Fried Soft Boiled Egg*

Is it a hush puppy? Or a short, fat corndog? Or maybe its a weird looking fried Twinkie? No, it’s none of that. It’s better. Wayyyy better.

Bet you wouldn’t have guessed that one! It’s a Fried Soft Boiled Egg. Which in case you are still questioning what that is, it’s a soft boiled egg, breaded in breadcrumbs, and then fried to perfection. When I saw these today, I literally stopped every thing I was doing, which was watching a rerun of Will & Grace…so not like it was super important, and went and made them. These were hands down phenomenal. Or should I say Eggcellent? …Gawd I’m corny.

I had my first one right out of the pan with just a little salt and pepper. And it was perfect. But then I went a step farther and put two on top of a Winter salad with lots of arugula and pine nuts. The crunch from the nuts, with the pepper from the arugula, and the egg with the runny yolk? Perfect. Just…perfect. Make these now. Seriously, now.

Print Save

Fried Soft Boiled Egg

Recipe Note: The recipe states to cook your egg for 5-6 minutes. But if you are smart you will invest in an egg timer thingamagig that cooks perfect eggs every time.

You will need:
4 eggs
2 tablespoons flour
1 beaten egg
½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
canola oil for frying

Bring a pan of water to a boil and gently submerge the eggs into the water. Boil for 5-6 minutes and then remove and place in a bowl of ice water. Let the eggs completely cool in the ice water which should take about 10 or 15 minutes.

When cooled, peel the eggs by gently tapping them around the equator of the shell. It’s easiest to peel the horizontal middle of the eggs first and then remove the rest of the shell. If the shell is difficult to remove, gently slide a spoon between the shell and the egg, dislodging the shell.

Heat 2 cups of vegetable oil in a small saucepan. While that heats, place the flour, the beaten egg and the breadcrumb in 3 separate bowls. Mix a little salt and pepper into the breadcrumbs. Dredge each soft-boiled egg in the flour, then coat with the egg and then finally with the breadcrumbs. Then re-dredge the egg in the yolk and a second time into the breadcrumbs for a nice thick coating.

Drop a bit of breadcrumbs into the oil and if it sizzles quickly, the oil is ready. Using a small stainless steel wire strainer (also called an Asian skimmer or spider strainer), gently place one egg at a time in the hot oil. Gently turn the egg with the strainer to brown on all sides. This should only take no more than 30 seconds. Remove the egg to a paper towel and continue with the rest of the eggs.

Serve on top of just about anything, or by themselves. My favorite way so far was on top of an arugula salad with pine nuts!

Adapted from: Circle B Kitchen

Pin It!

54 Responses to “Fried Soft Boiled Egg”

Brooke — March 14, 2011 @ 11:25 pm

Gorgeous! LOVE this idea!

Kyle — March 14, 2011 @ 11:28 pm

Isnt that what a scotch egg is?

• Jessica replied: — March 14th, 2011 @ 11:44 pm

No, actually a Scotch egg is hard boiled, so no runny yolk. Then it is wrapped in sausage. Then it has a layer of thick breading and deep fried.

Denise — March 15, 2011 @ 12:46 am

Woah. I’ve never seen that before. Will definitely have to try it.

jenn — March 15, 2011 @ 1:00 am

oh yum! i will be making this tomorrow for sure!!!!!

notyet100 — March 15, 2011 @ 2:32 am

yummmm

woolf — March 15, 2011 @ 4:17 am

wish i was at home, honey. but i’m in the office!!!
    and now i’m simply dying here….
    n♥

Mika — March 15, 2011 @ 4:37 am

Wow, this is a wonderful idea!!
    I like the fact that the yolk is still runny…

Lisa (Dishes of Mrs. Fish) — March 15, 2011 @ 4:52 am

Two things.
    1. I did have those salt and pepper shakers. Until I was filling them up with salt and pepper and couldn’t get the lids on the bottom back on. So sad because they are so cute.:)
    2. I’m not even a fan of hard boiled eggs, but I want this for breakfast right now!

• Jessica replied: — March 15th, 2011 @ 11:19 am

Mine are REALLY easy to put the bottoms back in. They were $3 at TJ Maxx ;-)

Blog is the New Black — March 15, 2011 @ 5:22 am

Egg-cellent job. Bahahaha.

Mandy - The Complete Cook Book — March 15, 2011 @ 6:21 am

Egg-cellent is absolutely right! YUMMO. :-) Mandy

Sunit — March 15, 2011 @ 7:02 am

Oh yummy! Looking at this reminds me of the first time that I made mozzarella sticks – loads of fun. :D

Kim @ Feed Me, Seymour — March 15, 2011 @ 7:08 am

I think my heart just stopped… That looks so incredible. I think I might try mine on top of a tortilla and some salsa!

• Jessica replied: — March 15th, 2011 @ 11:20 am

Oooo that sounds great too! I keep coming up with ideas of what I want these on top of!

Leah (So, How's It Taste?) — March 15, 2011 @ 8:40 am

Told ya I’d read this post while enjoying my morning coffee! I’m salivating over that egg. So simple and yet looks absolutely divine. I bet it would be great over a salad. I’m trying this out soon!

Erin — March 15, 2011 @ 8:53 am

Those are beutiful

Dirk — March 15, 2011 @ 9:01 am

I got to try this!!

DeAnna — March 15, 2011 @ 10:35 am

OH MY GAWD. That looks wonderful!! Breakfast is my favorite meal, so I will definitely be trying this one. Any suggestions for St. Patrick’s Day dishes? I’m thinking of trying Alton Brown’s Shepherd’s Pie.

• Jessica replied: — March 15th, 2011 @ 11:20 am

My suggestion? Beer! LOL I am not a big St. Patties Day girl…but I love beer!

Nicole — March 15, 2011 @ 10:44 am

That looks fabulous. What a wonderful idea! Sounds yummy and savory to put on top of a salad.

Nicole — March 15, 2011 @ 10:45 am

Eggcelent is right! I’m your newest follower.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 15, 2011 @ 11:24 am

These look fantastic and your pictures are amazing! If I made these for my husband he’d be thrilled.

Melissa — March 15, 2011 @ 11:30 am

These are so amazing looking! I had never heard of these before.

Lauren — March 15, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

Oh wow! What a great idea. Cant wait to try.

Joanne — March 15, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

Oh my lord. That is NOT what I would have guessed was inside that little breaded sphere. I love me some egg yolk so this looks so good.

Kristina @ spabettie — March 15, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

I saw these yesterday too, and OH WOW, I want to make them!! this looks SO good with the runny yolk… Mmm, just perfect!

Tamara — March 15, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

This looks so good. I’m going to try it this weekend!

Tony — March 15, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

Wow! That looks delicious. I wish I thought of it myself!!!

Sharlene — March 15, 2011 @ 5:09 pm

Oh my goodness does this look good!! I’ve seen a lot of deep fried things but an egg is a new one. Yum!

Link Love Lunch | Lovin' Losing — March 16, 2011 @ 11:40 am

[...] The Novice Chef: Fried Soft Boiled Egg [...]

Lainey_Elizabeth — March 16, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

I want to put one of these on top of my salad for dinner…but I don’t think that would be ass friendly and my wedding’s only 58 days away. So I will be eating this in exactly 59 days!

Amanda L. (Tales from a Kitchen Misfit) — March 16, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

I’ve made fried poached eggs before (Does that even make sense?) and they were a huge mess! I may have to try this instead!

Chiara — March 17, 2011 @ 5:55 am

Oh my… I about died just looking at those. They look amazingly delicious! Where did you get the idea from?

kirbie — March 17, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

Oh my gosh. I had these at a restaurant not too long ago. I loved it. I never thought I could try making my own. I’m buying an egg timer and doing this this weekend!

Lannae — March 19, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

Wow! That is really a wonderful dish! I love the oozy yellow yolk.

Paula — March 20, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

I just showed my husband this. Think I know what we will be having for breakfast sometime this week. It’s so pretty!

Michelle — March 21, 2011 @ 8:20 am

Oh my gosh, that looks amazing. Cool AND delicious, so how can you possibly go wrong?

Lainey_Elizabeth — March 21, 2011 @ 1:48 pm

I made it Saturday. It was so good! Thanks Jessica!!!

Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes — March 22, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

WOW is all I have to say. How creative – and soft boiled eggs are one of my all-time faves.

Fried Soft Boiled Eggs « Bella's Bistro — May 4, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

[...] you to The Novice Chef for the [...]

eva — May 5, 2011 @ 8:09 pm

This looks soooo deeliciously! I have to try this someday! =)

Michelle — May 5, 2011 @ 8:09 pm

WOW. These are amazing!! Can’t wait to try these.

The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time — August 2, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

Holy cow, girl, you’ve just about made me the kind of happy only my man can do. This is egg heaven. Runny yolk and deep fried to boot. No wonder you stopped watching TV to get this going. I would stop what I was doi

Polish Mama on the Prairie — August 16, 2011 @ 4:03 pm

This looks delicious. I cook my soft boiled eggs for three minutes. Hoping they turn out this yummy :) I would love to put this on top of a parsley/caper/shallots salad.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli — September 15, 2011 @ 11:07 pm

Don’t mind me…just doing some blog stalking before bed! Haha! I just had to leave a comment and say 1. Omg, I have to try this, 2. Omg, your photography is absolutely amazing! and finally, 3. I’m in love with your S&P shakers! ;)

The Novice Chef » San Francisco — November 30, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

[...] my Fried Soft Boiled Egg doesn’t seem half as [...]

Louise — March 23, 2012 @ 6:05 pm

Hi, I went online today to get a recipe for fried soft bolied eggs and read this one first: http://www.circle-b-kitchen.com/food-and-recipes/2011/3/14/panko-crusted-fried-soft-boiled-eggs.html
    Then I looked at yours. Your recipe came out a few days ahead of the other one, and they’re practically the same, so I think you got ripped off! Don’t know the etiquette about blogs, just annoyed me to think someone would copy someone else’s recipe almost word for word. Great recipe though, love these eggs!

Vinitha — March 28, 2012 @ 2:53 pm

These look amazing! Can’t wait to try them :D

Vinitha — March 28, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

These look amazing! Can’t wait to try them :D

Check out my site: thinksweet.me when you get a chance!

John — July 8, 2012 @ 1:11 pm

Made them and it was a great recipe. I recommend boiling the egg for 8 min. Thanks

Joseph — December 5, 2012 @ 11:10 pm

OK. question #1. How was you able to take a picture and not just think ” Oh heck, I just have to eat that? @2. Did you know, that you have people wanting your salt & peper shakers? Call me, we can make a deal. #3. How ws you able to come up with such an awesome meal. ( I was going to ask, rekon how much fat gams at in that beautiful egg?) LOL nawww.. I really don’t care, anything that looks as good as these eggs, are going in my belly!!

J Diz — August 22, 2013 @ 9:17 pm

So I was pretty inspired by these, like you, and was describing them as a climax for the taste buds to friends and then I got an idea. Fried soft boiled eggs is just way too long to say. Climax Eggs are so much easier… but I can’t just name someone else’s recipe so I changed it slightly so I could rename. Ok I didn’t really change the recipe… why would you?! I just change the… well you will see.

This is a climax egg.