the end of this post.

You will need:
5 cups flour, all purpose/whole wheat or a mix (plus extra for dusting)
1 to 1 1/4 cup warm water
4 eggs
1 teaspoon salt

Equipment:
Rolling Pin
Pasta Machine
Ravioli Press
Cookie Sheet
Baker’s Joy spray

Starting with the paddle attachment in your stand mixer add salt and eggs, 1 at a time, and mix. Then add flour 1 cup at a time, alternating with water. Once the dough begins to form into a ball, switch to the dough hook attachment and allow to knead on medium for 5 minutes.

Remove dough from stand mixer, and form into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and allow dough to rest for 30 minutes. Or dough can be refrigerated up to 24 hours.

Spray ravioli maker with Baker’s Joy or with your Misto filled with Olive Oil if you have one.

Once dough has rested, divide into 8 sections. Keep any dough you are not currently using covered in plastic wrap or it will dry out. Using your pasta machine, roll out 1 section of dough.

Place first sheet of rolled dough over ravioli maker and dust with flour.

Place ravioli press on top of dough, and press gently to create indentions.

Remove carefully.

Fill with your choice of filling!

Roll out a second section of dough and lay on top. Use your fingers to press out any air pockets.

Using a rolling pin, roll on top of the metal ravioli maker until you can clearly see the metal.

Remove excess dough, and set aside to use in your next set of ravioli.

Flip ravioli maker over and pop out ravioli!

Place ravioli on well floured cookie sheet and allow to sit for 1 hour.  After the first hour, flip ravioli onto the other side and allow to sit for an additional hour. Then the ravioli can either be prepared right away or frozen for later use.

Yields 60 ravioli.

To prepare ravioli, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil for about 10 minutes, in batches, pushing the ravioli back down into the boiling water with a wooden spoon as it floats to the top.  Drain the ravioli and toss in your favorite sauce! Serve immediately!

Ravioli dough recipe adapted from My Kitchen Addiciton.

As for my fillings and sauce, I chose three different recipes. Each were absolutely delicious, but I was very partial to the Portobello Mushroom Ravioli! They were absolutely amazing!

47 Responses to “Homemade Ravioli”

amanda @ fake ginger — October 10, 2010 @ 5:07 pm

I’ve been waiting for your post ever since you did the Twitpic of the ravioli! YUM!! I bet they were so delicious. And you did a great job on the step-by-step photos!

Courtney — October 10, 2010 @ 5:08 pm

This looks and sounds delicious! Love mushrooms. Awesome job!

Robert L Davis — October 10, 2010 @ 5:12 pm

I’ve got to try the lobster ravioli!!!

Jessica — October 10, 2010 @ 5:13 pm

That ravioli maker is awesome. I’ve never made homemade ravioli but I love lobster ravioli. Congrats on advancing another round! Good luck!

Amy (Sing For Your Supper) — October 10, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

Great job, Jessica!! What a neat little ravioli maker thingie (you can tell I don’t make much homemade ravioli!)- it all looks perfect and your post is wonderful! Hope your surprise birthday party was awesome! You know you’ve got my vote, girl- best of luck!!

Karen Lopez — October 10, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

Mushroom ravioli looks wonderful. Whenever I get something like this in a restaurant, the ravioli soak up ALL that wonderful cream sauce…

It’s Thanksgiving in Canada this weekend, but I think I might give these a try once the leftovers are gone. I’ll probably take the easy route and just do triangle-type pasta. Although…I love kitchen gadgets as much as tech gadgets, so maybe I do need a ravioli “template”.

Thanks for a great how-to.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 10, 2010 @ 5:52 pm

That ravioli looks beautiful! Excellent job.

Sakura — October 10, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

All I can say Jess is that you inspire me to learn to cook. I want to make these. Thanks for such wonderful recipes. I am slowly making my way through many of yours. Congratulations on your latest win. I will vote for you again. :) Good luck on the next round.

notyet100 — October 10, 2010 @ 8:25 pm

perfect pictorial,..good luck for the next challenge,..;-)

Shannon — October 10, 2010 @ 9:05 pm

What a great job!! I always thought that ravioli would be insanely time consuming and hard to do but you just made it look really do-able and now I am totally craving lobster ravioli!! Good Luck!!!

emily (a nutritionist eats) — October 10, 2010 @ 9:10 pm

I need a ravioli maker! I never knew such a thing existed!!
    You’ve got my vote – great pictures!

Anna — October 10, 2010 @ 9:30 pm

Loved your post, I got that ravioli maker last year and never used it, to tell you the truth I had no idea how it works. A bit dumb I know…lol But your ravioli look stunning… Good luck in this round. Have a great week.

Jenn — October 11, 2010 @ 12:38 am

Ooh I love this! Such a great job, and your raviolis look awesome!

Becca — October 11, 2010 @ 6:18 am

YUMALICIOUS! You’re doing a wonderful job, Jess… KEEP IT UP!

Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon — October 11, 2010 @ 8:07 am

Lovely ravioli and congrats on making it through to the next round of competition.

I don’t know how people manage to photograph the steps…I only have two hands and they are always mixing or stirring or otherwise engaged in cooking.

Cydney — October 11, 2010 @ 9:13 am

Yum! Looks so delicious! Hope you had a Happy Birthday, too!

Debbie — October 11, 2010 @ 9:14 am

Oh that Lobster ravioli is just calling my name! I must go buy one of those ravioli makers now!

Krystal R. — October 11, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

Oh my, this looks fantastic. I’ve been dying to make homemade ravioli as well, you made it look as easy as pie! Great job, and I voted for you, too!!

Jenna — October 11, 2010 @ 1:55 pm

Amazing! I need to make ravioli at some point–my Mom just gave me a pasta maker for my birthday earlier this year and I have yet to use it (!). I’d better hop to it.

Jen — October 11, 2010 @ 2:01 pm

I totally need a ravioli maker.

Brie — October 11, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

that is a pretty impressive little assembly line you’ve got there – i want one! great photos, it looks delicious. voted – good luck!

whatsfordinneracrossstatelines — October 11, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

Yumm, I love raviolis and I think you used just enough photos to show how to make them. Have my vote! Good Luck!
    -Gina-

5 Star Foodie — October 11, 2010 @ 4:21 pm

Your ravioli looks outstanding, and a terrific step-by-step tutorial! Good luck, I will vote!

sippitysup — October 11, 2010 @ 5:36 pm

Love and yum. Oh and stunningly gorgeous. GREG

ErinsFoodFiles — October 11, 2010 @ 5:48 pm

Wow! This is incredible! I’m mega impressed, and I wished you lived closer. LOL

Crystal's Cozy Kitchen — October 12, 2010 @ 11:40 am

I sent a little red heart your way – Good luck!

Amelia from Z Tasty Life — October 12, 2010 @ 12:14 pm

it is so satisfying to make home-made ravioli (I made something similar too). well done!

natalie (the sweets life) — October 12, 2010 @ 12:52 pm

just voted! love how perfect your ravioli look!

Reeni — October 12, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

Making ravioli is something I’ve been wanting to do – you make it look so easy. I’m totally inspired! They look absolutely delicious!

katie o. — October 13, 2010 @ 5:57 am

oh my word that looks tasty. and congrats on making it through to the next round! that’s fantastic!
    and did i mention how awesome that set up is you’ve got going on? i think i could love your kitchen.

Sharlene (Wheels and Lollipops) — October 13, 2010 @ 7:26 am

Ravioli can never ever go wrong with them. Beautiful !

Samarie — October 13, 2010 @ 9:04 am

I did vote for you, and let me tell you, the ravioli look delicious. I hope you make them for me soon… :D

Whit@AmuseBouche — October 13, 2010 @ 9:04 am

omg mushroom ravioli sounds devine, and its only 9 am right now!!

Isabelle — October 13, 2010 @ 9:40 am

I love that so many of us decided to make some variation on stuffed pasta for this challenge. :) Great job… I totally have ravioli press envy (I had to cut mine out by hand. Boo).
    Great job with this tutorial! You’ve got my vote.

Leah — October 13, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

That’s a nifty ravioli maker. I think my husband would kill me if I went out and bought another kitchen gismo though.

Daily Spud — October 13, 2010 @ 4:08 pm

I’ve never even seen a special ravioli maker and I now want one! That and a pasta machine to go with it. *Then* I can make your ravioli and be happy :)

Savory Sweet Living — October 13, 2010 @ 4:48 pm

You made my favorite fillings, lobster and mushrooms so of course I have to give you one of my hearts. Great pictures and the raviolis look delicious. Good luck!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — October 14, 2010 @ 10:25 am

It’s just a matter of time until I move to a house with a big kitchen, have room for all these tools, and make my first batch of ravioli. When I do, I will remember this recipe. They look divine! Congrats on moving up the Project Food Blog ladder!

Eliana — October 14, 2010 @ 11:37 am

Awesome tutorial. You will certainly make it throught the next round with this one. (and of course, have my vote)

Sharlene — October 14, 2010 @ 11:48 am

Congratulations on making it into the next round! That ravioli maker makes it look so much easier. I’ve always been afraid of how tedious ravioli making seems but have always wanted to try. Looks like I’ll be doing some shopping!

Peggy — October 14, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

These raviolis look downright delicious! Great tutorial and the best of luck to you! Sending my vote your way for sure!

Lori — October 14, 2010 @ 2:53 pm

We have a place here in ROcheser where you can get frozen ravioli and these two that you made are my favorites. I must make these. You have done an outstanding job!

Kerstin — October 14, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

They look so perfect – such an awesome tutorial! I voted :)

Emily Z — October 16, 2010 @ 4:17 pm

I have never made my own pasta of any kind… although my mother gave me her old pasta maker, so I probably will do so in the near future. Your ravioli looks fantastic! Good work and congrats on making it so far! Good luck!

Holly — October 16, 2010 @ 7:21 pm

Congratulations! My mouth is watering just reading your post! Could you please tell me the brand of your pasta machine? Thanks!!!

Project Food Blog: Indian Pizza » The Novice Chef Blog — October 17, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

[…] happy dance! I was really worried about making it into this round, because 4 other people also made ravioli! But, thanks to you and the awesome judges…I did! This round is titled Recipe Remix and we […]

Pretty. Good. Food. — October 21, 2010 @ 9:17 pm

Mmm, these look and sound delicious! I have to get myself one of those fun ravioli maker things :)