Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes*

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes via www.thenovicechefblog.com

They say that the cupcake craze is over. I don’t know who “they” are, but I don’t agree. Sure there are new things that are trendy right now, however cupcakes will always be adorably sized…and perfect for sharing! Plus, getting to use different colored/themed wrappers is a lot of fun.

I know the people at Jorge’s office wouldn’t be diving into a half eaten layered cake…but when I send in cupcakes they have no idea that half of them have already been inhaled! ;)

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes via www.thenovicechefblog.com

This cupcake flavor combination has been floating around in my head for a couple of years now. One of my favorite treats is a steaming cup of Mexican Hot Chocolate. I love the spicy chocolate and the delicious whipped cream on top.

In cupcake form, that translated into a rich dark chocolate cupcake and vanilla whipped cream that are both spiced with hints of cinnamon and spicy cayenne pepper. In one word, this cupcake is Divine.

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes via www.thenovicechefblog.com

I developed this recipe for Dixie Crystals, so head on over to check out the recipe!

16 Responses to “Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes”

Joy — December 17, 2012 @ 12:45 am

The cupcakes looks so good.

Manderley — December 17, 2012 @ 2:23 am

Waoooo so yummy!!

Blog is the New Black — December 17, 2012 @ 7:43 am

These look WONDERFUL!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — December 17, 2012 @ 9:37 am

I think it’s funny ‘they’ talk about it being a craze in the first place. Cupcakes will always and forever be loved.

raquel from Florida — December 17, 2012 @ 9:50 am

Jessica congratulations!! I can see you are no longer a novice chef, good for you!!!!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — December 17, 2012 @ 11:37 am

I love the combo of spicy and sweet. Last year I made a cayenne and dark chocolate cookie. My husband hated it, I LOVED it! Looks like I will be baking up a batch of these for myself!

Pam Fong — December 17, 2012 @ 9:00 pm

these look and sound delicious, you’re amazing!! can’t wait to try it out myself, thank you for sharing!!

Joanne — December 17, 2012 @ 9:22 pm

Cupcakes will never go out of style in my heart! Love these!

Eva Taylor — December 18, 2012 @ 2:20 pm

I love a spiced chocolate recipe, warm with cinnamon and cayenne. And the whipped cream is wonderful to top it off.

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — December 18, 2012 @ 8:17 pm

Yeah, “they” also said we’d have floating cars by now. Pshh cupcakes will be here forever! and I’m glad after seeing these Latin beauties..

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — December 19, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

I love adding heat to chocolate!! These look amazing!

Jess @ Feast with Me — December 20, 2012 @ 11:24 am

Omg these are so adorable! And I love how I don’t have to try and cram them in before Christmas – this is a delicious cupcake for all winter long :D yum!

ErinsFoodFiles — December 21, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

yum yum yum yum

PS. I’m kind of mad you didn’t rig your giveaway so that I would win the Nespresso maker. What kind of friend ARE you!? ;)

Honey What's Cooking — December 27, 2012 @ 12:19 am

wow this recipe looks awesome.
    very nice job, never thought of making a mexican hot chocolate into a cupcake. brilliant.

Fifty Cinco de Mayo Recipes | Burnt Apple — May 3, 2013 @ 6:05 am

[…] Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes by The Novice Chef […]

Vanessa — May 4, 2013 @ 3:31 pm

I am making these today for Cinco De Mayo. I used my own chocolate cake recipe, but am adding the same spices and using the same frosting you made. I cannot wait to taste them!!! :)