Tuesday’s Tips: BACON!*

I am not a good multi-tasker when it comes to bacon. I can cook many things at the same time with no problems…but for some reason bacon screws me up. I can’t cook pancakes, eggs and bacon at the same time. It’s absolutely impossible for me not to burn everything while I am trying to focus on the bacon.

One of my problems is my fear of bacon grease. I know that sounds irrational, but that shiznit hurts when it pops your arms/face! And trust me, it’s not worth it to look like Rudolph just for a few pieces of bacon.┬áSo instead I cook my bacon in the oven! It cooks without any help from me, which leaves me free to flip pancakes, scramble eggs and not get burned by bacon grease. :-D

Crispy bacon from the oven:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil (for easy cleanup!)
3. Place a cooling rack inside the pan (this way the bacon won’t sit in the grease — making it crispier).
4. Spray the cooling rack with nonstick spray and lay the bacon along the rack.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crispy!

And viola, crispy hands-off bacon!

39 Responses to “Tuesday’s Tips: BACON!”

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — January 16, 2012 @ 10:59 pm

Not only does it hurt but it makes a mess of your stove splattering all over everything! I sometimes don’t make it for that reason alone. Oven…duh.

Ann — January 16, 2012 @ 11:31 pm

Oh, I agree! Bacon was made to be in the oven! Not only that, it’s always nice and flat!

Kathryn — January 17, 2012 @ 4:15 am

I always make my boyfriend cook bacon because I hate how messy it gets! It’s really useful to be able to make it the oven too, often I’ve run out of space if I’m trying to cook bacon and eggs etc etc.

Ivy — January 17, 2012 @ 5:05 am

that is totally my fave way to cook bacon as well. plus dumping the bacon grease is so much easier when it solidifies on the foil and you don’t have to deal with washing off bacon grease from your frying pan/griddle!

• Jessica replied: — January 17th, 2012 @ 8:30 pm

Oh agreed! Just wrap it up in the foil….soooo much easier!

Bev Weidner — January 17, 2012 @ 7:42 am

That’s the prettiest dang bacon I ever did done see.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — January 17, 2012 @ 8:11 am

I won’t mention that you can roll it in brown sugar and candy it while its in there. Won’t mention it at all.

• Jessica replied: — January 17th, 2012 @ 8:31 pm

Why are you so evil?!

raquel from Florida — January 17, 2012 @ 8:13 am

wow this is bacon perfection!

Cookbook Queen — January 17, 2012 @ 8:29 am

I am always told my bacon is the best ever. Aaaaaandd…I cook it in the oven!! Best kitchen trick EVAH!! Everyone needs to do their bacon this way. Who needs burns and curled up, unevenly cooked bacon? Not I.

• Jessica replied: — January 17th, 2012 @ 8:32 pm

Unevenly cooked bacon is my biggest pet peeve! (Well biggest pet peeve where bacon is concerned LOL)

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — January 17, 2012 @ 8:54 am

Yes!! This is the only way I’ll make bacon – plus I find that it keeps the house a little less stanky this way :)

• Jessica replied: — January 17th, 2012 @ 8:33 pm

Totally. This is the stank free bacon way. :-D

Stephanie @ Stephanie Cooks — January 17, 2012 @ 9:13 am

This came at the perfect time- I’m making breakfast for dinner and I’ll definitely make my bacon this way!

• Jessica replied: — January 17th, 2012 @ 8:33 pm

Let me know how it goes!!

Anne S — January 17, 2012 @ 9:36 am

When bacon grease pops and burns me it infuriates me! Nothing else does.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 17, 2012 @ 9:56 am

I use to cook bacon this way and got back into frying it but the results are all over the map. I’m gonna have to get back into baking my bacon again. Foolproof really.

Paula — January 17, 2012 @ 11:19 am

Honestly, I’ve always fried my bacon (using a splatter screen as it really cuts down on the hot grease burn hazard and spray) but now I’m curious about baking it and will try it the next time bacon is on the menu. Thanks for this :)

• Jessica replied: — January 17th, 2012 @ 8:34 pm

Why didn’t I ever think of a splatter screen?! Instead I let me bacon attack me until I learned I could make it in the oven! LOL

Katie — January 17, 2012 @ 11:53 am

I bake my bacon, too! I think its 10 times better; however, I’ve never used a baking rack to cook it on. I let it sit on the grease and then blot it! lol. Great tip!

Alanna — January 17, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

LOVE doing bacon this way! Try it with a sprinkle of brown sugar and a crack of black pepper before you pop it in the oven…heav-en!

• Jessica replied: — January 17th, 2012 @ 8:35 pm

Why must you do this too me?!

::off to buy more bacon::

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — January 17, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

I just made my bacon in the oven for the first time the other day and I’m never making it any other way again :)

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — January 17, 2012 @ 2:06 pm

I remember when I was little my Mom used to have this mesh frying pan cover to specifically use to prevent bacon grease splattering on you when you cooked it. Then when I got on my own I couldn’t find that nifty little contraption. That is when I discovered ‘baking’ my bacon and I haven’t looked back since!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — January 17, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

Cooking it that way makes it SUPER simple to make candied bacon or any other kind of flavored bacon as well!

• Jessica replied: — January 17th, 2012 @ 8:36 pm

Agreed! I brushed mine with pure maple syrup the other day……sooo freakin’ good.

Cassie — January 17, 2012 @ 3:20 pm

I definitely fear bacon grease too. This is a great alternative. As long as it’s crispy, I don’t care how it gets there!

• Jessica replied: — January 17th, 2012 @ 8:36 pm

Totally crispy! I promise!

Dionne Baldwin — January 17, 2012 @ 6:24 pm

Thank goodness! I don’t like cooking bacon on the stovetop either. Bacon grease is so painful and really deters me from making it more often. Although, it is good on chocolate ice cream…

• Jessica replied: — January 17th, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

Seriously?! Did you really have to tell me this?

I had never thought of putting bacon on chocolate ice cream…but now I must try it immediately!!

Joanne — January 17, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

If I were to ever start cooking bacon again…this is SO how I would do it!

brandice — January 17, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

I have been cooking bacon on the george foreman ( no popping grease as both sides are covered) next time I will attempt the oven. It doesnt splatter the sides of the oven?

Becky — January 17, 2012 @ 9:47 pm

For whatever reason, I was always taught to make bacon in a pan on the stovetop and like you, the spattering grease freaks me out! I’m not sure how I missed the brilliant memo to cook it in the oven, but I can’t wait to try it! Thanks for the tips :)

MaryG — January 18, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

Another benefit (besides being easier and neater) is that it’s much easier to cook bacon for a crowd this way. I learned to do this while vacationing with two other families. I couldn’t believe that someone was actually willing to cook bacon for 12 people until I saw how she did it.

Pam Miller — January 18, 2012 @ 7:45 pm

We started making bacon this way when we had a big crowd and now make it this way every time. Even though the two of us try, repeat try, to limit ourselves to two pieces each I cook the whole package of bacon at one time and then put the rest of the bacon in the fridge. Then we crumble it on salads, soups and reheat it through the week for breakfast or sandwiches.

Xtine — January 19, 2012 @ 12:31 am

This is how I do my bacon too! And always the entire package at a time, the rest goes into the freezer for using later (a quick microwave to reheat if I want it hot).

Chris — January 22, 2012 @ 5:28 pm

My favorite way is to cook it like you did but toss it in some brown sugar and a pinch of cayenne first. Candied bacon is addictive.

Cbuffy — January 24, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

If you put it in the cold oven, the fat renders a little better.

And when you are done, if you let it cool and then put the foil on the floor outside, the dogs will LOVE YOU FOREVER!

Christy — February 11, 2012 @ 10:49 am

freaking genius!!!!!!!!!!!! — i hate making bacon on the stove top because of the popping grease! it flipping HURTS! Next time I make bacon this is so happening!