Kale Chips*

Who is scared of kale?      (me, I totally am was)

Who thinks carbs are the antichrist?      (my skinny jeans most definitely do)

Who wishes they could find something healthy that would satisfy that chip crunchy craving?    (spoiler alert: that would be me, again)

If you answered yes to all of the above questions, then you need to get to makin’ some Kale Chips! I know, if you answered yes to all 3 questions, that means you are scared of kale. Dude. Kale is scary. I get it! Kale is never talked about. I have never seen it sold out of a bag. And the only way I have ever seen it served, is as a garnish at Joe’s Crab Shack. I know, not really the greatest selling points. But what most of us don’t know is kale can actually be tasty! And it is high in nutrients, vitamins, and even has a small dose of fiber and protein. It is also low in calories, carbs and has zero fat. In other words, kale is Ass Friendly y’all!

But I know what you are thinking…I get that it’s healthy, but does it still taste like…kale? No! Well, at least it doesn’t taste like kale when you make Kale Chips with it!  It taste delicious when seasoned right and it stays such a beautiful bright green color that it is simply irresistible.

You should really, really try this. Try it for me! Try it for your skinny jeans! Or at least try it for the adorable piggy bowl below.

For those who are kale virgins, kale can be found in the produce department next to the greens (collard, turnip, etc.). It will most likely be in a big bag and when you get home and open it…it might smell a little funny. But don’t worry, it’s just kale doing it’s thing, it’s not rotten.

Thanks to Steamy Kitchen for the salt tip!

{Not So Scary} Kale Chips

Yield: 4 servings, as a snack

Recipe Note: Could you make this without a Misto? Sure. Just toss it in the olive oil. But it's a heck of a lot better with your Misto. Easy Peasy and once you buy one...you will never have to buy that preservative full spray Pam again.

4 cups kale, torn into bite sized pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil, in your misto
fresh cracked pepper and sea salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 350.

Prepare cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.

Rinse kale and spin in a salad spinner to get as much liquid off as possible. Then dry any extra liquid with a paper towel.

Lay kale in an even layer on prepared baking sheet. Spray Kale with your misto (full of olive oil) and then sprinkle heavily with some fresh cracked pepper. Do not salt your kale now, save that for after it is out of the oven. The salt actually keeps the kale from maximum crispyness.

Bake kale for 12-14 minutes, checking at 12. Using a pair of tongs, touch the kale, and listen. When the kale is ready you will hear it crackle when touched.

Once it is nice and crispy, remove from the oven, and salt. I found the Kale Chips to be much tastier when hot, so serve them right out of the oven. :-)

55 Responses to “Kale Chips”

Russell at Chasing Delicious — September 13, 2011 @ 11:34 pm

I absolutely adore kale. I guess I am in the minority here because I can snack on the stuff raw. This idea of kale chips is getting me seriously excited though. I thought I tried it all. I was wrong.

P.S. I know I say this every time I comment but your blog and writing make me happy–and at times laugh out loud awkwardly.

• Jessica replied: — September 14th, 2011 @ 11:18 pm

I <3 you Russell!

P.S. Quick funny story, a few weeks ago you were featured in the Foodbuzz email…and a friend forwarding it to me telling me how much she loved your blog and how amazing the recipe sounded. I responded and told her that I actually know you and we are twitter friends. She about died :-P

Madi @ Sit Down And Eat Your Peas — September 13, 2011 @ 11:36 pm

No. Joke. Kale is my new favorite veggie! I just did a bacon n kale salad on my site and the same night I made some Kale chips, just haven’t put them up on my site yet! I munched on them all night! Plus my kale salad got accepted to Taste Spotting!! Yay Kale!

• Jessica replied: — September 14th, 2011 @ 11:19 pm

Bacon? Count me in.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — September 13, 2011 @ 11:38 pm

I have heard and seen kale chips everywhere but have not tried them yet. I think it is about time!

Courtney — September 14, 2011 @ 12:18 am

I think I’m going to have to finally try this.. I use it raw in my smoothies – I actually enjoy the taste of Kale. Love that little piggy!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — September 14, 2011 @ 2:20 am

I am all about kale chips! My 4 year old thinks that everyone eats kale chips and hasn’t really had potato chips very much…I think that’s a good thing :)

I have a recipe for chocolate-coconut kale chips that tastes like you’re eating candy…promise! :)

Kathryn — September 14, 2011 @ 4:49 am

I really need to try making kale chips and overcome my fear! That piggy is also way cute. I don’t know how I’ve lived this long without him in my life.

Peggy — September 14, 2011 @ 6:00 am

Oh I absolutely love kale chips! The possibilities are endless with flavoring them too =)

And your bowl is way too cute (World Market?) – I have a serving platter just like it that I love!

• Jessica replied: — September 14th, 2011 @ 11:19 pm

Yes ma’am world market!! :-D

Katrina — September 14, 2011 @ 6:27 am

I’ve wanted to try these for so long! Thanks for the encouragement, haha, I’ll get on these soon!

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups — September 14, 2011 @ 6:47 am

I love kale chips. I had my doubts too until I tried it myself. I’m obsessed with your piggy bowl. So cute!

Jen @ BeantownBaker.com — September 14, 2011 @ 7:25 am

I love kale but have never made kale chips. Guess I’m weird… I should def try them though. Love the piggy bowl!

Rachel — September 14, 2011 @ 7:32 am

I am so trying these. I’ve been in the “scared of kale” pile for awhile and I need to branch out. :) And that bowl is adorbs!!

SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen — September 14, 2011 @ 8:34 am

We love kale chips! Made them recently, also using our misto. We baked ours at 425 for 5 minutes per side. Makes for a quick snack!

• Jessica replied: — September 14th, 2011 @ 11:20 pm

Ooo I will have to try the higher temp! Thanks!

Lynda — September 14, 2011 @ 9:25 am

I like kale in my green smoothie, yes even the fiber. I actually hate kale chips and I’m not so friendly with cooked kale. I think it’s great if people like kale chips, I just don’t.

serena @bigapplenosh — September 14, 2011 @ 10:04 am

This is my favorite way to eat kale!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — September 14, 2011 @ 11:15 am

Okay, we’ve tried kale and don’t like it in it’s raw eat-me-as-a-salad state. Could we still like these? Because I know they’re the rage right now but I’m skeeered! :-)

Also, Misto ROCKS da house!

• Jessica replied: — September 14th, 2011 @ 11:21 pm

doooooooooo it!!! :-D It is so much better than raw kale!

The Cooking Teacher — September 14, 2011 @ 11:33 am

Did you find that you had a crazy amount of Kale stuck in your teeth? I made this with my students and they loved it but we were cracking up at our own smiles, too bad its not party food friendly!

• Jessica replied: — September 14th, 2011 @ 11:23 pm

Ohhh yes! I was rocking the sexy green spotted teeth! lol

Courtney — September 14, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

I love Kale chips!! YUM! Sometimes I sprinkle them with brown sugar- so good!

JulieD — September 14, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

You’re so funny! I have been wanting to try kale chips forever and I think you’re taking me over the edge. I have a Misto!!! A Xmas present from my MIL last year and I have never used it. You rock!

• Jessica replied: — September 14th, 2011 @ 11:24 pm

What??! You have never used your misto? Get on it Julie!!

Joanne — September 14, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

I actually am quite the kale lover, though not as much as my dearly beloved swiss chard. but swiss chard doesn’t really make chips quite this good.

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — September 14, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

Love Kale chips!! My favorite is also sprinkling them with some Parmesan!

• Jessica replied: — September 14th, 2011 @ 11:24 pm

Oh yes! I hadn’t even thought of adding cheese! Yum!

Taryn @ Formal Fringe — September 14, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

Is it OK to admit I’m still a little scared of Kale? Once I gather up courage, though, I might try this.

• Jessica replied: — September 14th, 2011 @ 11:24 pm

I totally get it! Kale is scary, but I promise this was tasty!

Emily — September 14, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

Kale is also excellent in the middle of a grilled cheese!

• Jessica replied: — September 14th, 2011 @ 11:25 pm

Ohh! I will try that this weekend!

Kepanie — September 14, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

I LOVE kale; it’s my favorite vegetable. I didn’t try it until last year before Thanksgiving. I found this kale and bacon recipe online and it kicked a**. I unfortunately burned my arm pretty badly but it came out wonderful and I’ve made it very carefully a few times afterwards. It’s a good way to clean your system out the next day.

• Jessica replied: — September 14th, 2011 @ 11:25 pm

Bacon and anything kicks ass! :-D

Emily@SoDomesticated — September 14, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

I am definitely going to have to try this! I’ve never cooked with kale, but I think you have convinced me!

Kimberly LeForge — September 14, 2011 @ 3:57 pm

Love kale chips! On another food blog I saw someone had put steak sauce on them. I tried it and I have to say that was pretty good.

• Jessica replied: — September 14th, 2011 @ 11:26 pm

I could drink A1 straight from the bottle, no joke. So as far as I am concerned, anything with steak sauce on it immediately tastes better :-D

Lisa {With Style and Grace} — September 14, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

Happy to see that you’re now a fan of kale [chips]!

Krissy@DaintyChef — September 14, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

Ever since I tried it in the spring, I have developed a kale crush. I am making some creamed kale for dinner tonight, can’t wait to try your chips!

lo — September 14, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

YAY! Another kale chip lover.
    It always makes me happy to see another person joining me over on the dark green veggie side.

mom — September 14, 2011 @ 6:35 pm

I made Kale Chips a few months ago and then I went out on the sidewalk and made all the neighbors try it.

Of course Bob the Bird Man wouldn’t even smell it! LOL But almost everyone else did. And Tyler Fabian went back several times and he is just a kid! HA!

Bev Weidner — September 14, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

You did it! I’m pretending to pour a cooler of kale chips over your head as you hold your kale chip trophy with pride.

KALE CHIPS FOREVA!

• Jessica replied: — September 14th, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

I am pretending to run around screaming in kale excitement! LOL!

ErinsFoodFiles — September 14, 2011 @ 8:45 pm

I love kale! Seriously! I may not be my favorite green, but it’s definitely up there. :D I have a kale & butternut squash soup I love, by the way.

• Jessica replied: — September 14th, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

Ok E. That might be going too far :-P

Bonnie — September 14, 2011 @ 11:48 pm

Nice job on the Kale, I love Kale, but your post really solidified that I NEED, NEED a misto!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — September 15, 2011 @ 9:55 am

First off, I LOVE that pig! … and I happen to love kale. We eat raw kale in a shredded salad with cornbread croutons a lot. The chips sounds really yummy!

Alison @ Ingredients, inc. — September 15, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

love any recipe for kale!

Maia — September 16, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

I literally just finished my first bowl of kale about ten minutes ago. (My skinny jeans were practically begging me to go for it!) I decided I needed to get my feet wet simply – just by sauteeing it with salt and pepper. It was hardly as god-awful as I imagined! I’ll definitely be trying out these “chips.” Thanks for the heads up!

Debbie — September 17, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

I find it terribly funny that USA people think Kale is this magical gift from the heavens (low calorie etc), but also scary. Round these parts (Netherlands) it’s practically a staple of daily life. It’s what I request when I get back from hoiday. Then again we mash it with potatoes, smoked saussage, some bacon bits, vinegar and gravy, so it isn’t that calorie-free anymore by the time we’re done ;).

Meal Plan – October 8th – October 14th « Jaime Cooks: Endevours in Eating & Entertaining — October 23, 2011 @ 9:02 am

[…] & Extras: Pineapple Upside–Down Cake, Kale Chips, Spicy Asian Ramen Soup Share this:TwitterLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. Posted […]

Truly — February 2, 2012 @ 2:49 am

I made these last night and although my roommates were skeptical after I told them how good they were they tried and loved them too!

• Jessica replied: — February 6th, 2012 @ 12:47 pm

So glad they liked them! I loveeee Kale chips but have such a hard time convincing everyone else to try them too haha :-)

CSA adventures, week 3 | Jes Borland — July 7, 2012 @ 5:58 pm

[…] Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana soups. mid-summer soup didn’t sound like the most fun, so i tried this recipe from The Novice Chef, Jessica. they were surprisingly delicious! i could only eat a few at a time, […]

Kale Chips | Inky Twin Eats — January 15, 2013 @ 10:02 pm