Let’s catch up! (plus things to do in Nashville)*

I have missed you all so much. Did you miss me? Did you realize I was gone?

Probably not. I was only gone for four days…but they were very long, busy, amazing days.

For starters, I guest posted on Friday on Beantown Baker! I made a Churro Cake…or more properly named a Cinnamon Vanilla Scented Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting and a drizzle of Dulce De Leche. But you know…that’s just too damn long. So we will call it a Churro Cake. It was heaven. Jorge ate 5 slices. Make it soon.

–all photos below this point are from my iPhone. i was too lazy to pull out the big girl camera.–

I also spent almost 24 hours in a car with some lovely fellow food bloggers. We drove from Florida to Nashville for Food Blog Forum!

In the back left, we have Jaclyn of Food Plus Words. I have written about my love for her many times before. She pretty much has my heart. She also was the guest poster back in July that shared the amazing Triple Coconut Cheesecake that you all raved about. I am still waiting on her to bring me that slice she promised!

In the back right, we have Julie of The Little Kitchen. Without her I don’t think we all would have gone to Food Blog Forum since it was in Nashville and so far away. But she is one of the greatest motivators out there! Plus she brought some of those amazing blondies from her blog….oh my poor thighs!

And our lovely driver is Christina, from Dishing Up Divine. She is a wonderful friend of mine and is brand new to food blogging! We have been great friends for years and she has always supported this little blog I have. I am so happy she now has a blog of her own to share her amazing recipes with ya’ll!

The drive to Nashville was amazing and the views beautiful! I wish I had been smart and pulled out my big girl camera…but it is just so much easier to use Instagram while on the road!

While I know that these are hills, to us Florida girls they were mountains! We were shrieking at every turn at all the beautiful views. And when we came over a hill and saw “Steep Mountain Grade. Next 3 Miles.” we almost turned around.

We somehow managed to make it to Nashville and immediately went to Burger Up for dinner with Love & Olive Oil. Lindsay told us they were the best burgers in town, and we couldn’t disagree! The fried pickles were amazing and the truffle fries were divine!

For brunch the next day, we took a little trip down to Fido on the recommendation of a fellow food blogger and Nashville native, Erin of Erin’s Food Files. We enjoyed our delicious speciality coffees (with fun coffee art), on the patio, while enjoying the amazing Fall weather. If you ever get a chance to go, order the Huevos Cubano. They were some of the best eggs I have ever had.

Fido is located in a really neat little section of Nashville called Hillsboro Village. Hillsboro Village is a really fun area with a lot of neat shops and restaurants. After brunch, we decided to do a little shopping to burn off that slice of lemon cake we may or may not have inhaled.

I was surprised to find two amazing shops that were kitty friendly. Our first stop was Fire Finch, an adorable little shop with funky trinkets and clothing. They have two in house rescue cats that greet everyone at the door! I was handing out belly rubs like it was my job!

Next up, we walked a few doors down and stopped in a fun art/jewelry shop called Natural Selection. When we walked in the door we were immediately tackled by about 8 adorable kittens. Turns out, they were up for adoption from the Humane Society and Natural Selection helps to find them homes. Instant Love!

I have no idea how I left without adopting another kitten! I’m sure the hotel would have been ok with having a little furry guest. You must stop in next time you are in Nashville and show your support. Great store that helps an amazing cause…what could be better?

One of my favorite stops of the day was at Trader Joe’s! For some reason, Trader Joe’s refuses to come to any where near me…so anytime I am within driving distance, I stock up! Check out that cart, it’s packed!

I was so surprised when we hopped out of the car and I spotted Cushaws sitting among the pumpkins out front. While every one else stared, I ran squealing to the display scooping up the first two Cushaws I saw. I promise to share a recipe very soon! If you spy one of these stripped babies out and about, make sure and grab one. They make one of the most amazing, cream laden, Fall dessert….you don’t want to miss out on this Southern specialty!

P.S. Trader Joe’s please come to Jacksonville, Florida (or even Tampa!). Whole Foods makes my wallet cry. And I can’t live without your dark chocolate pistachio bark. Xoxoxo, me.

To say we had an absolute blast in Nashville would be an understatement. The conference, Food Blog Forum, was amazing and a wonderful way to catch up with some amazing friends. I hope to take a trip back to Nashville to explore even more…it is such a fun city!

And since I haven’t already talked about myself enough, here are a few more fun photos from this weekend.

Lindsay's cat, Sgt Pepper posing for his glamour shot.

It was a total Stach Bash

23 Responses to “Let’s catch up! (plus things to do in Nashville)”

Amy @ The Nifty Foodie — October 10, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

I’m so jealous!! I totally need to attend the next FBF. :-)

Jessica Lynn — October 10, 2011 @ 3:46 pm

I am soooo happy I got to meet you all at BlogHer! It looks like you had a blast for this trip. And that cake? Oh my word. It sounds too good to eat!

Bev Weidner — October 10, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

It was faaabulous meeting you this weekend, Jessica!

Erin — October 10, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

Looks like you had a great time! Still sad I couldn’t go but I will do my absolute best to make the next one!

Jen @ BeantownBaker.com — October 10, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

Sounds like a great weekend. Such a fun group of girls to hang out with!

JulieD — October 10, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

It was so fun…huge thanks to Christina…omg, her driving skills. I’m so glad we went and I’m so grateful to be able to call y’all my friends. Hugs and we’ll see each other soon!

Christina — October 10, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

Julie, you are welcomed!! Mad driving skills? LOL I looooved my first Forum! Can’t wait to start sharing recipes with all of you. Jez, had a blast, thanks so much for talking me into it!!! Love you!

Joanne — October 10, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

Gah. Funnest. Trip. Ever.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — October 10, 2011 @ 9:30 pm

I haven’t been to Tennessee in years but it was so beautiful when I went that I can’t wait to go back soon. Looks like y’all had tons of fun!

Ann — October 10, 2011 @ 10:18 pm

It looks like a great time! I hope to attend some conferences next year….thanks for sharing your pictures and fun!

ErinsFoodFiles — October 10, 2011 @ 10:52 pm

So glad you guys had fun! It was great seeing you guys too! Nathan said Friday night after he met you “Ok, I totally see why you two are friends!” LOL

Paula — October 10, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

That cake is beautiful! Looks as if you all had such a wonderful time in Nashville. I’m surprised that Julie too, did not adopt a kitten or two.

Ammie — October 11, 2011 @ 10:07 am

Looks like a fun trip! We tried Fido when we were in Nashville a few weeks ago and I have to agree, Huevos Cubano all the way!

Stephanie — October 11, 2011 @ 10:16 am

So glad you all had such a great time in Nashville! My parents live there and its such a great city!!

Cara — October 11, 2011 @ 9:20 pm

Oh the pictures you made on the road is my neck of the woods! In fact, I work downtown Chattanooga! I love Nashville as well!

brandi — October 12, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

i. want. that. churro. cake.

miss you all already!!!

Samantha — October 13, 2011 @ 11:20 am

Looks like you guys had a blast! How did you get all of the trader joe’s goods back to FL?! Must have been a lot of room left in the car! There aren’t any trader joe’s around me either, so I understand the need to stock up there!

Katie — October 19, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

Dang, what a fun weekend!!!

And I agree with you about Trader Joe’s. It pains me that they aren’t near to me! I did hear that they are opening one soon in Naples…hopefully that means that it’ll move up to Tampa ASAP!

The Novice Chef » Cushaw! How to clean it and how to use it! — October 23, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

[...] incredibly close to Georgia. As September rolled into October, I lost hope. So while on my trip to Nashville, I bought 3 big cushaws to bring home! They barely fit in our over packed car….but I would [...]

Nikki — November 2, 2011 @ 5:26 pm

Glad you had so much fun in Nashville! I lived there for 4 years for college and it’s definitely one of my favorite cities (next to Chicago). SO much to do, SO much to eat and SO much to see!! And, although I haven’t been there in years, Fido was my regular study place so it holds a near and dear place in my heart. Great pick! :)

The Novice Chef » Cinnamon Vanilla Cupcakes with Candied Ginger — November 4, 2011 @ 12:02 am

[...] an excuse to use it in another cake form. Thanks to my compulsive shopping at Trader Joe’s in Nashville, I also had a ginormous bag of candied ginger to use. So what better way to combine the two?  I [...]

The Novice Chef » White Chocolate & Cranberry Blondies — November 21, 2011 @ 11:12 am

[...] them a little more seasonal, lets add some cranberries and white chocolate. I knew from the trip to Nashville, that these blondies on The Little Kitchen were really delicious. I made them in the individual [...]

The Novice Chef » Food Blog Forum Orlando — March 20, 2012 @ 3:24 pm

[...] food conferences and this was actually my 3rd time attending one (I also blogged about the one in October in Nashville!). This year it was organized by my girl Julie of The Little Kitchen! Thanks for throwing the best [...]