Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake*

I have now made two Valentine’s Day recipes and it’s not even February yet. Because of this, Jorge has been having night sweats. No, it’s not because he has a fear of everything being red, pink and white. And while we both think a chubby naked guy flying around with a bow and arrow is creepy, that’s not what has him all in a tizzy either. The poor guy is actually terrified I am going to make him do something “traditional” for Vday.

Jorge and I have only celebrated Vday, in the normal way, once. We went to a restaurant that was packed, ate off the preselected menu (which drove me crazy — special short menus suck), and we spent over $200 to celebrate a random tuesday night in February. The next year we started a new tradition that, if you know us, makes a lot more sense.

First, we pick a store; last year it was Target. Then we set a price limit, usually $20 per person. And lastly, a time limit…10 minutes till we have to meet back at the car. Then we walk in together, grab baskets, and go Mission Impossible style shopping around the store. You can’t let the other one see what you have…which means a lot of jumping around corners and scurrying out of aisles when you see the other one coming. It’s incredibly hysterical to sneak around corners and run down aisles while other shoppers stare at you like you have 4 boobs and a curly tail.

After the time is up, we dart back to the car and exchange our gifts right there in the parking lot. Last year I bought Jorge a nerf dart gun and a bottle of wine. He bought me a big bottle of wine (notice a pattern yet?), a bag of Godiva chocolates and a smell good candle. We went home, curled up on the couch, lit my smell good candle and drank both bottles of wine. Then we finished the night with a nerf gun war and the bag of Godiva chocolates.

It is pretty much the best tradition I have ever had. So don’t worry honey, I couldn’t imagine going back to short/special Valentine’s menus, overpriced wine and being surrounded by those annoying, newly in love couples. I will meet you on February 14th, 2012 at Target at 5pm. I will be the one wearing yoga pants so I can stealthily run down the aisles.

I promised all of you that I had an idea to use up the scraps from the Marbled Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies. And that promise is the only thing that kept me from eating ALL of the scraps by themselves. Seriously, if it weren’t for that promise this milkshake wouldn’t be here right now.

I love using leftover desserts to make delicious milkshakes and these were no exception. I really liked the flavor the cheesecake gives to the milkshake…and you just can’t beat that fun pink color! The recipe calls for Bluebell ice cream. Sure, you could use another brand…but I am from Texas, which means I think Bluebell is the best.ice.cream.ever. So you should use it…because I said so. :)

Print Save

Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake

Yield: 1 Milkshake

4 scoops Bluebell Vanilla Ice Cream
a big handful (about 1/2 cup) Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownie scraps
1/4 cup whole milk

In a blender, combine ice cream, scraps, and milk. Puree until smooth.

Pour into a frosted glass and garnish with a few more chopped up scraps. Sure, you could also add whip cream if you are into that sort of thing...but I prefer to get right to the good stuff. :-)

104 Responses to “Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake”

The Novice Chef » Marbled Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies — January 22, 2012 @ 9:42 pm

[…] 3. You are going to have scraps leftover from the hearts. You have two options… One, stand over the sink eating them. Two, come back and check here on Monday to see what tasty treat I whipped up with the remaining scraps! Update: What to do with the scraps! […]

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — January 22, 2012 @ 9:46 pm

I’m not sure which one makes me want to make the cheesecake brownies more, the milkshake or the actual brownies!
    Scaled down menus totally suck. No idea why people would want to pay even more for less options at a restaurant.

Katrina — January 22, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

Dear goodness, this is a whole lotta yummy glass-filled love! Awesome!

Julie @ Sugarfoot Eats — January 22, 2012 @ 9:52 pm

That is such a fun & cute idea for your V-day tradition!!

Dawn — January 22, 2012 @ 9:55 pm

The cheesecake brownies and milkshake sound fabulous, but I’m seriously cracking up over the image of the Target shopping. I love it!

Marsha @ The Harried Cook — January 22, 2012 @ 10:17 pm

ooooooooooooooh… i love red velvet ANYTHING! This would hit the spot… and how appropriate for valentine’s day! Thanks for sharing :)

Lauren — January 22, 2012 @ 10:21 pm

You are brilliant! I ate all of my scraps…but I had to try this! So I used a few of my hearts to make a milkshake right now.

3 minutes later I have the most delicious milkshake! Thank you!!

• Jessica replied: — January 24th, 2012 @ 10:47 am

So glad you liked it Lauren!! :)

Lauren B — January 22, 2012 @ 10:50 pm

I think I love you. The end.

Sincerely,
    Moi

Bonnie — January 22, 2012 @ 10:59 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this tradition! Seriously you guys are awesome. I might steal it.

• Jessica replied: — January 24th, 2012 @ 10:48 am

Totally steal it!

…then send video of you running around the store. It’s only fair!

Kimiko — January 22, 2012 @ 10:59 pm

Omg, I love your V-Day tradition! That sounds like so much fun! We’re also not big on fancy Valentines Day dinners, but we’ve never spend our V-Day running around Target either! LOL. I think your way sounds way better than the traditional way!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — January 22, 2012 @ 11:52 pm

I love this. The traditions, that it’s under $20, that you run around Target like a nut (me too, even on non-Vday challenges…haha!) and the milkshake…YUM!

Krissy @ Krissy's Creations — January 23, 2012 @ 2:34 am

Wonderful tradition! Me and my husband did the restaurant thing too at the beginning of the relationship, but it’s totally not worth it. Much better to stay at home :). What a wonderful use of the scraps of your brownies – Looks delicious!

Ericka — January 23, 2012 @ 7:08 am

I commend you on your awesome new-tradition-making skills! :D

thelittleloaf — January 23, 2012 @ 8:29 am

This looks like the perfect accompaniment to those gorgeous heart shaped brownies you made. Could happily wolf them both down right now, Valentine’s Day or not :-)

JulieD — January 23, 2012 @ 8:39 am

You’re amazing! This is beautiful…and what an awesome tradition!! I can’t wait to see what store you guys choose and end up getting each other this Valentine’s.

Maeghan — January 23, 2012 @ 9:17 am

Now I really need to make the brownies so I can make this!

Cookbook Queen — January 23, 2012 @ 9:24 am

You guys are too cute…love that tradition. And I am majorly in love with this milkshake!!

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — January 23, 2012 @ 9:52 am

Youuuu are a frigging genius. Brownie scraps = milkshake. YES.

Erin — January 23, 2012 @ 9:58 am

And now you have solidified the reasons for me to make those cookies. Not that I had nay doubts of making them before, but now I can make something out of the scraps too!? Yes!

DessertForTwo — January 23, 2012 @ 10:47 am

Three things:

1. I love this Vday tradition!
    2. Yes Blue Bell is the best ice cream ever!
    3. Can I have this for breakfast, now please?

Beth Michelle — January 23, 2012 @ 10:56 am

Aw I love you Valentines Day tradition. Sounds perfect. And, so does this milkshake. YUM

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — January 23, 2012 @ 11:03 am

Beyond in love! My husband and I have only gone out for a Valentine’s dinner a couple of times… I actually think it is much more fun to stay in and cook a nice dinner together!

Lauren — January 23, 2012 @ 11:06 am

What what what? You have gotta be kidding me. This is INSANE.

Skye @ Skye Loves... — January 23, 2012 @ 11:13 am

What an inspired idea. Pink and delicious. What more could you possibly want for? Thank you!

Jenny Flake — January 23, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

Drop dead gorgeous! Love it! xoxo

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — January 23, 2012 @ 12:17 pm

such a cute tradition, I’m totally stealing it! :)

Mandy — January 23, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

!!!! HEADED TO THE STORE NOW !!!!!! Thank you for this GREAT use of the leftover pieces (if there will be any in my house, not sure. I may have to hide the pieces from the kids and husband.) LOL… :-D

nat@thesweetslife — January 23, 2012 @ 1:11 pm

can i steal your tradition? bc that is AWESOME! (as is the sound of this shake!)

• Jessica replied: — January 24th, 2012 @ 10:50 am

You can totally steal it!

But the price is…I require photos or video of you running around the store! ;-)

Kathryn — January 23, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

There are no words Jessica. No words at all.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — January 23, 2012 @ 2:43 pm

so gorgeous and delicious!!! can’t wait to try these!

Maria — January 23, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

This will go perfectly with my red velvet cheesecake cookies! LOVE!

Christina @ ovenadventures — January 23, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

ok totally ridiculous but your tradition (the new one of course) made me get teary eyed. That IS what Valentine’s Day should be. Doing something silly and funny and still heart felt with the one you love for $20 and Target.

I’ve never had bluebell we don’t have it in Canada. I think I need to go to Texas!

This Just Pinned « Kensington Lane — January 23, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

[…] Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake […]

Cassie — January 23, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

This milkshake is my new favorite thing. As is your valentine’s day tradition. You are brilliant, my friend!

Paula — January 23, 2012 @ 6:34 pm

I love your $20 limit Valentine tradition! What a fun way to celebrate the day that is so over-hyped and over-priced. You two are a very smart couple. Enjoy your shopping expedition this year (hope there is more wine involved).

Oops, almost forgot to tell you how wonderful that milkshake looks!

• Jessica replied: — January 24th, 2012 @ 10:51 am

….there is always more wine involved! :-P

amy (fearless homemaker) — January 23, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

what a fabulous tradition you + jorge have. love it! oh, and this milkshake? i love that, too. i could definitely go for one right now. =)

Tammy W — January 23, 2012 @ 8:10 pm

Mmmmmm. Looks delish!!! Pinned ya! Sweet tradition, i love it.

Jackie — January 23, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

Yummm!! This needs to be on a list like this Valentine’s Day Delights list…will definitely have to try :)

Joanne — January 23, 2012 @ 8:51 pm

I love your tradition. I’d much rather do that than eat a subpar menu at a crowded restaurant! Plus target has all the best flavors of Hershey’s kisses and M&M’s. That’s where it’s AT.

You’ve made my V-day with this milkshake. I’ll be drinking it. For reals.

Deborah — January 24, 2012 @ 1:11 am

That sounds like the best Valentine’s day idea ever – I just may have to steal that this year!! And this shake is pretty much the best idea ever, too!!

Jessica @ How Sweet — January 24, 2012 @ 7:36 am

this blows my mind.

brandi — January 24, 2012 @ 9:31 am

1. I need this milkshake.

2. I LOVE the Target story! What a fun idea.

Suzanne — January 24, 2012 @ 10:54 am

The dessert sounds excellent, but I have to comment on your wonderful V-Day tradition. My first year as a newlywed I put together a wonderful assortment of appetizers and wine and the hubs and I had a “picnic” in our living room. This was just supposed to be the windup before our “amazing” V-Day dinner with a million other couples. We too spent a ton of money on mediocre food and had a crappy time and kept wishing we were back at home. I learned my lesson – create your own special valentines tradition and don’t go for the canned flowers/chocolate/overpriced dinner option on February 14th!

Nicole, RD — January 24, 2012 @ 11:21 am

Jorge, move over! I wanna be your spouse!

Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is — January 24, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

[…] My jaw quadruply dropped four times this week. Can you say asparagus cake, red velvet milkshakes, red wine lollipops and PIG CANDY. Pig freaking candy. I […]

Dannii — January 24, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

Oh my!! I really want this right now.

~ Hungry Healthy Happy.

Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) — January 24, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

I love your Valentine’s Day tradition–so much more special and fun! My husband and I don’t make a big to-do over the holiday so I usually just make something a little bit more special us to eat.

Your milkshake idea is BRILLIANT! Love it!

rhonda — January 25, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

Thank you for sharing this. I absolutely love your post & recipe.

Jenni — January 25, 2012 @ 5:18 pm

That’s the way we shop for our Christmas stockings! It is the funnest! And a smell good candle is always welcome:) Have a fabulous, non-traditional Valentines’ Day!

Nikki — January 25, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

What a super cute Vday tradition! Plus, I love Target, so $20 in there you can never go wrong. ;)

Pinterest | — January 26, 2012 @ 12:21 am

[…] saw this recipe online.  I mean…yum, but what got me was the description the woman gave about her and her […]

Allie @ Supper With a Pupper — January 26, 2012 @ 11:26 am

I have been following your blog for a while now, and for some reason, never felt compelled to comment until now. I don’t know why I waited so long! This looks absolutely amazing!
    Aaaaaaannnnnnddddd like the 40 other people who posted before me, I’m going to steal your tradition. It’s so increasingly hard to think of cutesy little romantic things to do throughout V-Day, and this is so simple yet more romantic than trite, forced gifts and activities. THANK YOU!

Katie — January 27, 2012 @ 10:36 am

Wowwwww…now this sounds amazing! I want one of these milkshakes in my life STAT!!!

Valentine's Treats — January 27, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

[…] Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake from The Novice Chef […]

Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake | *bespoke* zine — January 28, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

[…] relationship, well…I still do all that!  Haha.  This year I’m going to be making this Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake for the party.  And I’ll be making it a week in advance too, just to be sure it tastes […]

Jamie — February 1, 2012 @ 7:55 am

Beautiful! My French husband despises Valentine’s Day and every single year for 25 years he rants and raves about how nonsensical and commercial it is and something so American has no place in France and then continues to tell me he refuses to participate. Then on V Day he brings me flowers, chocolates, makes a special lunch for me. *sigh* And I bake for him. Your photo is stunning and I bet this tastes divine!

Sue — February 2, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

What a delicious milkshake for Valentine’s! I just submitted this to the M&T Spotlight http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

28 Sweet Valentines Day Treats | The Design Confidential — February 2, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

[…] 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 […]

Lanee — February 3, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

I plan to start a Vday tradition consisting of take-out for two, a movie, & a couch. Much more intimate than standing in line with 50 strangers to get into a noisy/crowded/overpriced restaurant. =)

L-O-V-E inspirations « — February 5, 2012 @ 6:33 am

[…] Milk-shake? […]

Valentine’s Day: Sips | she cooks, he eats — February 7, 2012 @ 1:38 am

[…] Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake (recipe here): red velvet cheesecake milkshake || photo […]

The Novice Chef » Sweet & Sticky Baked Chicken Drumsticks — February 7, 2012 @ 10:12 pm

[…] Jorge, well that man can clean a wing in .2 seconds flat. Seriously, I have seen him do it. The wing goes […]

Valentine’s Day Drinks — February 9, 2012 @ 9:53 am

[…] Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake; Chocolate Strawberry Martini; Sparkling Cabernet Cocktail; Strawberry Fizz; Red Velvet Hot Cocoa; Strawberry Sweethearts Cocoa; Sweetheart Sangria; Valentine’s Day Crush […]

Red Velvet Popcorn — February 9, 2012 @ 7:44 pm

[…] Red Velvet Milkshake like this one from The Novice Chef […]

Sweets for your Sweetheart: Vday inspired recipes | Marie, Oh Marie — February 10, 2012 @ 9:01 am

[…] {red velvet cheesecake milkshake} […]

Teronia Bayonne (Tara) — February 11, 2012 @ 1:33 am

I LOVE this idea. My fiance loves red velvet (he may hate it after I make everything red velvet under the sun) and i’m always looking for a new twist. Our Valentine’s isn’t quite traditional, this year we are going to Chuck E Cheese’s. I’m pretty sure that I enjoy the games more than our daughter does. Yours sounds like fun, have a Happy V-day!

Saturday Spotlight: the color RED | Make and Takes — February 11, 2012 @ 4:17 am

[…] Red Felt Heart Wreath Red Cinnamon Caramels Silhouette Valentines with RED Hots Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake Red Valentine Playdough Red Rose Wreath […]

whoorl — February 11, 2012 @ 10:20 pm

Need one RIGHT NOW. So delicious!

I’m In Love…With Milkshakes - My Little Otter - Small Details, Big Party — February 12, 2012 @ 11:57 pm

[…] Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake from The Novice Chef […]

Sweets for Your Sweetie | The Reluctant Weight Watchers Foodie — February 13, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

[…] Oh Valentine’s Day…. a Hallmark holiday that has reduced the requirement to say “I Love You” to only once a year.  It’s not really that bad, but still, I think it’s a bit overrated as a holiday!  I tell my significant other that I love her every day!  That’s the way to do it people.  Tell them you love them every day no matter what and then on Valentine’s Day, do something a little different (like Jessica from The Novice Chef Blog). […]

16 Red Velvet Cake Recipes to Celebrate Valentine’s Day — February 14, 2012 @ 10:08 am

[…] Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake […]

Eat Drink Play London — March 20, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

Absolutely love this idea – your food looks divine! Will have to add these to the “to-cook” list ASAP :)

Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake | Food-Smut — October 16, 2012 @ 6:28 am

[…] RECIPE TAKEN FROM: http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2012/01/red-velvet-cheesecake-milkshake/ […]

50 Marvelous Milkshakes - Something Swanky — December 28, 2012 @ 1:14 am

[…] Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake […]

Melissa chase Decator — January 16, 2013 @ 9:53 am

I wonder if you dried the scraps over night on a cookie sheet or in a food dehydrator. maybe you could use them lie gram-cracker crumbs. IE Strawberry cream pie. What do ya think?

Savannah — January 18, 2013 @ 1:42 pm

I’ve never been on your blog before, but you have DELICIOUS recipes! Also, the minute you said you were a Bluebell fan, I became a YOU fan! I’ve got your blog in my bookmarks bar!

Recipe: Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies | Mrs. Fields Secrets — January 23, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

[…] HINT: Don’t let all those delicious scraps go to waste. Use this great recipe to create a red velvet milkshake! […]

Sweet Treat Ideas: Valentine's Day Dessert Recipes - The Rebel Chick — February 4, 2013 @ 5:24 pm

[…] Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake recipe by the Novice Chef Blog is the perfect recipe for Valentine’s Day, but of course you can […]

The Novice Chef » Red Velvet Truffles — February 4, 2013 @ 11:49 pm

[…] what better way to celebrate? But I really am sad that we won’t get to do our traditional V-day stealth Target shopping trip together. Maybe we can do it on Friday when he gets back…and hey, then everything will be […]

50 (or 51) Valentine’s Day Recipes » Pennies on a Platter — February 7, 2013 @ 12:53 pm

[…] Pomegranate Margaritas by How Sweet It Is Raspberry Ice Cream Sodas by What Megan’s Making Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake by The Novice Chef Red Wine and Cherry Spritzer by Rachel Cooks Sparkling Italian Lemonade by […]

sahara — February 22, 2013 @ 6:35 pm

loveee it!!..esp. the pic..mind if i share it :)

Red Velvet Love | blovelyevents — March 21, 2013 @ 7:58 pm

[…] DIY Recipie by The Novice Chef […]

Sweet and Spicy Valentine’s Day Menu | Mom's Menu Planning — June 5, 2013 @ 4:11 pm

[…] Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake – from The Novice Chef Blog Pomegranate – Strawberry Smoothie – from Women’s Health Magazine Old Fashioned Pink Lemonade – from Simply Recipes […]

The Novice Chef: Sweet & Sticky Baked Chicken Drumsticks | Ramona DeBreaux — July 1, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

[…] But Jorge, well that man can clean a wing in .2 seconds flat. Seriously, I have seen him do it. The wing goes in whole and comes out clean…it’s like he’s the official wing cleaner of the southeast. He proudly tells people about the time he beat the nuclear wing (read: hot as a muthertrucker wings) challenge at Beef O Bradys. And as a winner, he got to write his name on the wall and was given a free t-shirt! And obviously those totally awesome prizes made it soooo worth having fire come out of both ends for the next 2 days. TMI? Long story short, the man loves him some saucy dark meat. […]

Monica — August 30, 2013 @ 9:01 pm

Wow, this looks amazing, Jessica! I just discovered your beautiful blog and happened to click my way here starting with the Blueberry Lime Cream Cheese Pound Cake! Everything looks amazing, and I simply loved your untraditional Valentines’ Day story…even though it’s not even close to February haha.

Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake — December 8, 2013 @ 9:41 am

[…] For recipe visit:   thenovicechefblog.com […]

14 Valentine’s Day Treats | Newman's Corner — January 30, 2014 @ 1:52 pm

[…] 8.  This one, I may have to try, it sounds sooo yummy, Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake from The Novice Chef […]

27 Red Velvet Desserts That Want To Be Your Valentine | Best Ways — February 2, 2014 @ 3:33 pm

[…] thenovicechefblog.com […]

あなたの恋人でありたい27の赤いビロードのデザート | 男は美味しいご飯に弱い!最新モテ料理・肉料理! 女子は必見! — February 2, 2014 @ 7:59 pm

[…] thenovicechefblog.com […]

27 Red Velvet Desserts That Want To Be Your Valentine | GossipViews.com — February 2, 2014 @ 11:40 pm

[…] thenovicechefblog.com […]

27 Red Velvet Desserts That Want To Be Your Valentine - zdouf! — February 3, 2014 @ 2:51 am

[…] thenovicechefblog.com […]

Jeobox – 27 Red Velvet Desserts That Want To Be Your Valentine — February 3, 2014 @ 3:57 am

[…] thenovicechefblog.com […]

27 Red Velvet Desserts That Want To Be Your Valentine » — February 3, 2014 @ 3:35 pm

[…] thenovicechefblog.com […]

Homemade Valentine Trail Mix with PRINTABLE Tags for Kids | A Spicy Perspective — February 4, 2014 @ 12:03 pm

[…] Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshakes ~ The Novice Chef […]

The Novice Chef » Red Velvet White Chocolate Chip Cookies — February 5, 2014 @ 12:14 am

[…] v-day desserts. It may not be my favorite holiday (Jorge and I will of course be celebrating in our non-traditional way), but I sure do love all the girly colors and red velvet treats that pop up this time of […]

あなたの恋人でありたい27の赤いビロードのデザート | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない! — February 5, 2014 @ 8:41 am

[…] thenovicechefblog.com […]

27 Red Velvet Desserts That Want To Be Your Valentine | Stash Feed — February 9, 2014 @ 9:26 am

[…] thenovicechefblog.com […]

Fun Valentine’s Day Drinks and a Giveaway! — March 5, 2014 @ 2:58 am

[…] Velvet Cheesecake Milkshakes @ The Novice Chef Love Potion Floats @ Sweet Cheeks Tasty […]

Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshake | *bespoke* magazine australia — April 29, 2014 @ 11:40 pm

Smoothie & Shake Round-UP — July 17, 2014 @ 11:16 pm

[…] Red Velvet Milkshake ~ The Novice Chef this one is for Ainslie, my partner in the love of all things red velvet! […]