Cushaw! How to clean it and how to use it!*

Let’s play a game! What…you don’t want to play? Well too damn bad. :-D

Which of the squashes above is a Cushaw (pronounced Coo-Shaw)?

I will give you a hint…it’s not orange. Oh and it’s not warty looking either.

…You didn’t even try to guess did you? You just scrolled right on down. Well fine, just ruin my fun why don’t ya??

These babies are Cushaws! Aren’t they sexy?? Ok, maybe you don’t think they are sexy, but by the end of this week you will most definitely think they are the cat’s meow. I mean…do I get that excited over just anything? …well ok, maybe a lot of things like wine, cupcakes, and shoes…. But trust me when I say, nothing get’s me more excited then when I spot a cushaw laying among some pumpkins.

I guess you might be wondering what the hell I am blabbering on about. Well, a cushaw is the South’s best kept secret. Sure we share our chicken fried steak recipes and you can find 500 recipes for biscuits and gravy online. But if you google cushaw recipes, you wouldn’t find very much at all…because this is one secret we have kept to ourselves. A cushaw is a member of the crookneck squash family and is technically a winter squash despite being sold in Fall. It is only grown south of the mason dixon line throughout the southern United States and is only available during the Fall months. It has a tender, pale orange/yellow flesh and a very mild flavor that can be overpowered if not careful. Read more about cushaw.

Until I moved to Florida, I had no idea cushaws were not as available as Pumpkins. Growing up they were a staple and every year I looked forward to picking out a big cushaw to cover in brown sugar and cream. It truly was my favorite part of Fall! At 18, my family moved to Tampa, FL and when October came around that year there were no cushaws to be found. We checked the grocery stores (where they are commonly sold in Texas), the pumpkin patches, and everywhere we could think of. It was like they just didn’t exist anymore. I was heartbroken. Yes, heartbroken over a squash.

A few years after that, we took a family trip to Blue Ridge, GA. While driving around exploring the town, we came across a road side Pumpkin Patch that had 5 cushaws scattered amongst their display. That trip we came home with 5 cushaws — of course I bought all they had. This year Jorge and I moved to Jacksonville, Florida for his job…and I had high hopes that I might find someone selling cushaws since we live so incredibly close to Georgia. As September rolled into October, I lost hope. So while on my trip to Nashville, I bought 3 big cushaws to bring home! They barely fit in our over packed car….but I would have carried them home like babies if I had too!

Then last week, I ran into Walmart to grab some laundry detergent…and you will never guess what I saw?! CUSHAWS! I bought the two best ones in the box and rushed home because I had a plan.

You! You are my plan! For 5 days, today through Friday, I am going to blog about Cushaws! By the end of this week, I know you will be dying to get your hands on one of these babies. You will know what it is, how to clean it/prep it, and have 4 recipes to use it in! It’s all about supply and demand….if the demand goes up, so will the supply…and finding cushaws will be as easy as finding a pumpkin…well at least I hope it will be. ;-)

Ok, so let’s break it down.

You will need a very sharp knife to do this easily. A dull knife will take forever…and can easily slip causing you to cut yourself.

Now, with that super sharp knife I just told you to get, hack off the neck.

Slice the top off the neck and throw it away.

Slice the remaining neck into 1 1/2 to 2 inch pieces.

The neck tends to be the toughest part of the cushaw. When cooking it, plan on cooking it a little longer than the other parts…or just slice it thinner than the pieces from the bottom half.

Slice off the outer rind and throw away.

Set aside the pieces from the neck.

Grab the bottom part of the cushaw and slice it vertically, right down the center.

Scoop out all the seeds/guts using a large spoon. I usually run my knife blade around the edges of the guts before using a spoon. It helps to loosen them for easy removal.

If you like roasted pumpkin seeds, cushaw seeds are just as delicious! Toss them in your favorite coatings and roast away!

Working with one half at a time, slice into large slices, about 2 inches in width.

Again, remove all of the rind from the outer edges and throw away.

Now you should have beautiful, clean cushaw flesh. Tomorrow’s recipe will have you baking the cushaw as is, however the remainder of the recipes will be using pureed cushaw. Pureed cushaw is the equivalent of canned pumpkin…but instead you made it yourself. You can store it in ziplock baggies in the freezer for up to 3 months, or if you aren’t terrified you will kill yourself like I am, can it!

Print Save

Pureed Cushaw for Recipes

Yield: about 8 cups

Pureed Cushaw can be used in just about any recipe that normally uses Pumpkin. However, cushaw puree has more liquid than pureed/canned pumpkin. So when using cushaw in place of pumpkin, use less liquid than the recipe originally calls for.

5 lb Cushaw, cored, peeled, and diced
large glass microwave safe bowl with a lid
water

In a large microwave safe bowl, place diced cushaw in a single layer. Not all of the cushaw will fit at once; you will have to repeat the steps multiple times.

Add just enough water to start coming up the sides of the cushaw, about 1 inch of water.

Cook on high for 8 to 10 minutes, until the cushaw is easily pierced with a fork.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer cushaw to a blender or food processor. Puree until completely smooth, no lumps.

Cool and use in a recipe or freeze for up to 3 months!

72 Responses to “Cushaw! How to clean it and how to use it!”

Erin — October 23, 2011 @ 11:46 pm

I’ve never seen or heard of one before! I can’t wait to see how you will use it in the next couple weeks! They are a little sexy too :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — October 24, 2011 @ 12:08 am

Thanks for all the info and I love the pic of you holding them. You look like you won the lottery; you’re so happy. Well, you won the cushaw lottery :)

JulieD — October 24, 2011 @ 1:19 am

Loved your reaction when you saw these! Love your tutorial on how to cut them too…the only squash I know how to cut is yellow summer squash.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — October 24, 2011 @ 1:33 am

Very informative! Looking forward to a week’s worth of recipes!

Kathryn — October 24, 2011 @ 4:49 am

I’m gonna put my hand up here and say that I’ve never even heard of cushaws so I’m intrigued to see what you’re going to make with them this week!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — October 24, 2011 @ 5:15 am

I don’t think I’ve ever tried this, I’m going to keep an eye for it now!

Katrina — October 24, 2011 @ 7:01 am

I’ve never had a cushaw. I like the name. It could be sexy…I need to say it more in a lower voice. I’ll get back to you. haha

Alison @ Ingredients, inc. — October 24, 2011 @ 7:47 am

i am new to this too! Great post

Jeanette — October 24, 2011 @ 8:03 am

I’ve never tried cushaw, but you’ve got my curiosity going now. Thanks for the tutorial on how to prep it, so helpful!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — October 24, 2011 @ 8:54 am

I’ve seen these but just called them gourds! Had no idea there was a proper name for them. I’ve been schooled! Mahalo!

Katie from Katie's Cucina — October 24, 2011 @ 9:51 am

I had never heard of this until I saw you post about this on Twitter. Can’t wait to attempt to find them and cook with them.

The Cooking Teacher — October 24, 2011 @ 10:49 am

This is awesome! I have never heard of them before, I love learning new vegetables! I am teaching about winter squash this week and we are making pumpkin bread…I just put a picture of cushaw on as a bonus questions. Lets see if these NY kids know what they are! Cant wait to see all these recipes and I hope I can find one to try :c)

Nicole, RD — October 24, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

II am new to cushaws and very intrigued. My eyes are peeled for one now!

Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty — October 24, 2011 @ 6:50 pm

it’s true – i just scrolled right on down and didn’t even try to guess…. that being said, i laughed when you called me on it ;)

Thanks for educating me on cushaws. I had no idea. :)

Joanne — October 24, 2011 @ 9:57 pm

Well I’ve heard of cushaw before but tragically I’ve never tasted it! I think a visit to the south is in order!

The Novice Chef » Cinnamon Baked Cushaw — October 25, 2011 @ 12:45 am

[...] we start with some of that lovely Cushaw that you carved up. Lay it flat in an oven safe glass dish that was sprayed with your misto or [...]

The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time — October 25, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

I never knew. I like the color of the flesh very much! I already knew since I came over from facebook and the picture was there. If not for that though, I’d not have had a clue. :)

angela@spinachtiger — October 25, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

I had no idea about a cushaw and that’s why I love reading blogs. Enjoying your sense of humor too. Now I”m must go find one.

The Novice Chef » Cranberry Cushaw Bread — October 26, 2011 @ 1:06 am

[...] you haven’t been able to find a cushaw yet, don’t fret! You can still try out this recipe! I personally think that this particular [...]

ErinsFoodFiles — October 26, 2011 @ 11:42 pm

Girlfriend, I cannot believe how mega excited you are about a squash! (insert Erin/pumpkin joke) Just kidding. I guess I didn’t realize they were regionally specific!

La. country girl — November 23, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

My dad called them “top the ground sweet potatoes”. Most of the time my mom made pies or baked them like yams with nutmeg, butter, sugar etc. Other times she’d smother it with the seasoning, shrimp and ham. It’s just good

Debbie — July 5, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

I found your blog today and as I know I’m a little late I had to tell you cushaw story. I have an odd shape bed beside my patio that use to have roses in them but they would not grow. so we gave up. Due to some health problems it became a grass bed. I have a 5 year old granddaughter who is always wanting to plant some seeds. Late spring of this year I noticed that we had 2 tomato plants growing in the weed of this bed. The about a week later I was outside and noticed that I had a mystery plant growing in the weeds and one growing at the edge of the patio near the stepping stones. Every one has made a guess as to what was growing. My mom thought it was zucchini, so I got online and looked up zucchini and sure enough the leaves and flowers looked like zucchini. To this point there was only blooms on no fruit on the plants. I has gotten really tired of watching and nothing happening so I quit looking at them. Early this week I went out back and low and behold I had 2 pieces of fruit. My mom says make a picture and let me see. Now I know that I have cushaw growing and really wish that you were close by I live outside of Memphis. One plant only has about 5 one them the other plant is a little behind. They are easy to grow need just a little bit of room to run apparently need no fertilize and when sowing seed they don’t need any special care. It’s so easy a 5 year can grow them. I know it is lengthy but I also have a recipe for you.

This is one of those southern recipes they I can only tell you what I put in not how much.

Puree your cushaw and to that add sugar, eggs (1-2) and about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp butternut flavoring mix well pour into a greased baking dish and cook until center is firm.

• Jessica replied: — July 5th, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

Too funny! I wish they were as easy to grow here in Florida…but our weather is sometimes not the greatest for squash.

Thanks for the recipe! I can’t wait to give it a go this Fall when I get another cushaw! :-)

Mary — October 27, 2012 @ 6:04 am

I just found your blog today, so sorry to seem out of the loop, but I had to share. My dad (he is from Kentucky) grew cushaw when we lived in Wyoming, and as a grown independent woman I have not had it since then. This past weekend I about had kittens when I found 2 cushaw at our central market that were bigger than my toddler! I was so excited! I am currently scouring the internet for recipes as I only really know one way to cook them, which is baked with brown sugar (how my dad always made them). So a great big thank you for sharing your recipes!

Michele — November 10, 2012 @ 11:03 am

I just found your blog today! And am quite excited! My aunt bought a cushaw a few years back from a Walmart. My uncle decided to plant the seeds from that cushaw and low and behold they grew….in Ohio!!!!!! My uncle has a wonderful cushaw patch going and we are constantly looking for recipes to use it in!! Can’t wait to see what recipes you have listed!!! :)

Connie — November 19, 2012 @ 6:07 pm

Found this today and had to share. Here in Kentucky this gourd is used quite a lot in outside fall decorations ~ such a shame to see them wasted. For my family Baked Cushaw is a staple at Thanksgiving & Christmas dinners.
    To prepare, cut up as directed, place cushaw in a stockpot & cover with water. Cook on stovetop until fork tender. Drain. Place drained cushaw in casserole dish or large bowl. Add sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, can’t give exact measurements because this is to suit your taste. Stir to mix together, if done in bowl then transfer to a casserole dish. Dot top with butter then cook in 350 degree oven, usually about 30-40 minutes. Yum, Yum, this is delicious and my mouth is watering in anticipation as I write this.
    Got my cushaw in the kitchen just waiting for the knife and cutting board.
    Enjoy!

• Jessica replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 12:38 am

Oh fun! I haven’t been able to find a Cushaw this year, but hopefully next year I will find one and can make this! Sounds AMAZING! :)

Breaking ground for tradition: Heirloom seeds bring us back to healthy ways - Wellbound Storytellers — April 19, 2013 @ 10:56 am

[...] deal, however, will be when I start my Osage Corn later in the week. I will also be planting some Cushaw Squash and a Hidatsa Red Bean, if I cannot find a Southern Plains [...]

The monster mystery plant has fruit on it! - Trees, Grass, Lawn, Flowers, Irrigation, Landscaping... - City-Data Forum — June 19, 2013 @ 8:12 pm

[...] [...]

Rhonda H. — July 13, 2013 @ 5:07 pm

Hey Jessica. I know that I’m waaayyy later than anyone else in the comments section, but after reading in another blog about cushaws I decided to Google it. Yours was one of the first sites listed, so here I am! I grew up near Cincinnati, Ohio and we always had cushaws when they were in season. They make the best pies, a little like pumpkin. After moving to Central Florida, we never heard about or saw cushaws again. Many times over the years I have looked for them, but the problem was that I only knew them by name, not by how they looked (I was a child in Ohio). NOW, I know what they look like, and guess what?? I’ve seen them many times in the grocery store (I now live in NW Georgia) and didn’t know what I was seeing!! Thanks for the education, Girl!

• Jessica replied: — July 18th, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

I’m so glad I was able to help someone else out!! :-)

Reba Herzfeld — July 14, 2013 @ 2:35 pm

Having grown up in Georgia, I’ve never heard of Cushaw until I was reading a recipe in the Kosher Creole Cookbook for Cabin Boy’s Cushaw. I researched on the Internet and found your blog. Cushaw is also known as Tennessee Sweet Potato Squash. now that I know what to look for, I plan on using Cushaw in place of acorn squash and will certainly make Cabin Boy’s Cushaw. Thank you for informing a true Southern Belle.

• Jessica replied: — July 18th, 2013 @ 5:18 pm

I have never heard it called a Tennessee Sweet Potato Squash! How funny that there are so many different names for it! :-)

Emma — July 16, 2013 @ 4:23 pm

Alright, I must be super dense… I cannot find the 4 recipes you speak of :( I have a garden FULL of cushaw and I am currently baking two big ones, cut into pieces of course, in the oven right now. I am making baby food from fresh vegetables, all from my garden. But there is going to be way more than needed for the baby food, so I’m going to need some recipes to try :) Please help.

• Jessica replied: — July 18th, 2013 @ 5:20 pm

Sorry about that Emma! I actually only have 3 recipes, the 4th one was a recipe that seemed not to be working for a lot of readers. For some reason it wasn’t rising correctly. However, here is a link to the other 3:

Sharon — July 25, 2013 @ 3:46 pm

Someone gave me a cushaw from their garden. Will it be ripe now? It sounds like typically you get them in the Fall.

• Jessica replied: — July 29th, 2013 @ 2:44 pm

I think if it is full sized – it should be fine! Sure it’s more of a fall squash, but if you can grow a pumpkin in summer…I’m sure it’s fine for Cushaw too! ;-)

Gaylen — July 29, 2013 @ 7:10 pm

This summer we ‘accidently’ grew a patch of cushaw squash. My husband planted our usual spaghetti squash but to our surprise, the seeds were mislabeled. We now have lots of cushaw squash in July. I found your blog while searching for recipes. Thanks so much for posting. I had no idea what to do with this squash. Since I am new to canning, excited to puree and can for later use in pies and bread. My first attempt will be with my favorite pumpkin bread recipe. Can’t wait to see how it works out with the cushaw.

• Jessica replied: — July 31st, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

That’s awesome! I wish I had room to grow them!

Saundra — August 5, 2013 @ 11:04 am

I live in KY but only rediscovered Cushaw a few years ago. My mother used to use it like pumpkin in a pie. I now use the puree to make cupcakes using browned butter and it is my most requested sweet. My son in law says it is like biting into “Christmas” The flavor is unbelievable. I tried using pumpkin once in the same recipe but it wasn’t even close

JC — August 19, 2013 @ 10:15 pm

Loved all the great information and discussion on Cushaws! I thought Cushaws were MY family’s little secret, but I see they’ve been gaining popularity lately, and now quickly becoming others’ too. Over the last year or two, I’ve seen Cushaws at a couple local farm markets and even at large grocery chains, too. Most people don’t know what they are – YET! They’re catching on. It is an heirloom variety and was considered rare for a long while, and very difficult to find (if you didn’t have seeds, of course). The Cushaw are definitely a fall squash (much like pumpkin), and with the cooler nights, ours are beginning to ripen now. We’ve grown Cushaws for several years, always winning blue ribbons at the local fair for largest squash (this year at 29# and last year at 35#, even outweighing good sized Hubbards) … but they do need some space to sprawl. We put in 4 hills this year, along side our pumpkins and other fall/winter squashes. Anyway, we are from Tennessee and my family consider Cushaw a traditional southern favorite. My Granny preferred to make “Sweet Potato Pie” from Cushaws, hence they were called, “Tennessee Sweet Potato Squash”. Serve it as a simple squash side, with all your favorite holiday flavorings, or even candied like yams. Anything you can make with pumpkin, you can only make even better with Cushaw!

shirley bruner — September 4, 2013 @ 3:19 pm

I just picked my first cushaw out of my garden today. actually i picked it because it split. i was researching why it split and found you. mine weighed 28lbs. is 23″ tall and 37″ around the fattest part. i have a couple dozen more just like it out in the garden. do you happen to know why it split? too much water? too big? i have gotten larger ones than this one. i love cushaw pies. gonna go cook this baby up and put him in the freezer.

• Jessica replied: — September 4th, 2013 @ 3:22 pm

My money would be on too much water, but I am no expert in growing them!

I’m jealous you have cushaw growing! Wish we were neighbors! ;-)

Jim Rodgers — September 10, 2013 @ 7:22 pm

Cushaw, Autumn Marrow and most other Squash selections are very easy and fun to grow:) This will keep you form having to hunt for them year after year in the market place:)

1. When you clean the main body of a Squash set aside the stringy guts with the seed in a bowl.
    2. Prepare your chosen Squash the way you wish.
    3. Take the bowl of stringy guts and seed and put them in a metal tea sieve 4. Add liquid dish soap and warm water.
    5. Run your hand or hands through it squishing handfuls one after another.
    This will aid in separating the flesh from the seed.
    6. With a loosely close hand use the back of your knuckles to twist and
    push the flesh free of the seed.
    7. Rise and then hand pick the seed form the remainder of the flesh. Keep
    only the plump firm seed and discard any flat empty of embryo seed.
    8. Allow the selected seed to air dry for a few days then collect put them in a ziplock style bag labeled of course with date and selection name of Squash. then place in cold storage in the frig until the wonderful sowing time comes next early spring.

Hopes this helps you find your Squash fresher than you’ve ever had them before:)) Jim Rodgers

Jim Rodgers — September 10, 2013 @ 7:27 pm

Oh as 25% Muscogee blood coursing through my veins I must say we should all be thinking of Native Americans when we grow, cook and eat these wonderful Veggies as all Squash and Pumpkins are gifts from Native Americans along with Beans, Corns, Tomatoes and well the Land we stole!!!!! Jim Rodgers

Lurley — September 12, 2013 @ 12:11 pm

I am from the south and have grown cushaw for the past few years. We moved to New Mexico and successfully grew some here too! Not as big, but just as good! I bake a split a seeded cushaw, scoop out the insides, fill freezer bags with 2 cups of soft cushaw and use it in recipes that call for pumpkin. Milder in flavor! Love it!

Leslie — September 24, 2013 @ 7:40 pm

You are so darn cute! Thanks for the info – it was just what I was looking for!

Maria — September 25, 2013 @ 11:28 am

This is my first year to grow Cushaw. My friend made a Cushaw pie for some of us ladies, and it was so good, so I had to try growing some. I planted 9 plants and got 13 Cushaw. I am very interested in recipes for Cushaw. Thanks for posting.

Susan — September 28, 2013 @ 10:22 am

I need a recipe for cushaw pie. I purchased one at a local vegetable market and have all intentions to make a pie out of it as soon as possible. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Susan — September 29, 2013 @ 1:50 am

Love your site! This is the first time I have planted these squash. The plants sure like to spread out! My new Kentucky-born husband says to clean out the seeds and cut like you explained, but you don’t have to peel. Get more flesh if you wait until after cooking to peel when it cools a bit. I have picked one because I thought it was ‘big enough’ at 18″…but, now know from your blog that it could have gotten a lot bigger so will let the rest grow. The one I picked is sitting in a pretty chair. Now I am thinking after reading all the posts, that tomorrow, it gets cooked.

The Cushaw: My Moby Dick of Gourds | Allthenamesaretakensothisisreallyreallylong's Blog — September 29, 2013 @ 5:37 pm

[…] The gourd in question is called a cushaw; it’s a winter squash. The internets tells me they are more common in the south. I don’t know how these turned up in Cincinnati. Geographically speaking, calling Cincinnati part of The South is nonsense. If you want to read a bit more about cushaws try this blog out. […]

Iva — October 11, 2013 @ 8:21 pm

I love this overlooked goodie, found them to be better than pumpkin or sweet potato in pies,also love to cover with some sugar, then saran wrap the bowl and place overnight in fridge dot with butter because it makes its own juice and bake .OMG good. thanks for blog i love it

A Bog Blog or: More Local Food News | Tennesseetransitions — October 13, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

[…] teaspoon salt 2 eggs 1/2 cup vegetable oil 1 teaspoon vanilla 1 cup packed brown sugar 1 cup cushaw puree 1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen whole cranberries 1/2 cup chopped […]

christine dewing — October 19, 2013 @ 2:57 pm

My favorite go-to farm here in Surry, VA grew these this year, I had no idea what to do with the behemoth I brought home so I’m glad I came across your blog! Being from New England originally I’m familiar with subbing butternut squash for pumpkin, I’ll have to give this a try–but first it’s going to be a Halloween display.
    Thanks for the great info!

mary ellen — October 23, 2013 @ 12:03 pm

aha,i knew that thing was not a gourd like the gal said where I bought in Berlin,OH. we raised them when we lived in TN.A friend calls them “neck pumpkins”.I aim to to have a try raising them here in NE Ohio

Pumpkin, Squash, or Cushaw Bake Recipe | recipe from FatFree Vegan Kitchen — October 24, 2013 @ 10:50 am

[…] The Novice Chef shows how to clean and use it […]

MiracleMommy — October 25, 2013 @ 9:31 am

I love Cushaw squash, but haven’t found it where I currently live in SE Michigan, so I was Googling trying to see if I could find it here and found your blog.

I’m from Ohio, and usually find it in Southern Ohio and Kentucky, but haven’t been in those areas for years now since living in Michigan. Thank you to Jim Rodgers above for the seed gathering tips — if I do get a hold of one, I will definitely be doing that and see if I can grow them next year!

I love the cut them up and just leave the rind on, place in a baking dish, and pour a melted butter and brown sugar mixture over it all, then bake in the oven until tender, sweet and slightly candied. When you eat it, it will start to have a slightly shredded texture like spaghetti squash but to a lesser degree. Sometimes I cover the pan with foil for a bit, then uncover.

Tam — October 26, 2013 @ 11:22 pm

I want some Cushaw now. I love squashes of all kinds. Microwave ovens destroy the nutritional value of your food. I cut my squashes in half, clean out the seeds and turn each half upside down, place it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. Larger squashes add a few minutes. When done, cool for a few minutes, then it is very easy to peel the shell off the squash meat. After the squash is more cooled I put it into the food processor and run it until all is smooth. I use zip lock sandwich bags and put 2 cups/baggie, then I freeze it so I can have pies and all throughout the year. Have you tried Hubbard squash?

Sue — November 2, 2013 @ 3:23 pm

I live in Ohio and have been enjoying cushaw for the last 17 years. The first time I had it, it was cooked in a large skillet with very little water with a lid on until tender. Of course it was cut up without its skin. Only a little butter and a pinch of salt was added. When all th liquid cooked out, the temp. Was turned way up and the squash was browned a little. Slivered almonds were added toward the end of browning. You can also toast your almonds in a skillet on the side and add. It makes a great side dish.

Pam Gulbranson — November 3, 2013 @ 12:30 pm

My roommate brought one home from her brothers house in Omak, WA (Northeastern Washington State. I had no idea what they were called or what to do with it. Thanks for the information.

Avoyelles Parish … Goats, Sweet Potatoes and a Louisiana Fall | Midlife Moments — November 4, 2013 @ 6:25 am

[…] She was making Cushaw Butter which is similar to Apple Butter but made with a squash called a Cushaw and hibiscus […]

Linda Barbier — November 4, 2013 @ 6:55 pm

Reading this Made me think I had written it myself. I live in Houston and it’s getting super hard to find Cushaw anymore. It’s an old favorite of my Dads. When I find some I buy them ALL! I bake mine in the over so I don’t get the extra water in them. Easy to peel this way too. Mix with butter, nutmeg, cinnamon and brown sugar. Delicious! Thank you for helping to get the word out on this wonderful squash.

Sandra — February 28, 2014 @ 11:06 pm

My Mother and I would drive around the Metroplex in N TX looking for this magnificent veggie every fall. Farmer’s Markets, roadside stands, etc., we hit them all. Sometimes we were lucky but too often, not so much. They were a lot easier to find in LA and our family has been eating them for generations. We prepared ours a la Connie-Nov 19 but we would also cover with a lid or foil and then remove the cover to allow the squash. to caramelize during the final minutes in the oven. Of course this was done in a huge cast-iron skillet which I believe added to the dish’s allure. My Mom passed in Nov 2012 but I’ll keep hunting the elusive Cushaw until I can’t search anymore. Thanks for this wonderful blog & tasty tribute.

Ellen Hiser — June 16, 2014 @ 10:22 pm

Oh my! Do you still live in Jacksonville?! I JUST found your blog today because I picked our first cushaw out of our garden! I’m the Director of Berry Good Farms which is on the campus of the North Florida School of Special Education in Jacksonville.
    I googled cushaw squash because I had no idea what to do with it! Thanks to you it’s all trimmed and cut up to be pureed tomorrow morning and I’ll roast the seeds too:)
    If you still live in Jax, come visit our farm!!

• Jessica replied: — July 1st, 2014 @ 1:42 pm

How cool! I actually moved back to Tampa almost two years ago — otherwise I would have loved to stop by the farm. ;-)

Cindy — July 12, 2014 @ 12:03 pm

do you know if these can be fried like a sweet potato?

• Jessica replied: — July 18th, 2014 @ 1:40 pm

I have never tried frying it – but would love to hear the results if you do!

Maria — July 19, 2014 @ 1:36 am

I love cushaw, too. Daddy has always planted them and mama cooked them. Now it’s my turn since they are in their late 80′s and soon will not be planting and cooking them. I cut up 10 of them this week and used a potato peeler to peel them which worked great. This was a tip from my daddy. Thanks for the article.

Sylvia — July 28, 2014 @ 9:34 am

Just cooked my first cumshaw last night. Baked it with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar. Delicious. Saving and drying those seeds, so will plant for more of this odd vegetable. Does anyone know of the vitamin content of this particular squash?

Evelyn — July 28, 2014 @ 9:31 pm

Texas born and raised I grew up on cushow loved it loved it loved. Married and moved to st Louis. My mother in law from Louisiana made the best along with my Texas mother of course. Haven’t had or seen one in 40 some years. Boo hiss.

Janis — August 24, 2014 @ 3:20 pm

I have a whole-lot-ta sexy growing in the garden this year.

Donna — August 24, 2014 @ 7:10 pm

Just found your blog. I’m born and raised in east texas at la line grew up eating this wonderful veggie but always thought of it as a dessert we used it on meats, peas or just by itself. Mom always fried it up in the cast iron skillet after boiling it down to mush. (Kind of like applesauce. But much better). I too have experienced a shortage of the wonderful squash. And seek it out every year