Mason Jar Cupcakes*

Have you seen this, this, this, and this? Apparently mason jars aren’t just for drinking moonshine sweet tea out of anymore. These days people are filling up cute little mason jars with cupcakes and loads of frosting! Seriously, who originally thought of this?! Because I need to meet her…and I know it’s a her, because only a woman could be this genius.

I made a Neapolitan Cupcake…which is a delicious chocolate cupcake, with a layer of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry swiss meringue buttercream. And instead of sprinkles, I topped them each with a dash of cocoa nibs. In my opinion, this is the perfect way to serve a cupcake to a frosting lover. Not only do they get three layers of different flavored frostings, but they also have a great ratio of cake to frosting. I think these would be perfect idea as a party favor for a shower or kids birthday party…or for my next girls night. I can’t wait to see what other ideas people can come up with for flavors! I am already dreaming of a possible fluffernutter mason jar cupcake! :-)

To make these cupcakes…I used this method. This chocolate cupcake recipe (skip adding in the candy bar). And this swiss meringue buttercream recipe (just don’t add the butterfinger). To have the 3 different flavored frostings, I split the buttercream into 3 bowls and flavored/colored each. For the chocolate I added cocoa powder and for the strawberry I added strawberry imitation flavoring and pink icing color.

30 Responses to “Mason Jar Cupcakes”

lynne — June 14, 2011 @ 1:20 am

these look so pretty!

breanna — June 14, 2011 @ 1:50 am

your cupcakes (jarcakes?) are DELIGHTFUL!!! they look great!

Blog is the New Black — June 14, 2011 @ 5:40 am

Awesome! I’ve been dying to make cupcakes in a jar!

Maris (In Good taste) — June 14, 2011 @ 7:11 am

These are so pretty! Great gifts!

Jen @ BeantownBaker.com — June 14, 2011 @ 8:15 am

I’ve made cupcakes in a jar to ship to family members in the past. I definitely didn’t come up with the idea myself, but I also love the concept! Thanks for reminding me that I need to do that again.

Jaida — June 14, 2011 @ 9:19 am

These are so adorable…I love the new mason jar craze!!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 14, 2011 @ 9:24 am

Years back I began setting aside sauce jars and other random sized jars for this purpose but never got around to it. Yours look so pretty! Love the bright pink :)

Hilary @ Cupcake Avenger — June 14, 2011 @ 10:11 am

I am instantly in LOVE with anything served in a mason jar. Maybe I’m just susceptible to marketing, but I think it just makes things cuter :) Great idea!

Paula at Dishing The Divine — June 14, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

These really are gorgeous! I love the idea of using nibs instead of sprinkles! How fun and different!

Lemons and Louboutins — June 14, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

I love this idea! I’m thinking of making these for a bridal shower soon. And…Your pictures are awesome! Thanks for sharing!

natalie (the sweets life) — June 14, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

i’ve been on the hunt for mason jars lately—i can’t wait to find some and try this!

Joanne — June 14, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

THREE layers of frosting. THREE. I love you.

Katrina — June 14, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

I am in love! These are adorable. Yum!

Happy When Not Hungry — June 14, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

I’ve been seeing mason jars around a lot lately! What a great idea and beautiful cupcakes!

Kerstin — June 14, 2011 @ 11:25 pm

Mason jars are so fun, I always smile when we’re served drinks in them at restaurants. Neapolitan cupcakes are such a fabulous idea too – yum!

Kim @ Feed Me, Seymour — June 15, 2011 @ 7:47 am

I wouldn’t even want to eat these, just frame them. They look so beautiful and pretty! I bet they taste even better. And therein lies the conundrum. To eat or not to eat the pretty food…

Kristin — June 15, 2011 @ 10:23 am

This is an amazing idea! I would love to see a side shot of the layers in the jar. I am opposed with mason and old jar and collect them. Now I know what to do with them haha.

Beth — June 16, 2011 @ 9:33 am

What adorable little cupcakes! I love them!

Heather - Dollar Store Crafts — June 16, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

Oh muh gosh!! those look amazing!! yum yum yum! I’m linking up on the Dollar Store Crafts & Dollar Store Mom FB pages!

Glory/ Glorious Treats — June 16, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

These are so beautiful! Thanks for linking to mine as well (Glorious Treats). I think I’m hooked on desserts in a jar now, I can’t stop thinking of all the yummy things I want to put in a jar! =)

Karriann Graf — June 16, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

These cupcakes look adorable and would be a great addition to a picnic! Happy Baking!

Prerna@IndianSimmer — June 18, 2011 @ 2:24 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that bursting pink color! Cupcake in a jar? how genius is that?! :-)

JulieD — June 23, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

I love this too, Jessica! The colors are so beautiful. I need to make a sweet treat in a mason jar. :)

Eliana — June 27, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

LOVE these Jessica! This would make a great way to bring cupcakes to a picnic too.

Cupcakes in a Cup | Through the Water — November 17, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

[...] day so I decided to make cupcakes to go.   I have been making cupcakes in a jar as seen here at Jessica’s The Novice Chef for the teachers’ birthdays but decided I didn’t want to waste jars on 5th graders.  I [...]

Mason Jar Maddness on Pinterest Pickins’ | The Adored Home — March 14, 2013 @ 9:36 am

[...] about baking in mason jars like The Novice Chef did with these [...]

Mason Jar Maddness on Pinterest Pickins’The Adored Home | The Adored Home — July 31, 2013 @ 2:51 pm

[...] about baking in mason jars like The Novice Chef did with these [...]

Mason Jar Recipes | Patriot Rising — November 9, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

[…] http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2011/06/mason-jar-cupcakes/ […]

One Item Wednesday - Mason Jars! - Designed Decor — February 9, 2014 @ 4:32 pm

[…] 2. Cupcakes by The Novice Chef […]

Jolie déco : 10 gourmandises à présenter dans des bocaux — April 17, 2014 @ 5:31 am

[…] Crédit photo : The Novice Chef […]