Texas Cheese Fries*

Texas Cheese Fries from www.thenovicechefblog.com

I woke up today with all these good intentions. Sure, I ate pounds of buttery grits and pancakes bigger than my head this weekend in Charleston. But today is Monday — the start of a new week — and I was determined to make it a week of smart choices. I had a green smoothie (which was actually brown again because I used too many raspberries and strawberries) and even added a scoop of flax seed. I ran my errands, answered emails and then hit up the gym.

I’m watching season two of One Tree Hill on my iPhone (thank god for Netflix – it makes the gym bearable) and climbing imaginary hills on the elliptical, when this red headed chick climbs on next to me. She is talking to her friend next to her and for every 5 minutes they go, they discuss something that they won’t be eating this week. No seriously, that is how they were passing the time at the gym.

Red Head: I am working my ass off here instead of eating that pint of caramel pecan ice cream with an extra drizzle of caramel on top that I was dreaming about last night.

Red Head’s Friend: I am enjoying sweating instead of eating those Texas Cheese Fries from Blue Moon. And while they are cheese-y and bacon-y, this is so much better.

Texas Cheese Fries from www.thenovicechefblog.com

I don’t know who lied to them, but sweating and working out is not better than Ice Cream or Cheese Fries. It’s just not. Sure it’s better for you, but let’s not lie and pretend like you are enjoying working out more than eating those items. If that were true, this blog wouldn’t be very successful.

Eventually my 30 minutes was up and I left. I came home and pulled out the bag of Alexia fries I keep in the freezer and made my easy version of Texas Cheese Fries. I didn’t add sour cream and I went easy on the bacon and cheese…but they were still so good and totally hit the spot.

Also, I officially hate those two girls at the gym and will be avoiding them at all costs from now on. I did have a salad for dinner, so that cancels out the fries, bacon and cheese…right? :)

Texas Cheese Fries

Yield: serves 4-6

Recipe Note: Some people like to dip these in Sour Cream (or they toss some sour cream on top). As much as I love Sour Cream, I was trying to save a few calories. ;-)

1 bag Alexia House Cut Fries
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 pieces cooked thick cut bacon, crumbled
green onions, minced
fresh ground black pepper, to taste

Bake Alexia Fries according to directions.

Remove fries from oven once crispy. Turn the oven to broil and move one of the oven racks to the top. Top fries with cheddar cheese, bacon, green onions and pepper.

Return to oven and let cheese melt. Watch closely, this will happen in a minute or two.

Remove from oven and serve immediately!

**disclaimer: this post is not paid for by Alexia, I just love their products!!**

40 Responses to “Texas Cheese Fries”

Stephanie @Steph Loves Cake — January 15, 2013 @ 4:51 am

Thanks for a great laugh! There is no exercise on this planet as good as cheese fries or cake batter ice cream, let’s face it. However everything in moderation I say, and the fries look awesome, I am going to try a homemade ww friendly version this weekend. :)

Kelsey @aslolife — January 15, 2013 @ 6:44 am

Salad definitely cancels out fries-I’m glad I’m not the only one craving things like this even though its the new year and were not supposed to be eating it. Really, how can you resist–they look fabulous!

DessertForTwo — January 15, 2013 @ 7:59 am

Do not apologize for these fries! Only apologize for not bringing them into my life sooner! :)

Bev @ Bev Cooks — January 15, 2013 @ 9:23 am

I’ll take these cheese fries over working out ANY DAY. Dayum they’re pretty.

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — January 15, 2013 @ 9:24 am

“Sweating and working out is not better than Ice Cream or Cheese Fries”… truer words were never spoken. :) These fries, UGH. SO. DELICIOUS. LOOKING.

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — January 15, 2013 @ 9:52 am

AHAHAH you crack me up. These fries are so worth an extra 30 minutes at the gym!

Diana @ Sweet y Salado — January 15, 2013 @ 10:01 am

I bump into those kind of people every once in a while and I’ve come to this conclusion. They’re either lying to me on how much they just LOVE to work out and not eat or they’re lying to themselves. Either way, they’re lying. And please, how can you pass up on a plate full of Texas cheese fries??

Joanne @ Fifteen Spatulas — January 15, 2013 @ 10:12 am

OH MY GAWD. These look amazing. And I agree…”nothing tastes as good as skinny feels” is a lie/those people have never eaten anything good.

Tina | My Life as a Mrs — January 15, 2013 @ 11:15 am

ummm you had me wanting cheese fries for breakfast… thanks. ;)

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — January 15, 2013 @ 11:35 am

Seriously those are some real deal fries. I need to have them right away because the pictures are just a bit too enticing!

Steph — January 15, 2013 @ 11:46 am

Look at these!! They need to be added to my superbowl list

Leila — January 15, 2013 @ 12:54 pm

I go to the gym so I CAN eat foods like that. Do I have it backwards?? haha Also…I almost always tune my tv to Food Network while I work out. What does this say about me?

Jessica of My Baking Heart — January 15, 2013 @ 2:11 pm

This is hilarious… especially because as my sister and I were eating oreo & pb Mixes from Braum’s yesterday, she told me that it was okay since we were going to yoga later on. :)

Tracy — January 15, 2013 @ 2:23 pm

You are correct about ice cream and fries. The ones you made look delicious.

Laura — January 15, 2013 @ 2:34 pm

Girrrrllll, oh no you didn’t!

Sara — January 15, 2013 @ 2:34 pm

I love, love, love cheese fries! The major movie theater here has in-movie eating (like it’s set up with little tables and cup holders and waiters deliver food to you during the movie). The loaded cheese fries are almost $9.00, but I can’t help but order them every time!!!

LINDA PAYNE — January 15, 2013 @ 2:39 pm

As Rachel Ray says – It’s girl math, a salad cancels cheese fries everytime

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — January 15, 2013 @ 5:03 pm

Ha ha, I love this story. But it kind of sounds like torture to talk about delicious food while you’re working out, no? Kind of like how I always peruse my favorite food blogs when I’m starving…

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — January 15, 2013 @ 5:11 pm

Those ladies are nuts! Eating is always more fun than working out. While we are at it throw Nachos of any kind into the “things that trump working out” category! I love cheese fries, they are my weakness!

Cookbook Queen — January 15, 2013 @ 5:38 pm

Are you even kidding me with these? Cheese fries are my favorite!!

Working out is my least favorite. Right along with working out while listening to idiots act like working out is fun and better than food.

Joanne — January 15, 2013 @ 8:38 pm

WHat was WITH those girls?!?! Some of us work out just so that we can justify eating that ice cream. Because we’re going to eat it anyway, it’s so good. Am I right?

Mmm cheese fries. I am so grateful I have some Alexia fries in the freezer right now,

Cassie | Bake Your Day — January 15, 2013 @ 10:35 pm

Dang, now I want some cheese fries. These are amazing, girl!

Heidi — January 16, 2013 @ 12:19 am

I just have to say I love you (in a totally uncreepy way). You made me smile on a wicked depressing day. Thanks

Trysha — January 16, 2013 @ 3:45 am

I worked at Outback Steakhouse in college and I can promise that the cheese fries contributed their fair share to my freshman fifteen.

Oh yes…and smother them with ranch.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 16, 2013 @ 9:22 am

It’s kind of hilarious in a strange way and maybe you shouldn’t avoid them in the future… they might give you more ideas for delicious and easy recipes :)

shelly (cookies and cups) — January 16, 2013 @ 10:51 am

Cheese fries are heaven.

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — January 16, 2013 @ 11:14 am

These fries. oooh my goodness.

Sues — January 16, 2013 @ 12:49 pm

I love that this dish was inspired by two girls’ silly gym convo. If they only knew!! :) You win- you worked out AND got the cheese fries! They look fabulous!

Nikki @Pennies on a Platter — January 16, 2013 @ 4:47 pm

I’ll take these any day over working out!!

Karly — January 17, 2013 @ 12:04 pm

I would have punched those girls in the junk. No lie.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — January 17, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

These cheese fries are distracting me from bill paying and I love you for that! I know what we are having for lunch now!

99 Days to go! « A Tasty Life — January 18, 2013 @ 7:47 am

[…] Favorite Splurge:  Last week it was Ohio, this week it’s all about Texas Fries. […]

The Novice Chef » Upscale Party Food for Super Bowl 2013 — January 18, 2013 @ 2:13 pm

[…] Texas Cheese Fries […]

Elizabeth @ The Collegiate Baker — January 18, 2013 @ 2:56 pm

I had some of these at a restaurant the other night for the first time and loved them. I can’t want to make them for myself now! :)

Katie from Katie's Cucina — February 2, 2013 @ 8:23 pm

These look so good!!!!

ROR — February 12, 2013 @ 11:27 am

Hahaha, excellent post, made me laugh! And hungry, of course. Pinning and making ASAP!

Connie — July 2, 2013 @ 10:01 pm

Just had a link to this cross my FB feed. Now, I’m craving cheese fries. For those wanting sour cream with less guilt, try plain nonfat yogurt. The taste is about the same, but the calories/fat are less. If you go with plain nonfat Greek yogurt, you get extra protein too.

Huuuummmm… | Centro de Idiomas Good Spell — July 8, 2013 @ 6:45 pm

[…] http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2013/01/texas-cheese-fries/ […]

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — July 14, 2013 @ 7:03 pm

I am 100% making cheese fries this week! These look so good right now… PS. Your post made me laugh, thanks!

Joann — August 28, 2013 @ 12:07 am

I make these a lot and I also make a dip for them; take Ranch Salad Dressing (in the bottle) and add some chopped up Jalapenos and some the juice depending on how Hot you like it. We like it kinda hot. Mix well in a bowl and put in fridge to let it merry, the longer it sits the better. Enjoy!!!