Red Hot Apple Cider*

Growing up I was not a hot drink person. I would occasionally have a hot chocolate, but it was incredibly rare. However, when Christmas would roll around you could always count on me to be double fisting Red Hot Apple Cider. I don’t know if it is the combination of sweet and spicy that I love so much…or if it’s just the warm feeling I get all over when drinking this. What I do know is I had to throw out the last half a box of red hots I had to keep myself from overdosing on Red Hot Apple Cider! It doesn’t help much that I have zero self control it is only 2 ingredients and takes less than 5 minutes to whip up a batch.

Print Save

Red Hot Apple Cider

Recipe Note: I placed a decent amount of Red Hots in the bottom of the glass just for looks, no need to do it when you are actually drinking it :-)

1 quart Apple Cider, homemade or store bought
1/4 cup Red Hots

In a large sauce pan or a large tea kettle, heat cider and red hots over medium high heat, constantly stiring. Once red hots have completely dissolved, remove from heat, and serve in mugs! Garnish with a cinnamon stick if you want to get fancy. :-)

A Novice Chef Blog Original (if you can actually call 2 ingredients original lol)

6 Responses to “Red Hot Apple Cider”

Jennifer — December 21, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

Yum! I have a similar recipe, but instead of using red hots, you can substitute cinnamon schnapps.

Amanda L. — December 21, 2010 @ 9:45 pm

Oh man! This sounds so outrageous that I have to try it! Love it!

kristina — February 2, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

A friend and I exchange a new ingredient every Christmas and this year she gave me Vietnamese Cinnamon. Have you ever tried it? It smells exactly like red hots instead of sweet like regular cinnamon. Seems like something you might enjoy?

• Jessica replied: — February 2nd, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

I have never heard of Vietnamese Cinnamon but it definitely sounds like something I would really enjoy! I love red hots…I am going to have to keep my eye open for it! Have you found anything to use it in yet?

kristina — February 2, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

I made hot chocolate with it the other day and it was amazing! I recently found a recipe for cinnamon rolls that used it- I would think they’d be just a bit spicier than regular cinnamon rolls. I was also thinking of making popcorn with it. Yum!

Sarah | Shine Food — December 3, 2012 @ 4:01 pm

I’m with Amanda–this is so outrageous it’s kind of irresistible! We’re celebrating holiday favorites on the Shine Supper Club this month, and a recipe like this would be a perfect contribution!