How to cut up a Pineapple*

Pretty soon I am going to be blogging a recipe for quesadillas that involve grilled pineapple (just wait, you are gonna be in hard core love). And my original plan was to buy already cut pineapple since I had never cut up a pineapple before.

And that was my plan…until I saw that ready to go pineapple was $5.69 and a whole pineapple was $1.99.  So check it out! Grilled Pineapple in under 10 minutes!

Chop off the top.

Chop off the bottom.

Slice it in half.

Divide each half, in half. Giving you 4 pineapple triangles.

Divide each of those in half again. Leaving you with 8 pineapple triangles.

Slice off the tips of the triangles. They are tough and are not great for grilling.

But don’t throw them away! No save them! And add them to smoothies. Or use them to make Pineapple infused water! *nom*nom*

Next, slice off the prickly outside.

And skewer the pineapple slices.

And then grill it!

Grilled Pineapple in under 10 minutes? Works for me!

P.S. Try this as an ass friendly dessert one night! It’s awesome!

16 Responses to “How to cut up a Pineapple”

Happy When Not Hungry — March 9, 2011 @ 6:33 am

You can’t beat fresh pineapple and grilling it is even better! Definitely a great idea for a healthy dessert. Thanks for sharing!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean — March 9, 2011 @ 8:37 am

uhhhh, i want this now. genius method for grilling! now if it would just get warm out so i could consume this…

notyet100 — March 9, 2011 @ 10:25 am

thnks for the pictorial

Samara Link — March 9, 2011 @ 11:08 am

Hi, Jessica. I’m new to your blog, and I am loving what I’ve seen so far. You’re a clever writer, your photos are beautiful and your kitchen creations are lovely! Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hello. Thanks for the idea of keeping the core for smoothies. I had never thought of that! I actually have nine whole pineapples sitting on my counter waiting to be dealt with. I think I’ll grill some tomorrow for dessert. (I love that ass friendly is an actual label you use. Funny!)

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — March 9, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

There are many things I love about this post (cheap pineapples, woohoo! Gotta check and see if my store has them, too), another excuse to use my grill, and a delicious and ass-friendly dessert! This is a winner on all counts. Thanks, Jessica!

Joanne — March 9, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

I love pineapple. I love it raw. I love it grilled. I love it candied. I just love it.

Unfortunately, the acid in it makes my stomach hurt. So I’m just going to live vicariously through these pictures and imagine that I’m on a tropical isle. Eating it.

Laura — March 9, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

Thanks for the tutorial! I’ve never cut fresh pineapple before. I’ll give your cutting method a try next week, instead of buying the already cut up stuff at TJ’s like I usually do.

Laurel — March 9, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

This is a great photo tutorial! Especially for someone like me who could use the extra help :) I’d love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight at http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

Sharlene — March 9, 2011 @ 11:18 pm

Prices like that often push me to try things I’ve never tried before just like you! I wish I had a grill so I could make this.

Lori @ RecipeGirl — March 9, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

Yep, good ass-friendly snack for sure! I worked for a caterer way back when… and we always shaved off the outside of the pineapple first thing before we commenced with cutting the rest. Kind of easy to get it all out of the way.

Pineapple Sunrise » The Novice Chef Blog — March 10, 2011 @ 12:01 am

[…] of flavors and all the fresh ingredients in these. In case you missed it, check out how to easily break down and grill your pineapple for the recipe […]

Rosewood — March 10, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

My favorite use of grilled pineapple EVER

ErinsFoodFiles — March 13, 2011 @ 8:25 pm

I had a picnic at the park once where we invited a lot of friends, and asked them to contribute a side or dessert. My friend Travis kept saying “Just tell me what to bring!” So I asked him to bring fruit, like strawberries, pineapple, etc. He bought a pineapple, and spent 30 minutes cutting it with an electric knife. LOL

Sunit — March 20, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

I saw this post and the first thing that I remembered was this video of a really swanky pineapple preparing technique that I saw not too long ago: http://youtu.be/sTjlkEC54Yc

Now you’ve reminded me of it I really, really have a huge craving for pineapples.

Chicken and Pineapple Quesadillas « Peace, Love and French Fries — August 7, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

[…] (a little less than 1lb of chicken)1 small pineapple, cut into strips (Novice Chef also has a great pineapple cutting tutorial, this is how I have always cut pineapple and it really is the fastest way!)1 small handful of […]

The Novice Chef » Pineapple and Chicken Quesadillas — October 10, 2011 @ 11:50 pm