Homemade Peeps*

I secretly love Peeps. LOVE. But I guess it’s no longer a secret.

I actually would rather have a Peep then ::gasp:: any chocolate Easter candies. I have no idea why, because generally I will take chocolate every time! But something about the crunchy sugar on the outside and the soft marshmallow inside always lures me in. Plus, growing up, one of my favorite Easter activities was putting a Peep in the microwave and watching it grow to 3 times it’s size yelling PEEPZILLA!

But those days have passed and I haven’t done that in years…well…I hadn’t until this week. When I decided to make my own Peeps, I knew the true test would be the microwave test. And boy did they pass. They grew probably close to 4 times their size! By the way, yes I know how irrational and childish this all sounds…but you have to realize I have been alone for a week with only the dog and cats to keep me company. So exploding a Peep sounded like the best idea I had come up with in days.

As for the actual flavor and consistency, these were very comparable to the Peeps you buy. The only difference? They are so incredibly fresh and soft that they melt in your mouth. They are a bit of a pain to get the correct shaping at first. I tried multiple different tips and size bags and found that my best Peeps came from the use of a ziplock freezer bag. If you want to use your piping bag, my best suggestion would be to use a very large round tip…but really, just use the ziplock bag! No cleanup! And my favorite part of making my own Peeps? They don’t have to be yellow!

Print Save

Homemade Peeps

1 packet unflavored gelatin (2 1/2 teaspoons)
1/3 cup cold water, for gelatin, plus 1/4 cup for syrup
1 cup sugar
Sprinkle Sugar (I used Wilton)
1 block of dark chocolate

In the bowl of an electric mixer, sprinkle gelatin over 1/3 cup cold water. Allow gelatin to soften, about 5 minutes.

In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup water and sugar, and stir over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved. Stop stirring, and place a candy thermometer into sugar water; wipe sides of pan with a wet brush if sugar crystals have splattered up. Boil sugar until temperature reaches the soft-ball stage (238 degrees).

Remove syrup from heat; add to softened gelatin. Using the whisk attachment of an electric mixer, hand-stir the mixture a few minutes to cool; place bowl on the mixer stand. Beat on medium high with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form and the marshmallow mixture holds shape, 8 to 10 minutes.

Transfer marshmallow mixture to a large zip lock bag and cut off one tip to form a circle (about the size of a nickle), and use immediately.

Chick How-To
1. Pipe an oval shape onto sugar, about 1 inch wide, tapering the end and pulling upward to finish with the tail.

2. For the head, pipe a mound on the end opposite the tail, about the width of the body, pushing toward the tail and up. Pull away from the head to form the beak.

3. Immediately sprinkle sugar over the entire surface of the chick. Allow about 10 minutes for the marshmallow to cool and hold it's shape. Lift peep and ten dip in sprinkle sugar to ensure bottom is coated as well.

4. Make eyes with melted dark chocolate and a toothpick.

5. Store in airtight container until ready to eat.

Adapted from: Martha Stewart, originally seen on Erin's Food Files

24 Responses to “Homemade Peeps”

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles — April 8, 2011 @ 4:58 am

Jessica, these are too cute!!

Anna Johnston — April 8, 2011 @ 8:05 am

Sooooooo cute. :) Me Likey, however big call on the eating these sweet treats over traditional easter goodies… I’d feel bad eating this little guy.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — April 8, 2011 @ 10:29 am

Hmmm this might take my peep-stuffed cookies to the next level! Not sure I’d have the patience to make these first, though;-)

Kim @ Feed Me, Seymour — April 8, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

Wow… That’s awesome! I’ve never been a big fan of Peeps (in fact, I detest them). But these look so fun and cute! I’ll have to make them anyway and let my family gobble them down while ridiculing me and saying I’ve got no Easter spirit.

• Jessica replied: — April 11th, 2011 @ 3:38 am

We can’t be friends anymore! :-) LOL

Cornelius the Pig — April 8, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

haha cute! another food i never even considered making homemade…

Lisa — April 8, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

I love peeps too – especially stale. Yum. These look great and I will have to try to make the.

• Jessica replied: — April 11th, 2011 @ 3:38 am

Stale? You are crazy! Fresh is the way to go! ;-)

Shannon O'Connell — April 8, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

While not a huge fan of eating peeps, I still get them every year (yes, my mom still makes me an Easter basket & I’m 30) and blow them up in the microwave. I can’t wait to make my own!

natalie (the sweets life) — April 8, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

I loooooooooooove peeps, always have! :) I am so impressed!

Kenni — April 8, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

These are so cute! Now every time I see Peeps in the store I’m gonna yell “PEEPZILLA!!”

DessertForTwo — April 8, 2011 @ 10:15 pm

Ahh! Love this! Any photos of peepzilla you wanna share?? ;)

Caelyn — April 9, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

I’m SO impressed at how much like chicks these look. I can never do things like this well. i love them!

Stephanie - Chocolate and Toast — April 9, 2011 @ 9:05 pm

Homemade marshmallow is the BEST! A couple of other tips – pour your colored sugar into a pie plate or baking sheet and pipe the marshmallow shapes right on top, then you can use a spoon to scoop the sugar up over the figure once you’ve finished piping. Also, keep a small bowl of water handy and dip a finger or two in it if you need to smooth out a spot of marshmallow or reshape something like a beak.

Ohhh, and dipping them completely in chocolate is awesome, of course. Skip the sugar and just let the marshmallow figure air dry before you do it. YUM.

Tina (My Life as a Mrs) — April 10, 2011 @ 12:34 am

These are ADORABLE. Fabulous meeting you this weekend, lady! Looking into going to BlogHer Food! Hopefully I’ll catch up with you there! :)

• Jessica replied: — April 11th, 2011 @ 3:39 am

It was awesome to meet you Tina! And yes, we will have to meet up again at BlogHer!! ;-)

ProChef360 — April 10, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

Pepzilla! homemade marsmallow?! kids will love this. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Cute pics too.

Courtney — April 10, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

You’re genius, love them! :)

Sharlene — April 10, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

These are so cute and inventive I can’t stand it!

Snippets of Thyme — April 11, 2011 @ 2:03 am

Those are adorable. I had no idea at first that you MADE them! I do find lots of great ideas from the Martha Stewart sites. Beautiful photography too!

elle marie — April 12, 2011 @ 5:27 am

This reminds me, I really need to get some pink dye for my eggs… those peeps are cute.

ErinsFoodFiles — April 12, 2011 @ 10:55 pm

Adorable! You did an amazing job!

The Novice Chef » Coconut Cupcakes (with Coconut Easter Nests!) — March 18, 2013 @ 11:02 pm

[…] things that aren’t available year round like Robin Eggs and Peeps. (Remember that time I made Homemade Peeps and took awkward looking photos of them like they were real chicks in a basket? Ya, I remember that […]

The Novice Chef » Easter Egg Bark Candy — April 13, 2014 @ 11:28 pm

[…] of Peeps, I even made my own peeps a few years ago. I know they aren’t the best looking peeps ever, but I was pretty dang […]