Fish en Papillote (Fish in Parchment Paper)*

Fish en Papillote, How To, Step by Step

I know I am not the only one who was scared to make Fish en Papillote. I have ordered Fish en Papillote many times, in many restaurants.  I was always so amazed at the perfectly wrapped packages with the glorious surprise of juicy, flaky fish hiding just below the folds of parchment paper.

Once I saw that all I needed to make these little babies were my awesome heart cutting skills, I was so down with the Papillote. This is one of my favorite week night dinners since it only takes 30 minutes from start to finish. It even makes a great fancy dinner party meal since you can wrap the packets up to 4 hours ahead of time! I usually serve this with couscous (if we are being healthy)…or a fresh loaf of warm french bread to mop up the juices. YUM-O!

Fish en Papillote, How To Fish in parchment paper, How To Fish en Papillote

Preheat your oven to 400°F.

You will also need the following ingredients:
8 oz filet of fresh Fish (you pick! I used Tilapia this time.)
A chopped Veggie (like asparagus or broccoli)
A thinly sliced Citrus (think Lemon or Orange)
Butter, sliced
Herbs! (Rosemary, Sage, Chives…etc.)
Freshly ground Pepper & Garlic Salt
Parchment Paper
Scissors

Fish en Papillote, How To Fish in parchment paper, How To Fish en Papillote

Use your mad cutting skills you learned in art class and cut a large square of parchment paper into the shape of a heart.

Fish en Papillote, How To Fish in parchment paper, How To Fish en Papillote

Open the heart and lay down your veggies of choice on one side of the heart. Top them with a few thin slices of butter and give them a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper and garlic salt.

Fish en Papillote, How To Fish in parchment paper, How To Fish en Papillote

Top your veggies with your fish filet. Top the fish with a few more thin slices of butter and give it a healthy dose of freshly ground black pepper and garlic salt.

Fish en Papillote, How To Fish in parchment paper, How To Fish en Papillote

Top your fish with super thin slices of the citrus of your choice. Toss your herb on top and you’re ready to seal it up!

Fish en Papillote, How To Fish in parchment paper, How To Fish en Papillote

To seal, tightly roll the edges towards the fish to ensure no juices leak out while cooking. At this point you can either bake it right away or refrigerate it for up to 4 hours before baking.

To bake: Place on a baking sheet. Bake for 2o minutes at 400°F, or until fish is cooked through!

32 Responses to “Fish en Papillote (Fish in Parchment Paper)”

Megan — July 23, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

Where’s the picture of the finished product?! Looks and sounds delish. Will def have to try this week as I have some fish in the fridge ready to be used.

• Jessica replied: — July 23rd, 2012 @ 8:21 pm

Since this isn’t a traditional recipe post, I wanted to concentrate on HOW to do it instead of the end game. :)

But it looks pretty much the same, just the citrus and rosemary loose a little of their color.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — July 23, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

Awesome! I love how it’s made in a heart. Would be a fun excuse to make this for Valentine’s Day right?

raquel from Florida — July 23, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

Where is the baked fish? It was too good you ate it all and forgot to take the picture??? Heheheh! Great recipe!

• Jessica replied: — July 23rd, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

Sara @ The Little Bite — July 23, 2012 @ 8:33 pm

I love baking fish in parchment! It’s a great way to try out new flavors and spices. If it doesn’t turn out, you haven’t wasted an entire dish, just one fillet. It’s also a great way to customize fish for a dinner party – a fish en papillote bar, which could cook while everyone’s enjoying appetizers and pre-dinner drinks.

ok…well that’s the type of things I fantasize about all day…fish en papillote bars.

• Jessica replied: — July 23rd, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

That would seriously be like the most awesome party ever. Seriously.

Sara @ The Little Bite — July 23, 2012 @ 8:43 pm

Well you’re totally invited. :)

DessertForTwo — July 23, 2012 @ 9:17 pm

Lovely! I’ve always wanted to try this, but was too scared. But now that I know a heart is involved, I’m in!

Kendra little — July 23, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

Oh, I’ve never included asparagus. That looks great!

I’ve had problems getting the crimping to keep the parchment paper closed. My fella convinced me to just staple it shut to get ‘er done. Not so pretty, but it worked.

leslie — July 23, 2012 @ 9:36 pm

I can only imagine how delicious and easy these were. Now I only wish the people that live in my house ( I am not claiming them right now) ate seafood

Nikki @Pennies on a Platter — July 23, 2012 @ 10:54 pm

I’m sold. This looks so easy…just like I like it! :)

Lisa | With Style and Grace — July 24, 2012 @ 1:53 am

this is such beautiful presentation!! love the photos.

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts — July 24, 2012 @ 3:22 am

Your photography is seriously beautiful!!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — July 24, 2012 @ 10:13 am

I love love love the presentation of this fish. So cute that you put it in a heart shape.

Bev @ Bev Cooks — July 24, 2012 @ 10:55 am

Wait! I want to see the end result! Can you stick a camera down into your belly, please? ;)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — July 24, 2012 @ 11:06 am

Where’s the cooked fish? I’m kidding. I’m guessing you want to focus on the how to and not the end result? :-)

This is very fancy pants, can’t wait to give it a go!

Tina {My Life as a Mrs} — July 24, 2012 @ 11:41 am

LOOKS. AH.MAZ.ING. Coming over for dinner. ;)

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — July 24, 2012 @ 12:07 pm

Certainly cuts down on cleaning time! This looks gorgeous! I love it :)

Eileen — July 24, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

Your fish en papillote looks just beautiful! I love all the lemon slices and fresh herbs. Isn’t it great to discover that something you love already is so easy to cook yourself? :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — July 24, 2012 @ 3:17 pm

Awesome tutorial! i’ve always wanted to cook with parchment paper.

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — July 24, 2012 @ 4:59 pm

So cute! Love the heart!!!

And love making fish en papillote. So simple and healthy, and this ingredient combo looks delish!

Kelsey — July 25, 2012 @ 1:00 am

Don’t you love it when amazing meals are so simple? Thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to try it!

Joanne (Inspired Taste) — July 28, 2012 @ 10:10 am

Great post! So simple, but soooo good!

Susan — July 28, 2012 @ 11:49 pm

Wow, this was so easy and delicious! Thanks for a great tutorial!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — August 17, 2012 @ 7:39 pm

OMG! I haven’t made Fish en Papillote in like, years! I don’t know why because it always creates the most tender and flavorful fish.

Bharati Naik — October 27, 2012 @ 2:51 am

Erica — August 15, 2013 @ 3:26 pm

could i sub the butter to olive oil instead?

• Jessica replied: — August 19th, 2013 @ 1:16 pm

Yes you can!

Fish en Papillote | dawn spitfire's blog — September 4, 2013 @ 2:53 pm

[…] – or you can go with the heart shaped method like illustrated by The Novice Chef […]

illumne — September 24, 2013 @ 10:01 am

[…]   thenovicechefblog.com […]

Catalina Offshore Products Wholesale Fish | Food and Us — December 19, 2013 @ 10:36 pm

[…] at drawing or making valentines. I decided to use lemons and asparagus that the Novice Chef used in this blog post. I figured out that cod should be steamed for about twelve minutes by Googling and stumbling […]