Watermelon Feta Salad*

Salted Watermelon. Nothing beats it. Growing up, I spent a few summers eating watermelon by the truckload since my family grew it. They sold most of it at the local grocery stores…but I am almost convinced I ate more than was sold. The only way I ate it was at the picnic table with a big slice in one hand and a salt shaker in the other. I had no idea until I moved to Florida that salting your watermelon was a southern thing. To me, it is second nature. The salt tends to change the flavor just a little and to give you that perfect salty/sweet flavor that I crave.

I recently bought 3 big seedless watermelons at the farmers market. And while I am a fool for watermelon, there is only so much one person can eat before it goes bad. In hindsight, maybe 3 big watermelons was a little much for one person…but I have always had that problem with my eyes being bigger than my stomach which is why Jorge gets embarrassed with me at buffets. So I decided to finally try out the Watermelon Feta Salad I have heard about. Oh I am in lust! A big thick slice of watermelon, topped with some delicious feta tossed with sliced shallots. And then a thick drizzle of Balsamic Glaze? Heaven. Simple 4 ingredient heaven.

Print Save

Watermelon Feta Salad

Recipe Note: I sliced my Watermelon into perfect rounds with a large biscuit cutter.

2 pounds seedless Watermelon, sliced into rounds
1 cup crumbled feta
2 large shallots, sliced
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Balsamic Glaze, for drizzling

Ok, this is one of the easiest recipes ever. Ready?

Toss feta and sliced shallots together. Lay down a slice of watermelon. Top with the feta/shallot mixture. Add a little fresh ground pepper and a pinch of salt. Drizzle on some delicious thick balsamic glaze. EAT.

A Novice Chef Blog "Original" <--If you can call this a recipe :-D

34 Responses to “Watermelon Feta Salad”

Katrina — July 18, 2011 @ 12:48 am

This is an awesomely fancy app! Love this idea.

Maris (In Good Taste) — July 18, 2011 @ 4:29 am

These are gorgeous and so tasty!

Sasha @ The Procrastobaker — July 18, 2011 @ 5:34 am

I would neverrr have thought of this combination of flavours but it sounds so interesting and im sure works wonderfully! I also have never tried salt on watermelon but i am such a melon fanatic I will definitely try that next time!

Blog is the New Black — July 18, 2011 @ 8:10 am

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Jen @ BeantownBaker.com — July 18, 2011 @ 8:11 am

I’m from the midwest and I salt my watermellon (and cantalope). I just had some watermelon and feta salad last night – love your presentation!

kokocooks — July 18, 2011 @ 8:19 am

What a beautiful presentation! I’m intrigued by the watermelon-feta combination.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 18, 2011 @ 8:38 am

I’ve seen a lot of watermelon salads, but this is by far the best presentation! Love it!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 18, 2011 @ 9:00 am

I have never heard of salted watermelon and I’m very interested as to how the balsamic and watermelon go together. Thanks for the recipe!

Joan Nova — July 18, 2011 @ 9:04 am

Not fair…Lauren at Keep It Sweet said EXACTLY what I was going to say…so I’ll just add ‘ditto, good job’.

serena @bigapplenosh — July 18, 2011 @ 10:06 am

Yum, i LOVE watermelon and feta! Such a good combo!

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups — July 18, 2011 @ 10:09 am

How adorable! I love balsamic on anything.

ErinsFoodFiles — July 18, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

Beautiful!

Joanne — July 18, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

I’ve heard of salting watermelon before and given my INTENSE love of salt, it’s kind of weird that I’ve never done it before…. Tonight is gonna be the night I think. Totally serious.

Kathryn — July 18, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

I’ve had watermelon with halloumi before but not feta – this looks so good and I can’t wait to try it! (Plus I have that song stuck firmly in my head now…)

Mrs. Jen B — July 18, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

Oh mah gah. Are you serious??? And there I was, thinking all that watermelon in my fridge was going to go bad. Guess what I’m having for dinner?

Tina — July 18, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

this is GORGEOUS! What a great serving idea for watermelon salad. LURVE it. :)

Marsha @ The Harried Cook — July 18, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

Love this idea for a watermelon salad! The presentation is phenomenal… Thanks for sharing!

Books n' Cooks — July 18, 2011 @ 5:04 pm

This look amazing. I think I might be running out to the grocery store to buy some watermelon

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets — July 18, 2011 @ 7:19 pm

What an elegant presentation for watermelon salad — love it!

The Undercover Cook — July 18, 2011 @ 9:42 pm

When I think of watermelon I always think of long lazy casual days in the summer sun. Here you have lifted up the common (and totally delicious) watermelon and turned it into a sophisticated yet simple appetizer. Love it! can’t wait to give it a try.

Becky — July 18, 2011 @ 11:05 pm

Oh my…I think I would absolutely love this! I’m so intrigued by this combo : )

Katie Thacher — July 21, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

Mmmm! This looks like an excellent summer tapa/appetizer. I’m looking forward to trying it out.

Matt — August 11, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

Try grilling the watermelon rounds about 4 minutes a side.

Delicious Links | Cooking with My Kid — September 3, 2011 @ 12:21 am

[...] I couldn’t be more excited to try these mini sweet and savory watermelon feta “salads.” [...]

50+ and on the Run — November 9, 2011 @ 7:34 am

I’ve made this as a full salad using arugula for the greens. Spectacular flavor combination of sweet and bitter and salty.

Sarah — April 24, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

This was so yummy! It makes me excited for the summer! I love all your recipes and loved this one so much, I posted it on my blog for everyone else to try too!

SouthernSpoonBelle — June 14, 2013 @ 8:27 am

This is happening as soon as watermelons are back on the shelves in Sydney. Love it, thank you!

Chef Bradley Wegelin — June 14, 2013 @ 4:26 pm

This is totally Pintrest material. I love this variation of the watermelon feta salad… Excellent!

Katie — July 7, 2013 @ 8:09 pm

Mmm this is beautiful! Looks almost too good to eat!

30 bocados de sandía fresca | Cosas Molonas | Blog de Inspiración & DIY | — August 5, 2013 @ 4:09 am

[...] Ensalada de sandía y Feta / 2. Tarta de Panna Cotta y sandía / 3. Gelatina de sandía y sal / 4. Mojito de sandía / 5. [...]

Watermelon Feta Salad — September 29, 2013 @ 7:36 pm

[…] For recipe visit:   thenovicechefblog.com […]

NICE NANCY:Help! My food ate my fashion - NICE NANCY — January 27, 2014 @ 4:01 am

[…] een oogje op dit vest. Geef hem eens ongelijk, die kleur! En ik ben dol op deze combinatie met watermeloen, een lekkere hartige side-dish met rode ui, zachte geitenkaas en wat druppels balsamico dressing. […]

» Lemon Tarragon Watermelon Salad — July 22, 2014 @ 2:06 pm

[…] Feta, Basil and Quinoa Salad, How Sweet Eats Watermelon Feta Guacamole, Two Peas and Their Pod Watermelon Feta Salad, The Novice Chef Watermelon, Avocado, Mint and Feta, Foolproof […]

Pineapple Feta Bites — July 24, 2014 @ 11:03 am