San Francisco*

Back in October, the boy and I went to San Francisco. He has been traveling out to Sacramento for work a lot lately and I got lucky enough to come visit him one weekend.

Instead of sticking around Sacramento, we decided to make the quick hour and a half drive over to San Fran. We tossed our stuff in his ghetto rental car and took off.

Before we made it to San Francisco, we had to make a quick pit stop at See’s Candies. I am now officially on a mission to recreate the Pecan Pie Truffle. I will figure it out if it’s the last thing I do. Seriously. omfg, so good.

As soon as we crossed the Bay Bridge into the city, we dumped the car at the hotel and took off on foot. You just can’t see San Fran from a car window. It’s like a rule or something.

Eventually we found ourselves at one of our favorite parts of San Fran: Off The Grid: Fort Mason Center. HOLY FOOD TRUCK LOVE! There were over 30 vendors/food trucks, circled around in true bandwagon fashion, dishing up some of the best eats. The haphazard strands of lights, local bands, and laughter made us feel welcome enough to claim a spot of concrete and stuff ourselves with something from every food truck there. It was pure magic.

After eating enough for 6 people (and only spending $20!) we headed back to the hotel to prepare for another day of noshing.

Saturday morning we woke up early to catch our Brunch reservation for Boulette’s Larder! It is located inside the Ferry Building and has a great patio to sit and people watch from. Everything was amazing but the DEEP fried egg on top of my sweet potato hash salad was to.die.for. It was the epitome of perfection!

Now my Fried Soft Boiled Egg doesn’t seem half as cool.

After brunch we walked around the Ferry Building for the awesome Farmer’s Market they hold every Saturday.

While at the Ferry Building, we got lucky and met up with my favorite New Zealanders, Catherine and Craig! You have seen them on here before, but this was the first time I have gotten to meet them in person. They recently moved to San Francisco and we lucked out being in the city at the same time!

Before leaving the Ferry Building we had one last stop to make, Cowgirl Creamery! After trying about 600 of their cheeses, I have decided I must become bffs with the owners Sue and Peggy. I love their mission, their standards and most importantly their cheeses. I will now be having cheese mailed to me from California…shipping costs be damned.

After taking in the sights (and trying to burn off the 20 pounds of amazing cheese I ate) we headed to the famous Tartine Bakery. We tried more desserts than I care to admit…but my favorite part was the Humboldt Fog Goat Cheese Sandwich, served warm, made with delicious fresh walnut bread. It was out of this world.

We spent our last night in San Francisco walking around and falling more in love. And then we found ourselves stuffing our faces at some hole in the wall Chinese restaurant in China Town. You know, to balance out all that walking. ;-)

We ate more than two people should legally be allowed to eat. We walked over 12 miles in less than two days. We met friends and made new friends. We parked illegally at least 4 times and almost ran over 50 million bike riders. And we are already planning our trip back.

See ya soon San Francisco!

39 Responses to “San Francisco”

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — November 30, 2011 @ 2:45 am

I love your photos and the blue blue skies and the natural beauty.

And yes, Sees Candies are the best thing ever and if you recreate them, I will rob your kitchen for them :)

Katrina — November 30, 2011 @ 6:24 am

This trip sounds freaking awesome! How have I never been there?! Thanks for sharing!

Julie @ Table for Two — November 30, 2011 @ 7:56 am

San Fran is my favorite city in the U.S., I love love love it. I went last year in September for a business trip (which, your last picture, I stayed at the hotel right on the other side of the Pier!) and ended up staying out there for the weekend w/my bf, who flew out to meet me, and I fell in looooove. Such a unique & historical city. I can’t wait to go back to do more outdoorsy stuff like Muir Woods! Your pictures are making me so jealous!

• Jessica replied: — November 30th, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

Yes! I want to do Muir Woods too!

I also want to try Bi-Rite Creamery. We missed it this trip! :-(

Jen @ BeantownBaker.com — November 30, 2011 @ 8:08 am

We LOVED SF when we were there in 2010. Such a fun and delicious city.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — November 30, 2011 @ 8:52 am

Just like going back on our anniversary trip in May. We tried to go to Tartine Bakery but they were so crowded and out of the banana tart so we left. I wish I’d known Bi-Rite Creamery was around the corner. Grrr! Great, now I want a Fleur De Sel cupcake from Kara’s which was the best thing hubby and I ever ate. I want to have a few of them buried with me in case they bury me alive.

• Jessica replied: — November 30th, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

We didn’t get to go to Bi-Rite either! It is definitely on our list when we go back!!

Erin — November 30, 2011 @ 9:59 am

How fun! That is one of my favorite cities.

Sarah — November 30, 2011 @ 10:58 am

I love calling the SF Bay Area ‘home’! I live in the North Bay, right on the other side of the GG Bridge. You got lucky and had GORGEOUS weather – your pics are amazing! It’s been all fog this week so far. I hope you had some clam chowder in Fisherman’s Wharf in a sourdough bread bowl… that’s my favorite! Yum!

• Jessica replied: — November 30th, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

Stop bragging Sarah. Stop making me jealous! :-P

One day I will move there and you can help convince me that it is all worth the inflated cost of living! haha

JenMarie — November 30, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

Looks like you had a great time! I LOVE See’s candy’s. I love all of your photos, too.

Cate — November 30, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

Please come back (and let’s meet up!)

• Jessica replied: — November 30th, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

YES!! I was so sad that it was such a short trip! There are so many other bloggers in SF that I didn’t get to meet up with. :-(

Gerry @Foodness Gracious — November 30, 2011 @ 2:14 pm

I hate when people post about trips to SF, but only because I love the place and get super jealous!! Your pictures are amazing and the weather looks just perfect, I dont live that far from it but should really visit more often. The Ferry building, the Wharf, the food…..
    Take care,

• Jessica replied: — November 30th, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

Yes we totally lucked out with the weather! Everyone warned us of the fog…but we had beautiful blue skies both days. :-)

nicole {sweet peony} — November 30, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

your photos are gorgeous! you had beautiful weather! i looooved sf when i was there a few years ago & have been begging my hubby to take me back! i hope you got some clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl down at fisherman’s wharf- it’s amazing! anyways, thanks for sharing your great adventures :)

Katie — November 30, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

Sounds like you guys had a great trip! I just visited SF earlier this year for the first time. Seeing your pictures brings back tons of memories! They have some of the best food in SF…. that’s where I gained 5lbs in 5 days! lol.

Tina @ My Life as a Mrs — November 30, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

I am SOOOOO jealous… I LOVE LOVE LOVE San Fran & I <3 Cowgirl Creamy too… looks like ya'll had a BLAST! PS- all the walking totally cancells out the calories (or so I always tell myself!) ;)

Tina @ My Life as a Mrs — November 30, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

*Creamery

Liz — November 30, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

Such great pictures! It makes me think about our trip to San Fran last month! I’m glad you had fun.

Lauren — November 30, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

Sounds so fun! I love little getaways like this with my honey! A great way to relax and recharge!

JulieD — November 30, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

Hey! OMG, the pictures of the desserts and of the cheese! I have always wanted to go to San Fran…love all of your pictures. :)

Angie — November 30, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

Great Trip….Great pictures next time you go eat at Miette lovely little bakery!! They do have a small shop in the Ferry Building. Loved the post!!

mom — November 30, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

What great pictures! Thanks for sharing makes me want to go :)

ErinsFoodFiles — November 30, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

Sounds like an amazing trip! I’d love to go back with Nathan some time, since he’s never been.

Judy — November 30, 2011 @ 8:30 pm

I love travel posts! And foodies who go on holiday really know how to enjoy a good bite. or two. or three. Lovely!

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl — November 30, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

What gorgeous pics! I LOVE San Fran, soooo jealous of you right now. And ha! I love the “Praise the Lard” shirt!

Joanne — November 30, 2011 @ 9:08 pm

Ive been in SF SO MUCH lately and this post made me miss it to no end! I ordered that same lemon tart thingie when I went to tartine! uber yum.

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — December 1, 2011 @ 8:58 am

Now THAT looks and sounds like a dream trip! Kinda jealous over here. . . .

DeAnna — December 1, 2011 @ 10:58 am

This post makes me want to go back to San Fran again. Your photos are so freak’n awesome, I feel I could reach out and grab some of that food and take a bite. What kind of camera do you have ’cause it’s awesome! Think I’ll see if George would like to go on vacation to California next year. :)

• Jessica replied: — December 2nd, 2011 @ 11:19 am

Hey girl!

I currently shoot a Nikon D80 with multiple lenses. But it’s not about the camera…learn your camera inside and out and you can get great pictures easily! Once you conquer Manual mode…there is nothing you can’t do with any camera (well you know, most any camera!)! :-P

And I think you and George would have a blast in San Fran! You have to plan a trip soon!!

The Dinner Belle for Kimberlybelle.com — December 1, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

A deep fried egg sounds amazing! Please tell me that the yoke was still runny? What was the sweet potato hash seasoned with? The textures of that dish just sound amazing.

Next time you head to the Ferry Building/Market on a Saturday, go around back to 4505 for the best cheeseburger ever! It is my favorite burger and I have tried a lot. You also have to try the Mexican stand next to 4505 too and get the chilaquiles- amazing and perfect side dish to the burger ;) San Fran really extends your tummy.

The Dinner Belle for Kimberlybelle.com

• Jessica replied: — December 2nd, 2011 @ 11:26 am

Oh yes! Once you cut through the yolk was perfectly runny!

I have no idea what they seasoned the hash with. It had a delicious sweet heat to it though. It was the perfect combination with the salad and deep fried egg!

And thanks for the recommendations for next time! I definitely want some of the chilaquiles! YUM!

Renee M — December 1, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

Love , love Love your blog! Great pictures of SF and all of the delectibles!

Jmposti4 — December 1, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

Great pics! Can you blog about the photos? Is that a Hipsta app?

• Jessica replied: — December 2nd, 2011 @ 11:37 am

I put those together on the free site picnik.com!

Nicole, RD — December 7, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

I wanna go back! What beautiful photos!

Megan — December 12, 2011 @ 6:40 pm

I live in Sonoma County and love that we are so close to SF! Next trip, you should hit up Liguria Bakery (go early in morning) and XOX Truffles. Both in North Beach and worth the trip!

The Novice Chef » Salted Caramel Ice Cream — June 28, 2013 @ 12:53 am

[…] recipe comes from the cookbook from BiRite Creamery out in San Francisco. Jorge and I went to San Fran back in 2011 and were super sad to have not made it over the BiRite. So instead I thought I would create a […]