Red Velvet Truffles*

Red Velvet Truffles from www.thenovicechefblog.com

This year I will be spending Valentine’s Day all alone…well, not totally alone. I plan on hanging out with a bottle of wine and some kind of sugary box of chocolates I pick out for myself. I will also probably watch Sweet Home Alabama about 3 times (while reciting all the lines back at the screen…with a heavier accent for each glass of wine I drink) and then fall asleep on the couch around 9pm.

red velvet cake pops

If you are thinking of putting me on suicide watch, please don’t worry — I am actually looking forward to my plans. Sweet Home Alabama is one of my favorite all time movies, Wine is awesome, and Chocolate is pretty much Wine’s best friend. It’s going to be an awesome Valentine’s Day.

Jorge will be out of town for work that week, so I figured what better way to celebrate? But I really am sad that we won’t get to do our traditional V-day stealth Target shopping trip together. Maybe we can do it on Friday when he gets back…and hey, then everything will be 75% off! Yay, for more candy!

You all know that while Jorge and I don’t celebrate V-day in the traditional way, I do love sweet treats that are V-day inspired. For example, last year we had those Marbled Red Velvet Cheesecake Bites and the Strawberry Nutella Poptarts…both featuring pretty red hearts of some kind. What can I say, I may not love V-day…but I do love all the pink, red & white girly stuff that is associated with it.

red velvet cake pops recipe

So for this Valentine’s Day, I didn’t want to disappoint you guys and not provide something overly sweet. Because let’s be honest, Valentine’s Day is the first time since Christmas that it is perfectly acceptable (and expected) for us to pig out on Sugar. Thank god for the holidays! ;)

Head on over to Dixie Crystals to check out these Red Velvet Truffles that I developed for them! These little darlings take a few steps to make, but really are not difficult. Plus, if you have kids, I am sure they would have a blast getting to crumble up the cake and sprinkle on the little hearts…I know I did!

42 Responses to “Red Velvet Truffles”

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — February 5, 2013 @ 1:08 am

I know my kids would sprinkle like, 1 sprinkle and lick the fingers for the rest :) These look great and so moist!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — February 5, 2013 @ 1:47 am

Your V-Day plans sound pretty good to me! Especially if these truffles are involved!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — February 5, 2013 @ 4:05 am

Wine and candy alone actually sounds pretty awesome. No one needing you, no one bothering you. I love those kind of couch nights …they just rarely happen for me! And gorgeous truffles, of course.

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — February 5, 2013 @ 9:31 am

Yum!!! These look amazing! :-)

And that sounds like a wonderfully relaxing night ahead!

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — February 5, 2013 @ 9:37 am

these look delightful! I love that you roll them by hand rather than need a special cake-pop tray – makes these babies a lot more attainable!

delicious :)

Hope @ Hanna Bananas Boutique — February 5, 2013 @ 9:56 am

I love your idea for V-day!! We never do the traditional thing either! Too much trouble!! Sweet Alabama is also one of my all time favs!! Love that movie!! Gorgeous Truffles!! My daughter would love making these!! :)

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — February 5, 2013 @ 10:40 am

Girl, you and me are doing the SAME thing on Valentine’s Day (my hubs is working that night). I’m definitely making these truffles as my date for that day! :)

Diana @ Sweet y Salado — February 5, 2013 @ 12:09 pm

OK, the beginning of this blog entry totally reminded me of Bridget Jones, that was hilarious. And chocolate and wine? Best combo ever! Too bad my husband doesn’t like chocolate, you know, because he’s a freak. Oh! But give him a box of stale doughnuts from Walmart and he’s all over that.

Meghan {For the Love of Dessert} — February 5, 2013 @ 12:46 pm

“Look at you, you have a baby… in a bar.” <3 Have fun girl!

Sweet sprinkles!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — February 5, 2013 @ 2:11 pm

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend Valentine’s Day! I’m going to make myself a chocolate cake and see how much of it I can eat!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — February 5, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

I want to celebrate with a plate full of truffles.

Megan — February 5, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

These make me smile with unequivocal joy. And I too will be joining you with a glass (or bottle, why lie) of wine. Ben will inevitably blame his nursing school studying or homework as a way to get out of any forced romanticism. He’s such a sweetie. haha Poor guy, I make such fun of him.

angela @ another bite please — February 5, 2013 @ 8:21 pm

i love love truffles…these look so adorably fun for valentines day!

Joanne — February 5, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

I, for one, LOVE the sound of your V-Day plans! And also – these truffles. Want.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — February 5, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

These sound so lovely! Great recipe Jess!

DessertForTwo — February 5, 2013 @ 9:43 pm

Your Texas accent gets stronger the more you drink?! Me too. It’s kinda embarrassing.

These truffles are perfect. I wish someone would make them for me for V Day…

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — February 6, 2013 @ 2:13 am

Just read about your Valentine’s Day tradition and I love it! What fun! I know my man would totally add in some of his favorite candy to his purchase (Dots, ewww) but as long as he had chocolate and sour patch watermelon I wouldn’t mind! LOL!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — February 6, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

I made a similar batch just recently – totally addictive! Yours look perfect!

Kristin — February 8, 2013 @ 2:13 pm

I love the look of these truffles! Would a box cake mix work, too?! Thanks!

• Jessica replied: — February 9th, 2013 @ 11:27 am

Yes you could use boxed cake mix instead!

10 Valentine’s Day Recipes | Hunting for the Very Best — February 11, 2013 @ 9:39 am

[…] 10.  Red velvet truffles from The Novice Chef […]

CD — February 11, 2013 @ 5:15 pm

The recipe isn’t showing up on the Dixie site. The link sends me to their home page. Would you be able to post it here?

Thanks :)

• Jessica replied: — February 11th, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

They were having issues, but the link is working just fine now! Hope you enjoy them! :)

Fat Tuesday V-Day Desserts! » — February 12, 2013 @ 1:08 am

[…]  We all LOVE truffles! […]

Jody — February 12, 2013 @ 3:52 pm

I just made the cake part and it didn’t really rise that much-not as much as a box cake. Is that right? I did use the soda. Hmmm?

• Jessica replied: — February 12th, 2013 @ 9:01 pm

It should have risen a lithe, but it’s not a super tall cake. It’s moist, not fluffy. Which is what you want for a cake ball. ;-)

• Jessica replied: — February 12th, 2013 @ 9:01 pm

Oops, that was supposed to say little, not lithe. Thanks autocorrect haha!

Steffany — February 13, 2013 @ 8:33 am

Ooooh I wonder if you could do something like this using the leftover scraps from your red velvet marbled brownies .. hmmm. Though I do like your milkshake idea too (; Thanks for responding yesterday, I knew something was wrong when I read 6 cups of flour on the other site !! I am going to try to make them probably tomorrow or Friday and let you know how mine turn out ! I am sure I will have fabulous results like everyone else. I am spending Valentine’s Day alone too but that is because the boyfriend is traveling. He comes home Saturday. Maybe I’ll try to save him some of the treats (;

sip — February 14, 2013 @ 11:22 am

i made these last night and they are F A B U L O U S. my Valentine better hope that his flight home tonight is not delayed…i’ve already popped two this morning. just sayin’.

• Jessica replied: — February 18th, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

Haha! So glad they turned out delicious! ;-)

Marcie@FlavortheMoments — February 14, 2013 @ 3:37 pm

I’m so sorry I didn’t see these in time to make for Valentine’s Day…they’re so darling, and I love anything red velvet! I did make red velvet brownies, but these are so pop-able! I’m glad I found your site. The only problem is there isn’t enough time in the day to make everything I want to make here!

M — February 20, 2013 @ 9:50 am

Made these as cake pops for v-day. They were great! :)

50 Homemade Candy Recipes for Easter - Henry Happened — March 21, 2013 @ 12:50 pm

[…] | 21. How To Make Marshmallow Bunny Pop – Cute Food For Kids | 22. Red Velvet Truffles – The Novice Chef | 23. Earl Grey Salted Caramels – Oh, How Civilized | 24. Buckeyes – Dash Recipes | 25. […]

Lucy — August 2, 2013 @ 7:46 pm

These look so good!

50 Homemade Easter Candy Recipes — November 4, 2013 @ 6:31 am

zahra — December 11, 2013 @ 6:03 am

is it ok to make these ahead of time and freeze?

• Jessica replied: — December 20th, 2013 @ 5:43 pm

I have never frozen these truffles, so I do not know. Sorry!

The Novice Chef » Top 10 Recipes of 2013! — December 30, 2013 @ 11:56 am

[…] Red Velvet Truffles – These little bites are made from red velvet cake and cream cheese icing rolled together and then dipped in white chocolate. They have a bunch of steps, but are actually easy to make!  […]

ChefMemes.com — January 4, 2014 @ 12:42 am

Hi,
    I thought this might be a good place to share a site with a lot of chef memes that are pretty funny. Maybe your community of readers might enjoy them.

The site is http://www.ChefMemes.com

34 Valentine Dessert Recipes & Ideas — January 12, 2014 @ 11:45 am

[…] Red Velvet Truffles source @ thenovicechefblog […]

Valentine Heart Sprinkles Recipe Round Up - Love From The Oven — January 26, 2014 @ 11:10 am

[…] Red Velvet Truffles by The Novice Chef […]