Homemade Strawberry Milk*

School has started and although I may not have kids or be in school myself anymore, memories of the school cafeteria and strawberry milk came rushing back to me. To be perfectly honest, I am pretty sure my hankerin’ is not from me reminiscing as much as it is thanks to the non-stop milk commercials on TV this time of year.

Yesterday after some serious pool laps (that’s right, I swam laps instead of floating on a big pink noodle the whole time), I swung by the grocery store to pick up a few things. I happened to be grabbing a gallon of regular milk when I spotted a big pink jug of Strawberry Milk. I glanced at the nutrition and promptly put it right back. There may have been 4 lbs of butter sitting in my cart (heeyyy, I am writing a cookbook! It’s work related butter!), but there was NO way I was going to drink half a glass of Strawberry Milk for over 300 calories and almost 50g of sugar. Dream on Strawberry Milk makers, I can make it myself for less calories, sugar and money!

So I came home and grabbed some of the strawberries that were about to turn bad from my fridge and made a strawberry simple syrup. Does it still have sugar? Of course, but it has much less than the store bought kind. Plus, when mixing the strawberry simple syrup into your milk you can decide on how much to add. I have been enjoying Strawberry Fat Free Milk all week and it has been fabulous! ;)

Homemade Strawberry Milk

Yield: 2-4 cups Strawberry Milk

Total Time: 20 minutes

1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
milk

In a small sauce pan over medium high heat, bring strawberries, sugar and water to a boil. Boil for 10-12 minutes --until the mixture slightly reduces and the strawberries are starting to break down.

Using a mesh strainer, strain the mixture into a bowl and allow to cool. Once cool stir strawberry syrup into cold milk --adding as little or as much as you like!

If you have any leftover, syrup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

31 Responses to “Homemade Strawberry Milk”

DessertForTwo — August 16, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

I love this!
    Please tell me Jorge is blowing into that straw in order to make the bubbles in the photo! :)

• Jessica replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 2:48 pm

haha! No that was me…thank god for tripods and timer settings ;-)

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — August 16, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

What a pretty pink! Love that you can control how much syrup you put in. I tried making strawberry milk last month just by blending strawberries, milk and some honey. Yeah. That didn’t work out so well. This sounds much better. :)

And good for you for putting that milk back! Things that are half sugar kind of scare me. Unless it’s an actual dessert!

loulou — August 16, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

Wow, I am so going to try this! I’ve never had strawberry milk before but my doctor recently advised me to make sure I’m getting enough calcium. Since I don’t drink milk normally, this might be ideal. It sounds so good!

Ala — August 16, 2012 @ 3:31 pm

I just looked up the ingredients for store-bought strawberry milk: competing for first place were our good friends high fructose corn syrup, Lowfat milk, propylene glycol, FD&C Red #40, FD&C Blue #1, carrageenan, and guar gum. Yum. Yeah, I’m only making your version from now on–thanks so much for sharing this homemade gem!

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts — August 16, 2012 @ 3:35 pm

This looks so good!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 16, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

Oh this pretty much beats any strawberry milk pink powder I grew up with – by a mile! Delish!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — August 16, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

So my schools never had strawberry milk (I actually don’t think I’ve ever even tried strawberry milk before) but I am thrilled to make this. Plus, it’s so easy!

And I’m totally not judging you about the 4 lb of butter in the shopping cart. I do the same, and I’m not even writing a cookbook!

Katarina — August 16, 2012 @ 11:48 pm

Lovely pictures! And it sounds great!

amy @ uTryIt — August 17, 2012 @ 3:01 am

I love your beautiful and healthier version of homemade strawberry milk. :) So pretty.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — August 17, 2012 @ 7:28 am

Strawberry milk use to be the only way I’d drink it as a kid!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — August 17, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

This sounds way better than the store bought stuff! Much healthier than all that strawberry milk I drank as a kid!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — August 17, 2012 @ 5:59 pm

Now that is my favorite color! So pretty! And it looks so delicious! I was going to say I need to make this for my kids, but who are we kidding, it would totally be for me :D

ErinsFoodFiles — August 17, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

YUM!! Great idea!

Mindy — August 17, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

I’m not a strawberry milk afficionado, so this may seem obvious to everyone else. Why do you have to strain the mixture? I was wondering about a possible puree after the mixture cools a bit instead to use as the syrup. Thanks for the beautiful (and yummy) idea!

• Jessica replied: — August 22nd, 2012 @ 2:14 pm

Hey Mindy,

If you wanted to, you could puree the strawberries in. It would just make the milk have a different texture and you would have bits of strawberry and strawberry seeds floating around. :)

Katrina — August 18, 2012 @ 9:00 am

I can’t express how excited I am for your cook book. Can.Freaking.Not. BUT! I can make blog recipes like this doozie in the meantime. Hurray!

Joanne — August 18, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

I definitely reminisce over strawberry milk often but never let myself buy it because of the calorie content. Totally making this!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — August 18, 2012 @ 5:09 pm

Strawberry milks reminds me of being a kid too! My Mom never let us have flavored milk (chocolate or strawberry) but my Dad did. It was always a special treat!

Nutmeg Nanny — August 19, 2012 @ 12:42 am

Delicious! Refreshing and perfect for summer!

Sues — August 19, 2012 @ 10:00 am

Pretty and delicious! And so funny because when we were at the grocery store this week, my husband picked up a container of Strawberry Quik and I told him to put it down because we could make a much better one at home! And you proved me right :)

Lori @ RecipeGirl — August 20, 2012 @ 8:33 pm

Since I’ve been known to sneak some of that really bad-for-you Strawberry Milk in the cold case, I could totally get into a healthier, homemade version!

leslie — August 20, 2012 @ 9:30 pm

I bet this milk is WAAAYYYYYYYYYY better the the store bought junk!!!!

Rachel Cooks — August 21, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Love how frothy and delicious this looks!

katie — August 21, 2012 @ 12:07 pm

Love the idea of making your own strawberry milk!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 21, 2012 @ 8:14 pm

I am in love with this idea! I buy the powdered stuff to make strawberry milk, but this is so much better!

Melissa — September 6, 2012 @ 1:00 am

My 6 yo daughter just asked me tonight at the grocery if I would buy her strawberry milk. I told her no, but may surprise her in the morning with this! Imagine a sweet suprised little girl. She will love it! Thx!

Trice — November 14, 2012 @ 2:21 pm

This sounds like perfection!

Erin — February 13, 2013 @ 3:57 am

Thanks! I have the syrup thickening on the stove top right now. This reminds me of what I’ve done to make raspberry coulis for my cheesecakes. Glad you shared it.

Homemade Strawberry Milk | Shimmers, Stews and Streets — May 29, 2013 @ 7:48 pm

[…] This was why I started looking for a quick and easy recipe for strawberry milk that doesn’t require too many ingredients or fancy kitchen gadgets. It lets you enjoy the wonderful flavor without setting a deadline for you to finish a pound of fruit and is makes for a great solution if you end up with a batch of tart strawberries. My search for the recipe ended here. […]

Homemade Strawberry Milk | The Salty Kitchen — September 3, 2013 @ 10:16 am