Donald*

Jorge and I have moved 3 times in the past 4 years. It may sound like a lot, but we just kept out growing where we were before. Plus, one of the moves was to a new city for a job. With each move that we have made, we have adopted a new animal.

Let me clarify…it’s not like we went out and found another furry baby to bring home. They found us…well me. One followed me in when I was carrying in the groceries. Another ran in my front door when I was getting a package from a delivery man…and the last one I carried inside because he was starving and soaking wet from the rain. This means we have 4 cats and one dog (who thinks he is my human baby). And now we also have a duck…named Donald.

The very first afternoon that Jorge and I pulled up to the new house Donald was there to greet us. He immediately started following me around like a mother hen and tried to walk in the front door like he lived there too. He has climbed into my car, supervised as I painted some furniture in the garage, and yesterday he took my flip flop when I wasn’t looking and waddled away with it.

Everyday Donald comes and sits in my front yard (or sometimes in the actual flowerbed) and watches me work in my studio/office. He waits…and waits…and waits….until I come out and feed him. So far he has gone through 2 packages of my expensive whole wheat pita bread and a half a box of wheat thins. Yesterday I bought him his own loaf of white bread…and tomorrow I plan on finding a local feed store to go buy some duck feed. …in other words, I officially have another pet. Thank god this one lives outside. :-)

Here is a video Jorge took on the morning after we first moved in. I was in my PJs and was unpacking my prop room when I looked up and spotted Donald staring at me. Being the suckers we are, we immediately went out to feed him.

37 Responses to “Donald”

Ann — February 23, 2012 @ 2:44 am

That is SO cute! I have to say, I love that you have a “prop room” to unpack!

Jessica Lynn — February 23, 2012 @ 5:03 am

First, I love that his name is Donald, and second, I love that he follows you around! So cute!!

branny — February 23, 2012 @ 6:04 am

That’s awesome! Donald is so ugly that he’s cute.

DeAnna — February 23, 2012 @ 7:39 am

Hope we don’t see Duck ala Orange on the Novice Chef! *wink* He’s adorable.

Kita — February 23, 2012 @ 8:09 am

Is that kind of duck native to your area? I have never seen one like that before. His little butt wiggle when you feed him is freakin adoooorable! I think its so cute that you have a little friend waiting outside to greet you.

• Jessica replied: — February 24th, 2012 @ 12:17 am

Yes he is native to the area! They are called a Muscovy Duck and are actually a duck that is common eaten :-(

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean — February 23, 2012 @ 8:12 am

this story just made my whole freaking morning!!! i love donald! i’ve never seen a duck that looks like that!

thelittleloaf — February 23, 2012 @ 8:29 am

Donald is probably one of the cutest things I’ve ever seen! We have a stray cat who we feed sometimes but otherwise our lives are a little lacking in cute animals… :-(

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — February 23, 2012 @ 8:42 am

So very cute! We spend some in South Florida during the winter and get these ducks, too. Sometimes we’d have several of them sleeping in the bushes during the afternoon. They’re so friendly and social that it almost freaked me out!

Stayce — February 23, 2012 @ 9:03 am

We became parents of a rescued duck too – they are hilarious! Congratulations!
    Please get Donald some cracked corn (extremely inexpensive) and protein pellets. In my research I found bread isn’t good for them. They do like fruits and vegetables, too!
    Enjoy him!

• Jessica replied: — February 24th, 2012 @ 12:16 am

I plan on going to the feed store soon! Thanks Stayce!

JulieD — February 23, 2012 @ 10:19 am

I love it…he just knew you guys were animal lovers!! He’s so cute! I can’t wait to see more pictures of him! :)

Celestine — February 23, 2012 @ 10:52 am

Good for you. He’s adorable. Can’t wait to hear about his future exploits.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — February 23, 2012 @ 11:07 am

This made me miss my ducks that waddled around our house all the time tormenting the dog when we lived in Florida. It’s freaky how un-spooked by humans they are!

amy (fearless homemaker) — February 23, 2012 @ 11:13 am

ah yes, this is the duck that i thought was a turkey, right?! =) adorable post, jessica!

• Jessica replied: — February 24th, 2012 @ 12:15 am

As long as you gave him some pita bread I am sure he wouldn’t mind if you kept calling him a Turkey! ;-)

Lynn @ Photoblogged — February 23, 2012 @ 11:35 am

Oh my! This is the best post ever!! I think I love you even more because you’re an animal lover! :) Welcome Donald!! I hope we see more posts with you and your siblings. Thanks for brightening my morning up with this story. I am a sucker for awesome animal stories. :)

• Jessica replied: — February 24th, 2012 @ 12:15 am

ohhhh that totally won’t be happening. He is bigger than the cats and they are all TERRIFIED! haha :-)

Bev Weidner — February 23, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

HI.LAR.IOUS.

And I loved hearing your voice again.

And I loved seeing his little tail wag.

omg.

• Jessica replied: — February 24th, 2012 @ 12:14 am

I swear his butt wiggle is what makes me love him!! You know, besides the fact that I now have a duck named Donald.

P.S. I WISH YOU WERE COMING TO FBF!!!! :-(

Erin R. — February 23, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

Oh, how sweet! Look at his little eye looking at you sideways in the second picture! I love that he is so trusting and friendly, and he certainly picked the right people to trust. Have fun!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — February 23, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

So sweet!! I love how he was still looking at your hands wanting more. At lead this way you don’t have to clean up after him too ;)

Dianna @ The Kitchen Prep — February 23, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

Awww! You’re a Duck Mama! :D I love that you tried to show him that there were no more treats to feed him, like he would respond, “Oh, ok. Thanks for breakfast.” I do the same thing to my sweet “Nephew Dog.” Haha!

• Jessica replied: — February 24th, 2012 @ 12:13 am

It’s the universal sign for you don’t have anything else to give! haha! I just love that when I do it he looks around and at the ground like I might have been lying!

ErinsFoodFiles — February 23, 2012 @ 6:46 pm

Freaking hilarious and adorable! What’s next, a pot bellied pig?

• Jessica replied: — February 24th, 2012 @ 12:12 am

Umm..seriously? Have you been talking to Jorge?

I have wanted a pot bellied pig since…well, forever!! It’s on my bucket list!! :-)

nicole {sweet peony} — February 23, 2012 @ 8:28 pm

I just LOVE this! But first, congrats on the move and I’m totes jealous that you have an entire prop room to unpack :) My husband and I are total suckers for animals too and would have our own brood if we didn’t live in an apartment. For now, we’ll keep treating our dog and letting him believe that he is our baby. :)

Jany@SuperCuteCookies — February 24, 2012 @ 10:58 am

Donald is so adorable!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — February 24, 2012 @ 11:22 am

That’s hilarious! We used to have deer that would come and raid out bird feeders when we lived in CT so I started buying bird seed in bulk for them!

Megan @ Country Cleaver — February 24, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

I think in two weeks he’ll actually let you pet him and carry him around under your arm like a football.

I need a duck. Oddly enough I think him and my “bird dog” would be best friends. The mutt is pretty much useless in the hunting dog regard… Cuddlez!!

Laura — February 24, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

I don’t think they have “duck feed” girl, try some cracked corn!

Flavia — February 24, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

Absolutely adorable. I believe animals come into our lives for a reason. It looks like he’s going to bring you a lot of joy! Have fun!

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — February 25, 2012 @ 8:07 am

Oh my goodness. I wonder why Donald loves humans so much. I would be interested to know if he is someones abandoned ducky. Cute little guy. His little butt wiggle is adorable! Congratulations on your new addition. :)

Laura — February 25, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

You’re so sweet in trying to help him! Maybe you already know this, but Donald is a Muscovy Duck. Here’s a website I found with some information about Muscovy ducks in case you’re interested (includes some of the things they like to eat): http://www.avianweb.com/muscovyduck.html Good luck!

JulieD — February 29, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

OMG, I love it! He is so cute! And I do the same motion to Charley and he knows what I mean…I know he does! I love that you “gather” new pets every time you move…you guys can’t move anymore!! What would do you with Donald if you did?

My Favorite Bakers and Bloggers – Must See Sites — March 2, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

[…] churro cupcakes and brown butter ice cream?    Pure awesomeness.   And she has a duck.  Named Donald.    I told you she was […]

The Novice Chef » Green Velvet Cheesecake Shamrocks — March 5, 2012 @ 8:58 pm

[…] and nephew (Miguel) over to hangout and hide from the rain. While the storms were raging, we fed Donald, played video games and watched movies. Half way through the afternoon Ana started getting a little […]