Pan Fried Plantains*

Growing up in Texas, I had never heard of a plantain — much less eaten one. Then 6 years ago, I moved to Florida and they were everywhere. EVERYWHERE. I thought they were hard, awkward looking, black, wannabe bananas…and I stayed the heck away from them. A couple of years later, I married Jorge and became best friends with Christina. Both of them are Puerto Rican, and neither of them could accept my disgust with Plantains. So they set out on a mission to make me fall in love with their beloved plantain.

Plantains are to Puerto Ricans, like Pie is to Americans. Could you imagine what would happen if someone said they wouldn’t try pie?! We would shove pie at them until they finally caved and tried the amazingness that is pie. And that is exactly what they did with plantains! I eventually gave in and tried a plantain…and while I was dreading it, I have to admit they are absolutely amazing. The first one I ever had was pan fried…and after that, there was no going back. I now love Tostones (smashed, fried, green plantains), Mofongo (mashed plantains — like mashed potatoes), plantain chips (like potato chips) and even plantain crusted fish.

The recipes using plantains are never ending, but my favorite way is still to simply pan fry them. Pan Fried Plantains are perfectly sweet, caramelized along the outside, and deliciously warm on the inside. They are so simple to make, yet no one will ever know how easy it really is! All you will need is an extra ripe plantain and butter to have one of my favorite side dishes of all time. I love to serve them along side of pork recipes…and I enjoy the cheating feeling I get from having what tastes like dessert with my dinner. :-D

Print Save

Pan Fried Plantains

Pan Fired Plantains are like having dessert with dinner! They can be -and should be- served next to any Latin dinner!

2 overly ripe (black) plantains, peeled and sliced in 1 inch slices
4 tablespoons butter

In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, melt butter.

Add plantains, in a single layer (you will have to do multiple batches). Cook plantains on each side, for about 2-3 minutes, or until they reach a caramelized brown color.

Transfer to a plate covered with newspaper (or paper towels) and allow to drain for a minute or two. Then serve!

If you liked this, you might also like:

How To Peel A Plantain from The Noshery
Coconut Plantain Crusted Fish from My Life as a Mrs.
Plantain Poblano Tofu Wrap from Healthy Happy Life
Tostones with Roasted Garlic Mayo from Closet Cooking
Baked Plantain Chips from Small Home Big Start

40 Responses to “Pan Fried Plantains”

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — January 13, 2012 @ 1:04 am

These look awesome! When I was in Aruba, I posted about coconut oil fried plantains last month. They are so good. With cinnamon (and sugar)…too.

Yours look CRAZY GOOD!!!

Katarina — January 13, 2012 @ 3:38 am

These look really delicious!

Kathryn — January 13, 2012 @ 4:04 am

I love plaintain chips but I’ve never had it any other way – I will have to look out for them now!

Athena — January 13, 2012 @ 7:12 am

LOVE fried plantains! As a kid in Florida, I had them a lot, and I make them on an infrequent basis. Absolutely delicious.

Tina (My Life as a Mrs) — January 13, 2012 @ 7:25 am

i flippin’ LOVE fried sweet plantains!!!! These look amazing!!! Girl, why do we not live in the same town?!!? i need these in my life! ;)

Katrina — January 13, 2012 @ 8:29 am

Mmm big fan right here! These sound so scrumptious!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — January 13, 2012 @ 8:40 am

Yum! I’ll have to make these the next time we do a fiesta, which won’t be long in our place!

ana Gabriela Lira Castillo — January 13, 2012 @ 8:46 am

Your recipe is almost complete, for México, to finish it you should add some cream and sugar (top), and ready, is very, very good!!!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean — January 13, 2012 @ 8:50 am

yum!!! like that you used butter instead of oil. we’re on a plantain kick here too but i’ve been baking them!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — January 13, 2012 @ 8:57 am

These look crazy good!

Erin — January 13, 2012 @ 10:14 am

I don’t think I had ever had a plantain until I went to Miami – god they are good! I want to try this but I hope I can find them in stores.

Shawnda — January 13, 2012 @ 10:17 am

They’re completely under appreciated state-wide – I wasn’t exposed to them until my mid 20’s!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — January 13, 2012 @ 11:26 am

Yumm!! I’ve seen plantains at my local store before… but I’ll admit I’m scared of them. I had no idea what to do with them before. I think I might go try to get one or two to try this. I love how golden they get – they look delicious!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — January 13, 2012 @ 11:27 am

We went to Puerto Rico in 2009 and it took me up until the last day to try Mofongo just because the name makes it sound horrific, does it not? Had I known it was plantains the entire time I would’ve eaten it approximately 25 times in the 6 days we were there. Why didn’t someone TELL ME!?
    Pan fried is the way to go though, these look perfect!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — January 13, 2012 @ 12:40 pm

Oooohhh.. I grew up eating plantains and love it! We used to even have it in sandwiches :D

Liz — January 13, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

My sister lives in Puerto Rico and made this for breakfast when I was visiting. She sprinkled sugar on top and it was amazing.

Neisa — January 13, 2012 @ 2:01 pm

As a fellow Puertorican I agree, these must be tried by everyone and eaten all the time. I forget that not everyone grew up in my household/neighborhood and am always amazed when I come across someone who has never tried it. Plantains and tostones; can never get enough.

Alysa (InspiredRD) — January 13, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

Yummmmmmm. I grew up eating these at my Cuban uncle’s house. They are so good!

wendy — January 13, 2012 @ 8:36 pm

I grew up eating plantains so many ways. Ripe fried with salt and sour cream (aka white butter), green fried with salt and sour cream and either one with ketchup. Also delish to make them as a snack with thinly sliced lunch meat. We also would broil the overly ripe ones. They turn out sweet and can be a little crisp on the edges. We also served them in tapado-a Honduran (Island) soup. The soup consists of meat (either salted beef or fish) coconut milk, green and ripe plantain, bread fruit, cassava, and any other “bread kind” you might enjoy. Served over rice. Yum.

Joanne — January 13, 2012 @ 8:46 pm

I didn’t try plantains until college but now I can’t be stopped. I actually can’t buy them because I’ll just fry them all up and eat them in a heartbeat. But they’re totally good for you, right?

Judy — January 13, 2012 @ 10:21 pm

My partner’s mom is Sri Lankan and she does a perfectly smashing dish of plantains, sliced very thinly so when it’s fried it’s crisp, with salt and saffron. it is absolutely the most amazing thing i’ve ever tried, so I do agree with you that everybody should give plaintains the time of day!

Christina @ ovenadventures — January 14, 2012 @ 2:13 am

I tried to make plantains once and it was a total fail but looking at your pics I think I need to revisit. Thanks for the links at the bottom now maybe I won’t waste 1/2 the plantain trying to peel it.

Padhu — January 14, 2012 @ 6:17 am

Looks so tempting! Pictures are beautiful

Skye @ Skye Loves... — January 14, 2012 @ 8:51 am

They look absolutely delicious – love love love the idea of having desert as a side dish…

Ann — January 14, 2012 @ 10:02 pm

Yours look mouthwatering – I love, love, LOVE plantains! I’m glad you tried them!

kyleen — January 15, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

I’ve never tried plaintain chips, but you know it’s gotta be good when it’s fried. Looks yummy!

Robyn {Planet Byn} — January 16, 2012 @ 2:03 pm

one of my favourite restaurants in toronto serves warm tostones with guacamole as an app. LOVE plaintains!

Jen @ BeantownBaker.com — January 16, 2012 @ 7:52 pm

I had never heard of plantains until meeting my Hubby, who is Cuban. I think I like tostones better than pan fried plantains, but I love all kinds of plantains!

Angie — January 19, 2012 @ 10:16 am

I love those too, and didn’t try them either until I was older and we moved to central Florida. Now I am obsessed with so many new Latin foods, like these.

Javelin Warrior — January 20, 2012 @ 10:48 am

Love these! And I’ve been inspired to feature your plantains in my Friday Food Fetish roundup and on Pinterest. I can’t wait to see what you come up with next and please let me know if you have any objections…

Tamara @jemofthesouth — January 23, 2012 @ 12:35 pm

I love sweet fried platains! The hardest part is waiting for them to ripen. Have you tried the non-sweet ones? I’m not a fan. :-)

Dalis — January 23, 2012 @ 9:29 pm

the trick at least for us here in IL is too find good ripe plantains. The green plantains that get all the way here do not ripe well, no idea why.

— dalis
    btw. it is our DUTY as puertorican to make everyone tried plantains. LO!L!!

Melissa — February 20, 2012 @ 2:02 pm

Great idea to use butter instead of regular oil!!

Leira Carola — November 1, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

Here, in Puerto Rico, we call those Amarillitos.

Two Whole 30 friendly dinners | Low So Paleo — December 31, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

[...] alongside the Everyday Paleo Purple Cabbage Slaw. If you need a little more carbs, you can make Fried Plantains using coconut [...]

Cindy Chen — January 30, 2013 @ 11:34 am

I saw plantains at the deli. I went to your website to find out how to cook them.
    So I bought one and cooked it according to your recipe. It was delicious! Thanks!

Bri — April 7, 2013 @ 1:17 pm

omg. My mom was going on and on about these about a month ago and I was dreading it but I’m always open to trying new things and usually wind up loving them and let me tell you, just like you all, I cant be stopped when it comes to plantains! My mom fries them up in the pan or on a baking sheet in the oven and OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG they are the BEST. SOOOOOOOOOO good, sweet and salty and hard- HEAVEN <3 333 I think I'm literally addicted :) x

The Novice Chef » Surullitos (Cheese Corn Sticks) — June 27, 2013 @ 11:15 pm

[...] Puerto Rican recipes. In the past, I have shared a few recipes here and there…but only one (Pan Fried Plantains) was a true Puerto Rican [...]

Susan — October 6, 2013 @ 5:24 pm

These look awesome and I just happen to have two black plantains lying on my counter. Thanks!

How to Make Fried Plantains – My Take | Diary of a Foodie — March 1, 2014 @ 1:47 pm

[…] use a deep fryer, I particularly enjoy pan-frying them for the best taste and texture. See this blog post for some good ideas, history and reasons for pan frying sweet […]