{Foodie Block Party} Rosemary Iced Coffee*

It’s that time again, Foodie Block Party! And today I bring to you the beautiful Bonnie, of Bonnie The Baker. And in true Bonnie (@BonnieBakes –Follow this girl!) style, she is throwing us all for a total loop. Rosemary Iced Coffee?! What?! Do I like that? Maybe? No. Probably. Yaaa, I would love it. First off, I love cold drinks in the morning (which means this girl drinks a whole lot of Diet Coke for breakfast—it goes awesome with my Captian Crunch). And I have been known to like Rosemary in sweets like in my Lemon Rosemary Shortbread. So while I might give it the side-eye, I know I will be trying it very soon!

I am so excited that Bonnie decided to join us for the Foodie Block Party and better yet, she is showing off her new camera with the photos below! Aren’t they gorgeous? I am loving that shot of the milk swirling in with the coffee! So please, stop giving this glamorous Rosemary Iced Coffee the side-eye like me, and give it a try!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Every few months I try and give up coffee. Mainly because I hear things about the benefits of tea, or I don’t want to be dependent on the caffeine, or some other insane reason that proves to be totally inadequate compared to the love I have for coffee.  Because, always about a week into my new lifestyle, I hop right back on the coffee train.

Normally, I’m a coffee and milk kind of girl.  I skip the frills.  But lately, I’ve been craving all sorts of flavor combinations, and my checking account can’t afford all of those extra pumps at Starbucks.

Lucky for me, I have a Rosemary Bush in my backyard. And, I always have sugar on hand.

So, we are making Rosemary Iced Coffee.  It’s sweet, yet nutty, and totally blows away any iced coffee you’ve had thus far.  Or hot coffee.  Or a latte.  Since this recipe is for Rosemary Simple Syrup to add to your coffee, feel free to make your coffee the way you like it.

All you need is some fresh Rosemary, sugar, water, and your favorite coffee.  And milk, creamer, or half and half.  When you boil water with sugar and add the Rosemary, stirring until the sugar dissolves, the liquid becomes thick and the rosemary essence becomes infused into the sugar water. This gives you a basic simple syrup that’s been infused with Rosemary.

So put it in a mason jar and keep it on hand for when you need a little something extra in your coffee.  Or you could put it on ice cream. Or in lemonade.  But for me?  I love coffee.

You can add as little or as much of the Rosemary Syrup and milk or creamer to your coffee as you’d like.  And, to be super fancy, you can put it in fun glasses with super fun straws…serve, and enjoy!

Rosemary Iced Coffee

Rosemary Simple Syrup:
3-5 fresh Rosemary Sprigs
1 ½ cup sugar
1 cup water

Rosemary Iced Coffee:
1 batch of Rosemary Simple Syrup
1 batch of favorite iced coffee recipe (I used this one from The Pioneer Woman)

Rosemary Simple Syrup:
Bring sugar and water to a light boil, stirring constantly, until sugar is completely dissolved. Add Rosemary and allow water to still slightly boil for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low for another 10 minutes, continuing to stir frequently. Turn off heat and allow rosemary to sit in mixture for another 15-30 minutes. The more you let it sit, the more potent the flavor will be. Place in mason jar and keep in fridge for up to 2 weeks.

Rosemary Iced Coffee:
Place ice cubes and desired amount of coffee into glass. Add Rosemary Simple Syrup by the tablespoon until desired sweetness is reached. Add milk or creamer as needed. Stir. Sip. Repeat.

Vendors:
Vintage Milk Glasses: Bake it Pretty
Vintage Red-Striped Straws: Bake it Pretty

23 Responses to “{Foodie Block Party} Rosemary Iced Coffee”

Rosemary Iced Coffee | Bonnie the Baker – A Cooking & Baking Blog — July 12, 2011 @ 1:36 am

[…] cameras, giving new food the side-eye, and the universal recipe for Simple Syrup.  So head on over here and get the […]

Maris(In Good Taste) — July 12, 2011 @ 4:38 am

Wow! Very interesting. I would never off thought to add Rosemary to ice coffee but I think you have a winner here!

Katrina — July 12, 2011 @ 6:52 am

This sounds so lovely! Great recipe for my morning wake up!

Karriann Graf — July 12, 2011 @ 9:10 am

This is so inventive!

Jess Wakasugi — July 12, 2011 @ 9:35 am

Wow, I’m an avid coffee drinker and this sounds amazing! What a treat!

Marsha @ The Harried Cook — July 12, 2011 @ 9:54 am

I’m not a coffee drinker myself, but rosemary & coffee? That’s a new combination, and I bet my husband, the coffee addict, would really enjoy this! Great recipe… and beautiful pictures!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 12, 2011 @ 10:12 am

LOVE coffee, coffee ice cream and coffee milk, but for some reason really don’t like iced coffee. I’m thinking this might change all that. Maybe a new addiction.

Bonnie — July 12, 2011 @ 10:16 am

Maris: I was shocked to find that someone (one person)had blogged about having a Rosemary latte at a cafe they visited in a small coffee shop off the beaten path somewhere. If I had a espresso machine I bet a soy latte would go great with this!

Katrina: Thank you! I hope you like it!

Jess: I’m having one now, as a coffee lover, I think you’d love it!

Marsha: Let me know how your husband likes it! And thanks for the compliment!

Lynne: I only like iced coffee in the summer, otherwise I have an aversion to it. Weird, right? :) But today I put this syrup in my hot coffee and it’s just as delicious!

Joanne — July 12, 2011 @ 6:25 pm

This is Ka-Ra-Zee-ness! But honestly…rosemary simple syrup sounds kind of like a godsend. It’s opened up a whole world of possibility!

Sues — July 12, 2011 @ 8:02 pm

I never would have thought to add rosemary to my iced coffee, but why not?? It sounds like such a great flavor combination!

Bonnie — July 12, 2011 @ 10:06 pm

Joanne and Sues: Yay! So glad you agree! I think you’ll love it!

Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty — July 12, 2011 @ 11:39 pm

Again, rosemary and coffee??? Savory.. Sweet… Full… Coffee Nutty flavor… why not, right?

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 13, 2011 @ 6:41 am

This is so creative! I never would have thought to flavor my coffee that way. Thanks for sharing:-)

Paula — July 13, 2011 @ 11:40 am

Fresh rosemary is so fragrant and wonderful and adding it to iced coffee sounds like a great idea!

Chris @ TheKeenanCookBook — July 13, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

I’m not much of a coffee drinker but these look refreshingly delish. :)

Simple cake recipes — July 13, 2011 @ 6:15 pm

wow wow wow .. love this recipe, crazy and original! And most important is that I have lots of rosemary in my garden ;))

Alberta — July 13, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

I love rosemary and I adore coffee…usually apart, but I’ll try (most) anything once.

Katie — July 20, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

I made this today just because I was so curious at the combination. I was skeptical, but seriously, this is delicious, I will definitely make again!

Julie — August 3, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

YUM! Thanks for sharing. la la la love it!

The Novice Chef » Foodie Block Party Roundup in Pictures! — August 3, 2011 @ 11:36 pm

[…] Rosemary Iced Coffee from Bonnie The Baker […]

Celebrations Circle: Iced Summer Drinks | Life of the Party — August 5, 2011 @ 9:02 am

[…] Segarra, The Novice Chef, posted a recipe for rosemary iced coffee that has sent my taste buds into a tizzy! This twist on […]

B — April 6, 2012 @ 11:57 am

this sounds delish!!! LOVE the glasses too!
    Do you know where i can find them?

• Jessica replied: — April 6th, 2012 @ 11:59 am

Check under the recipe where it says:

Vintage Milk Glasses: Bake it Pretty

And you can get them there :-)