Day 7: Cinnamon Spirals*

7 has never been a lucky number for me. When I turned 7, my best friend in the whole world moved far away. In 7th grade my boobs reached a DD which resulted in tons of torture from the other kids (little did I know that big boobs would be a GREAT thing come highschool). And guess what? Lucky #7 failed me again. This time for the 12 Days of Ass Friendly Christmas Cookies. These cinnamon spirals were a big fat fail. I thought about moving things around and just filling in this space with another cookie…but I figured everyone needs to see that we all make flops in the kitchen from time to time. And trust me this one was bad.

Burnt, nasty, disc cookies…mmmm….appetizing huh?

The dough, was AMAZING. Seriously, holy yum. And I did step by step photos of the process of these cookies. I had such high hopes, but when I popped them in the oven this is what came out. Yes, I am sure I used all the right ingredients, all my ingredients were fresh, and I used the correct amounts. But they just didn’t work.

So I dropped the temperature by 50 degrees and cooked them about the same amount of time…and they cooked ok. But they actually appeared to have shrunk when cooking. And they were still pretty crunchy…and had almost no flavor. they definitely did not taste anything like the dough did!

If I made these again, I would add vanilla to the dough, probably a teaspoon of brandy, a dash of nutmeg, and about a 3rd cup of sugar. And I would have to play around with the amount of baking soda to figure out how much. But at that point, it would no longer be anywhere close to the original recipe…and just not worth trying.

If anyone wants to try and find what went wrong, or what you would change, you can find the recipe here, Cinnamon Spirals.

But it definitely wasn’t all bad…I got to play with my food and eat cookie dough. :-)

8 Responses to “Day 7: Cinnamon Spirals”

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean — December 15, 2010 @ 3:16 am

sorry these didn’t work out quite right…love that you posted it anyways…and love your flour writing:)

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — December 15, 2010 @ 9:25 am

Bummer that they didn’t turn out, but nothing wrong with eating all that yummy delicious cookie dough! Sometimes that is the best part :)

Caroline — December 15, 2010 @ 2:52 pm

As much as I hate failing, I figure it’s only fair to share – no one is perfect. I can appreciate someone who can talk about failures just as much as successes, I think it makes us all feel better about ourselves! :) It’s a shame they didn’t work out – such a great concept of a cookie!

Evan @swEEts — December 15, 2010 @ 3:59 pm

I hear ya girl! I just had a flop of cookies last night as well.. such a shame to waste good cookie dough.. but its good to know we’re in good company when it happens :) They sure did sound like they’d be good!

Sharlene — December 15, 2010 @ 5:07 pm

I’m sorry your cookies didn’t work out! That last picture is hilarious though.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — December 15, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

Oh, Jess, these are awesome! My mom always makes these with leftover pie dough, and to this day, it’s my ultimate little comfort dessert/snack. Love ‘em! Thanks so much for sharing these cinnamon spirals of your own and reminding me how great they are this time of year. :)

Xtine — January 19, 2012 @ 12:23 am

I realize this is an old post but I just found your blog and have been browsing. :) I love this (not ass friendly) version of cinnamon pinwheels that was in Parade magazine: http://www.parade.com/food/recipes/parade/122009-cinnamon-pinwheels.html

• Jessica replied: — January 20th, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

Oh awesome! Thanks so much for sharing Xtine! :-)