My Weekend Instagram* Style*

I didn’t step foot in my kitchen this weekend. Instead I concentrated on doing everything else. And it was absolutely wonderful.

What’s that? Me actually smiling before 8 am? I was excited to get to see this guy.

Jorge flew in on a red eye flight from Seattle saturday morning and we have a week together before he leaves for San Francisco. He will be gone for 2 weeks, but at least I get to visit him this time! So to make the best of our time, we went straight to breakfast where we could load him up with coffee…

Well coffee and Chicken & Waffles with Strawberry Butter at Metro Diner. I had half of Jorge’s Chicken & Waffles the Huevos Rancheros. They were so spicy I had tears coming out of my eyes and my sinuses were all clear. In other words, it was perfect.

After 4 pots of coffee, we went and saw The Change Up. Loved it. If you love inappropriate funny movies, go. Oh and if you like shirtless Ryan Reynolds, go.

And then we did nothing. Seriously…nothing. We slept. Gave belly rubs to persistent kitties. We watched The Blind Side. We took naps. And we ate the most glorious 70 calorie popsicles I have ever had in my life. We just enjoyed doing nothing.

It was a glorious weekend. I’m not ready to go back to the real world tomorrow.

P.S. This will be both of our first trips to San Francisco. What are must eat and see things? You know, besides seeing where they shot Full House. Or is that just me?

*If you don’t know what instagr.am is you are either a loser, a blackberry user, or my grandfather. It’s an awesome way to over share your life. You can follow me if you need more photos of cats in your life, my username is thenovicechef.

16 Responses to “My Weekend Instagram* Style”

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — August 8, 2011 @ 6:28 am

I love san fran and there is SO much good food there… but I’m obsessed with Bi-Rite Creamery for ice cream. Amazingness!

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups — August 8, 2011 @ 6:40 am

I haven’t been to San Francisco in s long time but I remember being obsessed with Ghiradellis’ ice cream sundaes. So yummy!

Jen @ BeantownBaker.com — August 8, 2011 @ 8:52 am

Sounds like a great weekend! We went to SF last July and had a blast. My two favorite things were Alcatrez and the Trolley Car Museum. And obviously, the Golden Gate Bridge! I blogged about our days in SF here and here.

Chris @ TheKeenanCookbook — August 8, 2011 @ 9:12 am

We spent a few nights in San Fran on our honeymoon. Had such an awesome time, from the sites to the tastes it’s a great city. Without question you need to hit up Ghiradelli square and Fishermans Wharf

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — August 8, 2011 @ 10:01 am

Fisherman’s wharf and obviously the bridge are two must touristy things. Love it there but I’ve only been once – can’t wait to go back.

heather — August 8, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

Union Square, Golden Gate Park, The farmers market in the ferry building, fishermans wharf….I think if you look up the website check please bay area, they have some good restaurants on there. we live 45 minutes (well if there’s NO traffic) east of The City.

Bev Weidner — August 8, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

Cuuute! Love SF. Have a smashing time!

Melanie — August 8, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

Neither of these should be missed!

Just a warning…if you do not go to the creamery at just the right time, you will have to wait a bit, but trust me IT.IS.WORTH.IT!

Also the farmer’s market at the ferry building is amazing! they have so many wonderful things to eat and see.

Tartine Bakery is a must as well!

Also, oh happy day has a food guide. the ferry building is where the farmer’s market is held, but the inside has so many wonder places. she has a whole #11 dedicated to it!

Not to put anyone else’s ideas down…but stay from fisherman’s warf and ghiradell square! there are so many other incredible places that your time needs to go to!

Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty — August 9, 2011 @ 11:38 am

i love anything.. and I do mean anything, ryan reynolds.

PS. love that you were able to divorce yourself from your blog for a weekend. you’ve inspired me to take the plunge as well… Though I may wait till the first week of school because it’s gonna be hectic!

Paula — August 10, 2011 @ 10:17 am

Loved your instagram weekend recap. Enjoy San Fran!

Caitlin — August 16, 2011 @ 9:16 am

We just got back from a week in SF, and it was so much fun! I definitely echo the recommendation to see the farmer’s market in the Ferry Building. Here were some food highlights:
    Tartine Bakery
    Slow Club
    The Slanted Door (amazing Vietnamese fusion)
    Rickhouse (a bar w/ yummy cocktails)
    There is also a big food truck scene there if you’re into that :-).

EClaire — August 19, 2011 @ 5:00 am

If it’s your first time there, then it’s probably worth your time to check out some the well known places

As a local, these are some of my favorite spots (in addition to the ones already mentioned =)

-PPQ
    -Mitchell’s Ice Cream! (you have to try Claire’s Pie!)
    -Gary Danko (on the pricier side)
    -Prospect
    -Golden Gate Bakery (get the egg tart)
    -Swan Oyster Depot

If you happen to be there on a Friday, there is the food truck galore Off the Grid. If you happen to be there this Saturday, there is food festival in the Mission District.

Enjoy!

Rebekah — August 21, 2011 @ 8:59 pm

Just found your blog through another website, and LOVE It! :) so fun! Thanks for the fresh recipes, and beautiful pictures.

I’m from the SF Bay area, and I have to say, you got some great recommendations! I’ll add a few….

Bi-Rite Creamery – I know it’s on here a few times, but I’m only stressing the point. You MUST go here!!! Salted Caramel ice cream is to DIE for!! they also have balsamic strawberry and honey lavender ice cream that are killer.

Tartine Bakery is right down the street and they have the best bread!

Philz coffee! – several shops, but they have one down by AT&T park which is only a few blocks from the Ferry Building (another excellent recommendation), and a must stop for fueling up. Their coffee is not like most. They do a single serve pour over that is made one cup at a time. so smooth!

Cowgirl Creamery – cheese shop in the Ferry building that gives lots and lots of free cheese samples!

Richetti chocolates – again in the ferry building. Burnt Caramel almonds – amazing. As is the sample they give of the Burnt Caramel sauce.

The American Grilled Cheese Kitchen – Dressed up Grilled Cheese… enough said!

Cafe De Lucci – great Italian place in Little Italy

Tony’s Pizza – amazing pizza!!!

Hendrix Point – the absolute best view of the Golden Gate and view of “the city” (which is what the locals call it…. not Frisco or San Fran :) ). slightly tricky to get there, but a must do!

Okay, hopefully I didn’t completely overwhelm you, but those are all must go places if you have the time! Can you tell I love living in the Bay Area!

kathleen @ the lushers — August 22, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

We just got back from there!

As a food lover, you absolutely HAVE to go to the Ferry Building! There is so much to taste & look at there. We had lunch at Slanted Door & really enjoyed that, too.

I’ll repeat everyone that said Bi-Rite. We didn’t make it there our first trip, but got there this time & I wish we could have had it 10 more times.

We also tried Pearls http://www.pearlsdeluxe.com/ which looks like nothing much, but has amazing burgers & is a nice alternative to all the expensive options in the city.

HAVE SO MUCH FUN!!!!

The Novice Chef » Chicken and Waffle Cupcakes — October 10, 2011 @ 11:26 pm

[…] huge fans of the Southern classic Chicken & Waffles. We order it just about any time we see it on the menu because we are determined to find the best version. So when I stumbled upon the idea of these […]

The Novice Chef » Marbled Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies — January 20, 2012 @ 1:05 am

[…] Jorge and I signed all the papers to rent a 2100 sq ft house. That’s like…almost 2 of our […]