Seattle As Seen Through An iPhone*

I just got home from waking up to this magical view each morning…and I already miss it. Of course I missed my 4 legged babies and Jorge, but if I could manage to just scoop up my life and drop it in Seattle — I totally would.

I get so many emails from people about cameras, lenses, and editing software. While I do shoot most of the photos for this blog with a Nikon D80, I wanted to show that you can get great photos with any camera…even a camera phone!

Every single photo in this post was shot on an iPhone. Every.Single.One. You don’t have to have a fancy camera or spend a lot of money to take fun photos!! You just have to learn to maximize the camera you have.

These photos were all edited in Filterstorm ($3.99 in app store), Instagram (free), or both. The collages were all put together in PicFrame ($.99 cents).  After I left Seattle, I learned about the amazing photo taking app Pro HDR ($1.99). It takes really cool shots, but none of these photos in this post were actually taken with it.

I  got to spend 4 glorious days in Seattle and it just wasn’t enough. I was there for the BlogHer Food Conference and was lucky enough to have some time to explore this gorgeous city. The weather was a little rainy, but nothing like I expected! It was a gorgeous crisp 70 – 80 degrees during the day, which was perfect walking weather.

One of my first stops was to Top Pot Doughnuts. I went with Lauren (of Lauren’s Latest), Tina (of My Life As A Mrs), and Shari (of Tickled Red). Thankfully with that many ladies, we were able to try a good selection of donuts. While the maple was delicious, I can say without a doubt, you must try their Old Fashioned!  Oh and the Chocolate Ovaltine Latte was pretty dang amazing.

Of course, we also hit up Pike Place Market! I was shocked how busy it was on a Thursday afternoon. There were people everywhere…shopping, eating and posing for photos. I loved seeing all the fresh fruits, flowers and seafood that was available for such low prices. If I lived in Seattle, Jorge and I sure would be eating a lot more fish!

Top Left: One thing I couldn’t believe, were the views from the market. If you walked to the back wall of the market, you were always guaranteed a beautiful view of the water.

Top Right: One of my favorite stops we made was to Beecher’s Handmade Cheese. They had giant troughs of cheese (seriously – troughs!) and were handing out samples left and right. It’s a must see!

Bottom Left: For lunch we went to a Seattle classic, The Pink Door. Their menu was amazing, but we all ordered the same thing…a buttery grilled cheese made with Beecher’s Cheese and their rustic tomato soup. It was the perfect lunch with the rain and colder weather.

Bottom Right: One thing that blew my mind — the flowers! Almost half of the top floor of the Pikes Place Market is dedicated to flowers. They had giant bouquets of flowers with Poppies and big colorful Peonies for $10. I could NOT believe it. In Florida, we would pay 6 times that amount and the flowers would not be as pretty. I said countless times that I wish I could buy them all and carry them home.

Top Left: A quick shot at one of the vegetable stands at Pike Place Market. The amount of fresh, affordable, organic produce was mind blowing.

Top Right: At one of the late night parties we had some fresh celery from Duda Farm Fresh Foods and had a dipping party. I just love their individual packed vegetables!

Bottom Left: The sliders and Carrot Juice cocktails at the Four Seasons were amazing. The Carrot Juice drinks had carrot juice (well, obviously), ginger ale, cardamom …and something else. I am dying to try to recreate the recipe…maybe I can sweet talk it out of them. ;)

Bottom Right: One last view of Pikes Place Market.

During one of the breaks from the conference, a group of us hit up Lowell’s in Pikes Place Market. Lowell’s is a classic eatery (it’s been around since the 50’s!) and is one of the “must do’s”. They have an awesome fresh menu that changes throughout the day and has everything from fresh halibut to pork carnitas. It was so good that every plate was licked clean when we left!

Of course I wasn’t always stuffing my face…I also really enjoyed party hopping around the city.

In the top left photo, you can see Megan, Tina, Me and Lauren having a blast at the photo booth that Blogher set up. Mustaches are all the rage! And over in the top right photo you can see me and my new Acer laptop! Microsoft was at one of the parties being thrown and I won the new laptop!! I can not wait to try out One Note. Seriously, it will change your life.

Then in the bottom two photos, you can see Tina and I being dorks with our Pretzel Crisps®. I have been working with Pretzel Crisps® for a couple weeks now and I just can’t begin to tell you how great they are!

Leaving Seattle wasn’t easy, but I know I will make the cross country trip again one day!

36 Responses to “Seattle As Seen Through An iPhone”

Lauren — June 12, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

All these memories are coming flooding back! Miss ya, girl! So glad we got to hang out!! xoxo

Meaghan @ Big Dreams Big City — June 12, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

WOW! Such beautiful photography :)

Megan {Country Cleaver} — June 12, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

That was such a fun weekend!! I miss you girls already – seriously, there are muscles in my face I never knew I had. So. Much. Laughing. Can’t wait ’til next time!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — June 12, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

Love these pictures! And it looks like a fabulous time – wish I could have gone :)

Joy — June 12, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

It looks like you had a ball. Impressive you used your phone the whole time.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — June 12, 2012 @ 5:33 pm

What great pictures! Looks like an amazing trip, wish I was able to go!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 12, 2012 @ 7:05 pm

I’m kicking myself I didn’t make Seattle happen. Why oh why didn’t I just make it happen…thank you for letting me live vicariously. It looks amazing!!!!

Stephanie — June 12, 2012 @ 7:56 pm

Looks like you had tons of fun. Thanks for sharing!

DessertForTwo — June 12, 2012 @ 10:36 pm

You always take such nice photos; the fact that these stunning shots were shot with your iPhone is no surprise! You’re so talented!

Amy — June 12, 2012 @ 11:34 pm

So glad that you loved Seattle! I’ve lived here for my entire life and am still incredibly in love with the city and its suburbs.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — June 13, 2012 @ 1:03 am

Awww, it looks like you had a blast! So bummed I couldn’t make it.

Jessica Lynn — June 13, 2012 @ 4:04 am

SO much fun! Loved the photos :) I’m crossing my fingers I can go to BlogHer Food in Austin!

Peabody — June 13, 2012 @ 5:04 am

It was fun finally getting to meet you in person. Glad you enjoyed Seattle so much. Moving there 8 years ago was a really good choice on my part. You should come back. :)

jmposti4 — June 13, 2012 @ 6:07 am

Thank you for sharing!

shelly (cookies and cups) — June 13, 2012 @ 8:37 am

I loved Seattle! It was so great to meet you for real :)

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — June 13, 2012 @ 8:52 am

This looks SO fun!!! Loved following along on Instagram too. :) Hope to be there and see you next year in Austin!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — June 13, 2012 @ 10:36 am

It was awesome seeing you again, Jessica! If only for a smidge here and a smidge there!

Jessica Kutok — June 13, 2012 @ 11:25 am

Oh my gosh!!!!!
    I officially want to go to Seattle. It seems like there’s so much culture there and the pics are beautiful! Especially the night time one and the flowers :)

And you’re right, you don’t need a super expensive cam to take nice pics, I take some pretty bangin’ ones on my I-Phone as well. That’s all I used on my trip to Florida!

Adrienne — June 13, 2012 @ 11:52 am

Glad you enjoyed our lovely city! Rain or shine, it’s a beauty!

Ana — June 13, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

Fun fun! I enjoyed seeing your instagram pictures through my iphone!

Liz — June 13, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

Great photos! It looks like you had a nice time!

Lauren | Sweet Splendor — June 13, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

Looks like tons of fun! Great pictures! The iPhone camera has come along way :)

Denise and Laura — June 13, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

I’ve never been to Seattle but you kind of made me want to go! The food looks delicious!

Lisa | With Style and Grace — June 13, 2012 @ 3:38 pm

Great recap, Jessica! It was so wonderful to FINALLY meet you! Love all your photos, really shows just how beautiful Seattle really is.

ErinsFoodFiles — June 14, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

Stunning! Looks like a blast, wish I could have been there with you guys!!

Morgan — June 15, 2012 @ 12:57 am

i’m so glad you loved “my” hometown! i know what you mean, it’s magical! i miss it every day. it’s an incredible city! chicago’s not so bad either though :)

next time you go to seattle, you have to get the bolognese at pink door. it will change your life. it sounds dramatic but it melts in your mouth – it’s INSANE!!! i used to live 2 blocks from pike place market and it was the best year of my life. wish i could have shown you around!

Debra Kapellakis — June 17, 2012 @ 10:02 am

The Northwest is awesome! I lived in Oregon and Pikes Market was and obviously is a still must. thanks for sharing

The Novice Chef » …the little I know about food bloggin’ — June 18, 2012 @ 12:23 am

[…] other bloggers is -believe it or not- offline. The photo above is of Megan, Tina, me and Lauren at Blogher Food from this year. I have also gone to Food Blog Forum Orlando and Nashville. All were an awesome way to meet other […]

Thursday Things — June 21, 2012 @ 3:14 am

[…] after seeing recaps from Jenna, Jessica, Heidi, Maria, Bev, Lisa, Jenny, Amanda, Shelly, Jessica, Melissa, and many more, I really am kicking myself because even if I didn’t go to one […]

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — June 26, 2012 @ 1:38 am

I was teasing my kids that if I had brought them with me to Seattle I wouldn’t have bothered coming home! Top Pot was amazing as was Beecher’s, although I’d add to that list the meal I ate at Purple the night before I left. Oh my lawdy it was GOOD! I’m already pipe dreaming of going back…

The Novice Chef » Tree Top Apple Orchards in Washington — June 26, 2012 @ 8:26 pm

[…] month Seattle was infiltrated with food bloggers and the brilliant minds behind Tree Top planned a trip to the center of Washington state to visit […]

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — July 20, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

What a fun trip! I have always wanted to go to Blogher Food.

The Novice Chef » Idaho Potato Harvest — October 1, 2012 @ 3:46 pm

[…] them for their blogging trip to explore all that Idaho has to offer, I was ecstatic. I have been to Seattle and to the center of Washington, so I just knew Idaho must be just as stunningly beautiful. I […]

Mariya Kuyan — December 24, 2012 @ 2:28 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed Seattle!! I have lived here all my life and there is still so much I haven’t experienced or seen. Four days is definitely not enough to get a good enough glimpse of this beautiful city!

The Novice Chef » walk down memory lane…2012 edition! — July 2, 2013 @ 3:13 pm

[…] so many new and familiar places like…. Washington, The Bahamas, Hershey, South Carolina, Seattle, Cozumel, Idaho, Texas (3 times!), Orlando, Savannah, California and NYC. I celebrated 4 years of […]

The Novice Chef » Ginger Bourbon Apple Cider — November 4, 2014 @ 8:15 am

[…] became internet friends with Jessica many, many years ago. I finally met her in real life in Seattle a few years ago with Tina and we sat around gossiping and chowing down for hours. She is the […]