Meringue Kiss Cookies*

I remember my very first Meringue like it was yesterday. I was 15 and was in the car with this guy that I was head over heels in love with (turns out he was gay, but that’s another story for another day). And he handed me a beautiful Meringue cookie. It was dark purple with streaks of white. He told me that he and his Mom had made them the night before (I know, how did I not know he was gay!?). So I saw him shoving the whole cookie in his mouth at once and I remember thinking, wow how klassy. So of course to be lady like, I bite through it with my front teeth. Fast forward to 2nd period when my girlfriend pulls me into the bathroom and shows me that my front teeth are completely purple. It looked like I was missing my two front teeth. Needless to say I have not had a Meringue cookie again…till today.

Today I tried a Meringue again for the second time. Mainly because they look so damned cute…but also because I hadn’t actually realized that Meringues were the cookies from that day. I hadn’t remembered the name and I had also partly blocked out that memory. But once I took a bite out of one of these, the memory came rushing back. And boy am I glad I only made them in pink, white, and yellow! :-)  This Meringue recipe was easy, but piping them all can be a pain. Just keep your hand/arm steady and you should be able to get those perfect little peaks!

Print Save

Meringue Kiss Cookies

Yield: 24 cookies

4 eggs whites
1 cup sugar
Pinch of tartar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Food coloring/dye of your choice

Line to bake sheets with parchment and heat oven to 175 degrees F

Place sugar, egg whites and tartar in a bowl over (not on) simmering water. Constantly whisk the egg whites until the sugar has dissolved.

Pour the egg mixture into a clean bowl. Using a whisk attachment on a stand mixer or a hand held mixture, slowly beat egg mixture. Add in vanilla extract and any food coloring if you are using it. Gradually increase speed and continue to beat mixture until stiff peaks have almost formed. Mixture is ready when whisk attachment dipped into mixture leaves a curled but stiff peak when removed.

Transfer mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a close or open star tip and pipe ½ inch to ¾ inch wide cookies, making sure to set them one inch apart from one another. Bake at 175 degrees F for 1 ½ hours, then turn off oven and leave the door slightly ajar for meringues to cool down with the oven. Store meringue cookies in an airtight container away from any heat or moisture. Alternatively, store them in the freezer where they can be enjoyed straight from the freezer without any defrosting.

1 cookie: 35 calories, 0 fat, 8 carbs, 0 fiber, 0.7 protein

61 Responses to “Meringue Kiss Cookies”

Min {Honest Vanilla} — March 2, 2011 @ 4:11 am

they look so perfect! for a first timer? unbelievable! love the colour combo too, all too sweet ;)

• Jessica replied: — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:23 pm

@Min {Honest Vanilla}, Thanks girl! They were pretty easy…but then again I have had a lot of practice with a piping bag from cupcakes! :-)

Sunit — March 2, 2011 @ 5:36 am

Those look gorgeous! I’m really impressed ;D

Also, welcome to WordPress :P You might want to change the permalink settings (so that rather than showing a p=92348128 in the URL you get a nice name :), and use the “Dean’s Permalinks Migration” plugin so that all the old links still work.

Lisa (Dishes of Mrs. Fish) — March 2, 2011 @ 6:11 am

These look so pretty!

notyet100 — March 2, 2011 @ 6:26 am

luved reading ur post,..;-)

The Teacher Cooks — March 2, 2011 @ 8:05 am

These are a beauty. I made them awhile back and did not pipe them. Yours are much more perfect!

Blog is the New Black — March 2, 2011 @ 8:07 am

Love this story, from the gay ex to the purple teeth! :) Your meringues look awesome. I’ve yet to perfect them. :(

Eat Good 4 Life — March 2, 2011 @ 8:43 am

Just made these a couple of weeks back although yours turned much better than mine. Perhaps next time I will consider adding some cream or tartar and dissolving the sugar prior to making the eggs stiff :-)

• Jessica replied: — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:28 pm

@Eat Good 4 Life, I would definitely use the cream of tartar again! Let me know if you try them again!

Anne @ Baking Me — March 2, 2011 @ 11:44 am

Pretty cookies! These look so good!

Shawnda — March 2, 2011 @ 11:51 am

They look perfect! Way to go on your first attempt!

Dionne @ Try Anything Once — March 2, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

Beauuutiful! I love the pretty spring colors too! I better keep practicing with frosting I don’t have a steady hand. Too much coffee maybe, I’ll have to admire yours.

• Jessica replied: — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:29 pm

Ha! I have found resting my elbow on the counter really helps me!

Amy @ The Nifty Foodie — March 2, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

Aww…I made that mistake too once in college. Totally had a crush on a guy who could NEVER have a crush on me, if you know what I mean. :-)

Those meringues are gorgeous, by the way! Great job!

• Jessica replied: — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

:-) I am so glad I wasn’t the only one! In my defense he was still in the closet and had dated many popular pretty girls lol!

Joanne — March 2, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

the thing that I love most about meringues is how you can have like five of them and still not do any real damage to your waistline. Plus they are so cute and sweet and delicious. That helps too.

• Jessica replied: — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:33 pm

I agree! Especially since I have been eating them by the handful! LOL

Leah — March 2, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

Yours look so perfect!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — March 2, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

lol love the story. I *think* I made these in middle school but I’m not sure. They look too pretty to not make sometime. Thanks for the recipe!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — March 2, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

Wow, Jessica these look incredible and they’re actually a lot more simple than I thought! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I’ll have to give these a try sometime soon!

• Jessica replied: — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:35 pm

I didn’t know either! Until I was looking to use up some egg whites! :-)

Ben — March 2, 2011 @ 9:18 pm

They are so beautiful!

peabody — March 2, 2011 @ 10:10 pm

Those are some really nice piped meringues. Which tip did you use?

• Jessica replied: — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:37 pm

Thanks! :-) I used the extremely large closed star tip from Bake It Pretty. I tried the smaller ones and they made tiny Meringues.

Robyn — March 3, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

Those are gorgeous! Love the pattern from the tip!

Michelle — March 3, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

They are beautiful. You did a lovely job!

Jenn@eatcakefordinner — March 7, 2011 @ 12:18 am

I love your photos – great colors!

Jen — March 8, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

They look so adorable! I love the colors :)

Christina of Form V Artisan — March 8, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

Awww, they remind me of Easter!!

Love it.

Posti4 — March 9, 2011 @ 6:54 am

Have to try this! I think that’s what my gay crush was thinking too! Ohh High School…the memories!

Faba — July 7, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

What tip did you use to pipe the cookies?

mis-cakes — July 28, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

I have just discovered my love of meringues. Yours are so pretty. I actually made some from left over marshmallow frosting. Now I am just going to have to make them again so I can try and make them look pretty. :)

Jessica — August 25, 2011 @ 9:02 am

These look great and I want to make them to add to a cookie/bar tray I am making for a baptism party. I’d like to make light blue and white (it’s a boy!). How much dye did you use to get the light pastel colors and when did you add it? Thanks!

• Jessica replied: — September 1st, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

Jessica,

Sorry to just be getting back to you, I was on vacation for the last week! You should add the food coloring once the stiff peaks have formed with the egg whites. And just add color a little by little until you get the color you want.

Hope you enjoy them and sorry for getting back to you so late! :-D

Cindy — February 10, 2012 @ 12:40 pm

You need to edit the instructions and include when to add the vanilla. I missed the step following the directions. Bummer!!!

• Jessica replied: — February 14th, 2012 @ 9:30 pm

Oh no! I can’t believe no one ever pointed out the error before. :-(

I have fixed it now…but I am so sorry you had flavorless meringues!

Julianne K — February 16, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

I love meringues, but unfortunately I don’t have a mixer at home, so I have to make them by hand. Time consuming, yes, but definitely worth it! :) Yours look so beautiful!!

Nicole W — February 18, 2012 @ 1:07 am

I made these for the first time tonight using this recipe for a baptism, and they turned out great. Even being a lot smaller, the time and temp worked, thank you so much! So cute!

Val — March 7, 2012 @ 9:27 pm

I fell in love with meringues that looked just like these when I was much younger; my family used to buy them from a local grocery store. Well I moved across the country, and no longer had access to this type, and the ones I found were very different then I remembered. So are these the light, airy, and crunchy throughout ones, or are these crunchy on the outside with a stickier middle?

• Jessica replied: — March 8th, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

As long as you heat them up to the correct temperature and let them cool completely before putting them in an airtight container, they will be crunchy throughout.

If it is a super humid day and they do not cool completely before being stored…they will be stickier in the middle.

Heather — May 27, 2012 @ 4:19 am

Wow! Did not know these were so simple. Thank you! I will be able to make these for birthday parties and baby showers instead of trying to find them in the store. Awesome!

Nurse Nicole — June 24, 2012 @ 6:15 pm

I love topping a couple of them with some light vanilla ice cream and frozen strawberries. Its a wonderful light dessert for summertime!

Catt_K — July 4, 2012 @ 11:59 pm

Thanks for sharing! ur meringue kisses are so lovely n pretty :D
    I tried making meringue mushroom last week and totally in love with
    meringue :)
    Just wondering what size of piping tip do u use? I tried using star tip, but
    it came out as a dallop instead :(

• Jessica replied: — July 5th, 2012 @ 1:53 pm

I used a closed star tip (where the front is rounded). Just make sure your egg whites are super stiff and it should hold a shape! :-)

Catt_K — July 5, 2012 @ 10:16 pm

Okay noted! Thanks for ur reply jess :)
    Have a great day ahead!
    xoxo from Singapore :)

Roberta — July 10, 2012 @ 12:16 am

I was curious if I can use gel food colors (americolor is what I have), or should I use oil based? Thanks :)

• Jessica replied: — July 10th, 2012 @ 1:23 am

I think the gel food colors will work great in these! :-)

Farzana — January 6, 2013 @ 6:15 am

Hi again!! can i use vinegar instead of tartar? if yes then can u please specify the amount??

• Jessica replied: — January 8th, 2013 @ 1:04 pm

I would recommend sticking with cream of tartar…because I am not positive how the liquid vinegar would work out. It might work, but I would hate to tell you yes and it fail completely.

Rhea — March 28, 2013 @ 2:07 am

Hi!I just recently made these(but with different recipe)and I would like to suggest making some cupcakes then using these meringues as toppers?Yours look so pretty :D when I made mine i didnt bother to pipe them…

Patricia — June 10, 2013 @ 12:46 am

What tip did You use exactly to pipe these? They are very pretty but more so sue to their shape!

• Jessica replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 10:33 am

I used the extremely large closed star tip from BakeItPretty.com. I tried the smaller ones and they made tiny Meringues.

Homemade Meringue Cookies | Mama T Can Do…. — November 27, 2013 @ 3:42 pm

[…] I found this recipe online at The Novice Chef, they look just like Miss Meringue cookies, so we decided to try them out, and we love them.  Been […]

Meringue Smoochies – {aka pwincess cookiesth} | brooke's nook — March 28, 2014 @ 1:12 pm

[…] RECIPE CREDIT […]

Yes, It Matters What Kind Of Kitchen Mixer You Use | TheGreenLifeStyle.info — June 19, 2014 @ 3:49 pm

[…] PHOTO CREDITS: Dough/Batter, Cookies, Cakes, Egg Whites, Meringue, Butter/Sugar, Frosting, Cream, Whipped Cream, Yeasted Dough, Sweet Rolls, Bread, Latkes, Coleslaw, […]

Yes, It Matters What Kind Of Kitchen Mixer You Use | thepregnancytalk. — June 19, 2014 @ 6:40 pm

はい、あなたがどんなキッチン・ミキサーを使うかは、重要です | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない! — June 20, 2014 @ 1:49 am

[…] 図解フォトクレジット: 生地/の生地クッキーケーキ卵白メレンゲバター/砂糖つや消しクリームホイップクリーム発酵された生地甘いロールパンラートカコールスローチップグラタンフェラーフェルペストフーマスナッツ・バターパイ外皮魅力的な人間スープオランデーズビネグレットどっしりしたスープアップルソーストマト・ソース 不用品回収/遺品整理/買取 八千代市 […]

Yes, It Matters What Kind Of Kitchen Mixer You Use | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips — June 20, 2014 @ 5:06 am

これは、あなたがキッチン・ミキサーについて知っている必要があるものです | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない! — June 23, 2014 @ 7:04 pm

[…] 図解フォトクレジット: 生地/の生地クッキーケーキ卵白メレンゲバター/砂糖つや消しクリームホイップクリーム発酵された生地甘いロールパンラートカコールスローチップグラタンフェラーフェルペストフーマスナッツ・バターパイ外皮魅力的な人間スープオランデーズビネグレットどっしりしたスープアップルソーストマト・ソース […]

Eggs in My Leche | Three Little Feats — July 5, 2014 @ 3:37 pm