Cherry Limeade*

Everyone has a vice. For some it’s coffee and for others it’s alcohol. Some are obsessed with chocolate…and some have an uncanny obsession with Diet Cherry Limeades from Sonic. And when I say some, I mean me. I don’t know what it is, but something about the sweet deliciousness and special Sonic ice in that ginormous Route 44 cup makes me extremely happy. In my world, there is nothing better. I used to live 15 minutes from the nearest Sonic, which meant that it wasn’t something I got often. It was also the opposite way of where I usually went…so it really was a special treat. Since the move to Jacksonville, I live .3 miles from Sonic. Seriously. And then I discovered they have Happy Hour every day from 2-5 where they have every drink half priced. I think I seriously drank one every day for 5 days straight. It was bad. Really, really bad.

And then one day, it went from bad to worse. The girl at the window recognized me. Talk about embarrassing. Yes, yes it is me that comes here ALL.THE.TIME for a Diet Cherry Limeade. Yes, I never have cash and you have to charge my debit card for .98 cents. And yes, I do realize how pitiful this makes me. But then, she said something magical that paid off for all the embarrassment. She said do you want to know the secret to making these at home? Uhhhhh YES! She said they use Cherry Snowcone Syrup. That’s it. That’s the secret ingredient. So here we are, with a knockoff version of the amazingness that is a Diet Cherry Limeade!

Knockoff Diet Cherry Limeade

Add a splash of 3 Olives Cherry Vodka if you are feeling fun. ;-)

1 (12 fluid ounce) can Sprite Zero
1/4 cup cherry snowcone syrup
2 lime wedges

In a large glass, combine Sprite Zero and cherry snowcone syurp. Squeeze the juice of both lime wedges in and drop in glass. Stir well and garnish with an additional lime wedge if you want to be fancy.

24 Responses to “Cherry Limeade”

jenna laughs — May 25, 2011 @ 8:06 am

I love that “cherry snow cone syrup” is an ingredient. You totally got an insiders tip! Thanks for sharing :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 25, 2011 @ 8:25 am

I’ve never tried one of those limeades but your drink sounds wonderful! And, I bet it would be wonderful with a splash of tequila or rum;-)

Tina — May 25, 2011 @ 8:44 am

UM brilliant idea to re-create this one!!! I’m obsessed w/ Sprite Zero! Yum! PS – I miss you too ;) We need to all meet up in Orlando just to hang out sometime (without the jam packed schedule!).

Joanne — May 25, 2011 @ 11:29 am

I used to go out for brunch pretty often with an ex-boyfriend and always ordered a cherry lime rickey. I imagine it was much like this. Which means this must be to-die-for-amazing.

Kelly — May 25, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Ooh I was just thinking you could use lime vodka too, or even better that would be really good with Tanqueray Rangpur Lime gin! I normally don’t like gin, but in ginger ale or cranberry juice and sprite or ginger ale, it’s like a Fresca! Best summer drink ever. Hm, now to find cherry snowcone syrup!

Maria — May 25, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

Such a pretty drink!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — May 25, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

It’s a done-deal! I’m making it!!! Ahhhhhhhh!!!!

Brit — May 25, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

That sounds awesome! I haven’t tried the Sonic one, mostly because I didn’t realize that it was available in diet. I may develop a Sonic problem of my own.

Jen — May 25, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

These are my favorite! Target has their snowcone syrups out right now. I might have to buy some just for this :)

jessica — May 25, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

O M G! I can’t WAIT to make these at home, thanks so much for sharing!

Julie Roberts — May 25, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

i think i could even handle this one. looks yummy and easy. cheap too.

Nicole, RD — May 25, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

I looove diet cherry limeade! I will definitely make these!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — May 25, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

I’m quite partial to the Lemon-Berry Slushes myself…and so long as we’re confessing, I know all the Sonic people by name, and they even know when my husband’s submarine is on or out to sea. And my husband actually bought me Sonic stock for Christmas as a joke! I’m hanging my head in shame now…

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies — May 25, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

Where on earth was this blog entry last Summer, before Sonic FINALLY came to New Jersey and put this Texan out of her non-diet-cherry-limeade-having misery?

Seriously, they started to recognize me too. After 2 weeks straight of showing up at 2 p.m. on the dot for my Rt 44 fix. I think I have an excuse though: First living in England, and then New Jersey, I was deprived of Sonic for a solid 6 years before they finally reentered my life.

I love this though. I never would have thought to use snow cone syrup!

Melissa @ Melissa Bakes — May 25, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

This looks awesome! I’ve never been to a Sonic but I plan on making this soon! Where did you buy the cherry snowcone syrup?

• Jessica replied: — May 29th, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

I have seen it at Target! I am pretty sure you can buy it at most grocery stores this time of year! :-)

Meghan — May 25, 2011 @ 9:13 pm

If you can figure out the strawberry limeade, I’ll be so happy. My guess is strawberry ice cream topping…but that doesn’t sound right…

DessertForTwo — May 25, 2011 @ 11:15 pm

Haha-I love the Sonic! I thought I was going to have to give it up when I moved to Cali, but we still have one in our little podunk town!

Oh, and I charge <$1 on my debit card all the time. Em.barr.ass.ing.

Love this recipe :)

Becky — May 26, 2011 @ 7:17 pm

How nice of her to share the secret! I would’ve never guessed! And yes, Sonic’s happy hours are super addictive – my drink of choice is Ocean Water. Yum yum yum : )

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit — May 30, 2011 @ 10:17 am

Sonic…I don’t eat their food, but I LOVE their cherry limeade. Now if I could only get an ice machine like theirs I’d really be happy! Thanks for sharing your insider information. :)

Katie — June 3, 2011 @ 11:30 pm

I love this! I totally share your Diet Cherry Limeade obsession. Thanks for posting the crazy fabulous tip.

Sara — June 23, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

My husband is OBSESSED with Sonic’s Cherry Limeades as well, so thank you! He will be so surprised when I make him one this weekend

Cherry Limeade « Beckster's Laboratory — August 21, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

[…] Adapted from The Novice Chef Blog Advertisement GA_googleAddAttr("AdOpt", "0"); GA_googleAddAttr("Origin", "other"); […]

Six Refreshing Beverages to Beat the Heat . . .and Link Love! — July 19, 2012 @ 1:01 am

[…] Cherry Limeade from The Novice Chef – made these ALL last summer.  They taste like the actual drink from Sonic.  Not sure why I haven’t made them yet this summer.  Need to get on that. Share this:PrintEmailFacebookStumbleUponDigg […]