Ladyfingers*

A few nights ago I discovered Hoarders. I have heard people talk about it before…but you really aren’t prepared for what you are going to see. Since this is a food blog, I will spare you the gory details, but you should not watch it late at night if you plan on sleeping. So after watching two back to back episodes of Hoarders, I couldn’t sleep. So instead I channel surfed until I found myself on Jeepers Creepers (the first one, which was actually good, so no judge-y eyes please). And then there was no turning back. People with 7 feet of crap trash tumbling in on them? A psycho monster that comes alive once every so many years…that just happens to live on a country road that looks identical to the road outside my window? Well sleep was apparently not on my horizon.

So I did the only thing any normal person would do…I popped in a DVD of Will & Grace and started making Ladyfingers for Tiramisu. Wait, maybe that’s not what most normal people do…but considering my only other option was to go crawl in bed with Jorge who sleeps with a sleep apnea masks that makes him sound just like the monster in Jeepers Creepers sounded?! Ya, Ladyfingers sounded like the much smarter option.

Ladyfingers are a very important part of a good Tiramisu. And this recipe for them came out perfect! I was really excited and ended up tossing them straight into my glass dishes and topped them with espresso soaked liquor and marscapone cheese to create beautiful individual Tiramisus. Which means that I never took a picture of just the Ladyfingers. I can’t believe I forgot! And to make matters worse, the recipe I tried for the actual Tiramisu was definitely not a winner. So I am still on the hunt for the perfect recipe and I actually got one in my email today all the way from New Zealand that I can not wait to try out! So hopefully one day soon I will be sharing a praise worthy Tiramisu, but for now, here are some dainty Ladyfingers that you can bookmark until I finally find the perfect Tiramisu recipe!

Print Save

Ladyfingers

Yield: 30 Ladyfingers

You will need:
6 egg whites
2/3 cup granulated sugar + 2 tbsp.
5 egg yolks
1 cup minus 1 tbsp. all purpose flour
powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 450F. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat.

Whip egg whites while gradually sprinkling the 2/3 cup of sugar until stiff.

Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining 2 tbsp. of sugar and egg yolks until well mixed.

Fold 1/2 of the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites. Fold the rest in.

Sift the flour over the egg white mixture and fold until flour is well incorporated.

Using a 1/2″ round tip, pipe into ladyfinger shapes or 9″ discs if you wish. About 1/2 – 3/4″ high and 1″ width for ladyfingers.

Dust ladyfingers with powdered sugar and let stand for 15 minutes. Dust one more time until sugar is absorbed. (No need to dust the discs.)

Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden.

Desserts by Pierre Herme by Dorie Greenspan and Pierre Herme

19 Responses to “Ladyfingers”

notyet100 — March 24, 2011 @ 1:23 am

my fav dessert,will be waiting for the recipe

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking — March 24, 2011 @ 6:20 am

Perfect timing — I’m hoping to whip up some ladyfingers soon! And now I can’t wait to watch Hoarders . . .

The Cooking Teacher — March 24, 2011 @ 9:15 am

Making tiramisu with my students right now and we didnt get delivered the ladyfingers I ordered. Just happened to check my mail and find this! Thanks Jessica :c) GOing to give it a try with the kids – hope it goes well!

• Jessica replied: — March 24th, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

You have to let me know if it works out!

Joanne — March 24, 2011 @ 11:26 am

I can’t watch hoarders. I’ve yet to figure out why exactly that show is so creepy…maybe because the people on it resemble those really insane people from the middle-of-nowhere who are actually psycho killers. Hmm.

It always drives me crazy when I go to make tiramisu and realize how expensive ladyfingers are! Love that you made them yourself. I’ve made a Bailey’s-infused version of tiramisu that’s on the blog if you want to give it a go!

• Jessica replied: — March 24th, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

Ohhh…love Baileys! Off to go look! ;-)

Eat Good 4 Life — March 24, 2011 @ 11:58 am

My cousin recently made a comment about it on FB. He was watching it :-) and loving it, I can’t find myself to do for more than 5-10 minutes. Some people are really sick….
    Anyhow I wanted to ask you, where did you get those pretty parfait glasses? I need to get new cooking gear :-) Not Marshalls or TJ right?

• Jessica replied: — March 24th, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Nope for once not one of those! They have them at Walmart for like a dollar a piece! :-)

Paula — March 24, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

Beautiful looking and two thumbs up to you for making your own ladyfingers.

Happy When Not Hungry — March 24, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

This is such a great idea! Never thought to make my own lady fingers. Thanks for sharing!

Neisa — March 25, 2011 @ 8:00 am

I watch Hoarders too, it’s great inspiration to clean the house. It never fails, I watch it and immediately start cleaning!

Kimberly (unrivaledkitch) — March 26, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

these are beautiful

I hate searching around everywhere for lady fingers when I want Tiramisu. Now i don’t have to!

Your photos are fantastic
    thank you for sharing.

Patty H. — March 26, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

Your pictures of the Tiramisu are awesome…I’m sorry it didn’t come out well, but at least having the Lady Finger’s recipe ready to roll will help!

Never watched Hoarders, but I’ve heard a lot of people that do. Too weird.

Laura — January 25, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

Made these today and they turned out perfect. I made a batch yesterday with another recipe, and they were bunk. Thanks so much for making my tiramisu possible!

• Jessica replied: — January 26th, 2012 @ 5:10 pm

Yay! Glad they worked out!

I have the ladyfinger part down…it’s just getting my tiramisu to work that’s hard!

Tide and Thyme » Ladyfingers — February 6, 2012 @ 8:16 pm

[...] Source: Desserts by Pierre Herme by Dorie Greenspan via The Novice Chef [...]

Colin Withrow — March 23, 2012 @ 7:33 am

Very good blog post.Many thanks again. Cool.

Ladyfingers (a.k.a. Savoiardi) | Scrumptious and Sumptuous — September 4, 2013 @ 4:03 am

[…] Tide and Thyme via The Novice Chef via Desserts by Pierre […]

Melody — December 12, 2013 @ 2:14 pm

Are these ladyfingers hard or soft?