Chocolate Covered Potato Chips*

There are a lot of questions that we face during the day..and I have decided to become a Yes! girl.

Should I have another glass of wine? Yes.

Should I make my first time home owning girlfriend a house warming gift basket? Yes.

Should I hit snooze another time? Yes.

Should I buy that $10 shirt that I find hysterical because it’s so totally 80’s? Yes.

Should I bake cookies at midnight? Yes.

Should I let my stylist dye my hair red? Yes.

Should I redye my hair because I look like the freaking little mermaid? Yes.

Should I watch Sweet Home Alabama for the second time this week? Yes.

Should I dip my favorite kettle chips in dark chocolate? Hell Yes! And so should you.

I first had Chocolate Covered Potato Chips at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory in San Antonio, Texas. While everyone else in our group was turning up their noses, I was asking for a dozen to go. If you like sweet & salty these babies are for you!

Chocolate Covered Potato Chips

Yield: 1 bag dipped chips!

Recipe Notes: Do not use chocolate chips. Chocolate chips are not good for tempering because of added ingredients.

9 oz bag Kettle Potato Chips (or Ruffles if you are into that sorta thing)
8 oz good quality chocolate bar with 45%-60% cocoa, chopped
wax paper

Line multiple cookie sheets with wax paper. Set aside.

In a double boiler (or glass bowl) over simmering water, melt 4 oz of the chopped chocolate. Stir with a spatula until completely melted. Once melted, continue cooking until the chocolate reaches a temperature of 115°F.

Immediately remove double boiler from on top of the heat. Begin slowly adding in the remaining 4 oz chopped chocolate, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until chocolate cools down to 90°F.

Begin dipping chips into chocolate as fast as you can, placing the dipped chips on the wax paper. Once you have dipped all the chips, pop the cookie sheets into the freezer to set up the chocolate as fast as you can. You want to set it up fast because the longer the chips sit out...the higher the chances of stale chips!

As soon as the chocolate is hardened, place chips in an airtight container until ready to serve! My chips lasted 2 days...but that was until we ate them all! I do not know how much longer than that they will stay fresh.

30 Responses to “Chocolate Covered Potato Chips”

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — February 3, 2012 @ 1:28 am

You’re probably not going to believe this but last week I emailed a friend that I was going to make these (TJ’s has been out for ages…) and then I emailed another friend and told her. And then I saw Deb of Smitten Kitchen make potato chip cookies.

Suffice to say, the combo of potato chips and chocolate and cookies has been on my mind :)

Yours look beautiful!

Kathryn — February 3, 2012 @ 5:02 am

This is so much easier than taking a handful of potato chips and a bite of chocolate at the same time!

Jmposti4 — February 3, 2012 @ 7:00 am

Well I would say yes to all those too! Thanks for posting!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — February 3, 2012 @ 7:20 am

I’d definitely be a yes girl for these too!

Liam @ "Is butter a carb?" — February 3, 2012 @ 8:03 am

I’m not going to lie and say that I’ve never done this before (because I have. way too many times) but this is super dangerous. I would eat ALL of it. But now I’ve seen your post I just have to try it. Meh, I’ll just live in the gym for the next week. Have a nice weekend :)

Blog is the New Black — February 3, 2012 @ 8:07 am

There is no question here. I NEED these.

thelittleloaf — February 3, 2012 @ 8:19 am

When I was little and we had packed lunch at school we always loved taking a bite of crisps and chocolate at the same time. These are perfect – salty, chocolaty and delicious. Good call :-)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — February 3, 2012 @ 8:22 am

For now on I’m coming to you for all the big questions in life.

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — February 3, 2012 @ 8:37 am

Eeeek! I love chocolate covered potato chips and I love that you didn’t dip them all they way. It ends up too chocolatey that way (if there is such a thing!)

Bev Weidner — February 3, 2012 @ 10:02 am

Every single thing you said yes to IS MY LIFE.

And YES to those chips. Times a billion.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — February 3, 2012 @ 11:36 am

um these are by far my favorite sweet/salty snack ever. Asher’s candy makes amazing ones that are fully dipped.

Joy — February 3, 2012 @ 11:49 am

I personally love the combo of salt and sweet. I could probably eat the whole batch.

Christina @ ovenadventures — February 3, 2012 @ 1:24 pm

i’ll take one bag please!!

Jenn — February 3, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

I’ve made these with ruffles before. and dipped 1/2 the chip in white chocolate and the other half in milk.

YUMMEROOS!!!

Sooooo delicious!

nicole {sweet peony} — February 3, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

hahaha so funny! i’ve seen people making chocolate dipped potato chips for a while, and i’m so curious to try them. but they are a yes, definitely YES. :)

Krissy @ Krissy's Creations — February 3, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

I will be a YES girl with you!!! :)

Paula — February 3, 2012 @ 5:36 pm

Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips??!! Of course! Why not? They look great. Hope you have a great weekend.

Lauren — February 3, 2012 @ 6:15 pm

You are my hero. And, where are the pics of your hair?? Please tell me you have one!

Dianna @ The Kitchen Prep — February 3, 2012 @ 7:06 pm

Girl, you are {once again} speaking my language! Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Now pardon me while I go set up the double boiler…

Joanne — February 3, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

I like this new “yes” you. But only if you show us pictures of the little mermaid hair!

Nisha — February 4, 2012 @ 12:58 am

Love this idea, so simple yet so different. I didn’t know about these, and I’m guessing not many people are aware of chocolate dipped potato chips!

ErinsFoodFiles — February 4, 2012 @ 9:45 pm

Should you have sent some of these to your pregnant-lady friend? Yes.

;) j/k

(Notice I said pregnant-lady friend, not pregnant lady-friend. Big difference.)

Kerstin — February 5, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

Amazing, they look sooo addicting :)

I recently discovered chocolate covered potato chips at Trader Joe’s and make these cookies – http://cakebatterandbowl.com/late-night-snack-bars.html I think you’d like them :)

Lisa [With Style and Grace] — February 6, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

These are SO the rage right now!! Mmm… I want a whole bag of these, like right now.

jaclyn — February 7, 2012 @ 2:01 am

dudegirl i have been obsessing over chocolate covered potato chips since i was a teeny tiny child. they are everything that is right with the world. chocolate covered potato chips were the specialty of a tiny bakery in the town i grew up in North Dakota, and i have been hooked my whole life. so much so that i had them at my wedding! super classy right? that’s me, class all the way. i’m actually posting about them soon too. can we have a chocolate covered potato chip party? like a rave, but with chocolatey snacks instead of ecstasy and terrible trance music?

Jen @ BeantownBaker.com — February 12, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

I love love love salty and sweet things together. I have to make these.

Orange and Dark Chocolate Biscotti | Sarcastic Cooking — May 9, 2012 @ 8:14 am

[…] Potato Chips dipped in chocolate. […]

18 (Delicious!) Things To Do With Potatoes This Passover | Tales of an Overtime Cook — March 20, 2013 @ 11:32 am

[…] 17) Chocolate Covered Potato Chips […]

10 idées pour vous réconcilier avec le sucré-salé | L1FO.ma — May 30, 2013 @ 3:57 pm

[…] Chips au chocolat : […]

#MonthofMeals: December Meal Plan - Mom Favorites — December 1, 2013 @ 6:14 pm

[…] Bread, recipe from Ina Garten Chicken Satays with Peanut Sauce, recipe from She Wears Many Hats Chocolate Covered Potato Chips, recipe from The Novice Chef Rosemary Apricot Bars, recipe from Savory Simple English Toffee, Red […]