Dark Chocolate Guinness Cake with Bailey’s Buttercream*

Dark Chocolate Guinness Cake with Bailey's Buttercream from thenovicechefblog.com

Since moving I have baked 3 cakes and we have only been here two weeks! And somehow, two of the three cakes start with Dark Chocolate. I obviously am not going to be ready for bathing suit season…which in Florida starts like 2 months earlier than everywhere else. But hey, at least I will be ready for St. Patrick’s Day with this Irish themed cake!

I am not really into wearing green, but I am totally down for some Irish themed desserts filled with alcohol. :) This cake is kind of like an Irish Car Bomb, minus the whiskey and with a good dose of sugar added to it. And don’t worry, the alcohol in the cake with cook out…however, the Bailey’s Buttercream will have a small level of alcohol in it. But isn’t that what St. Patricks Day is all about?!

If you really wanted to take this cake to another level, you could make a Jameson Whiskey glaze to drizzle on top! Just melt 4 tablespoons butter in the microwave and then whisk in 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons Jameson Whiskey and a splash of vanilla extract. Then drizzle away!

But I didn’t feel that this cake needed anything extra, so I skipped my original plan for a whiskey glaze. It’s perfect just as it is with a deep chocolate flavor and creamy Bailey’s Irish Cream frosting! If you are serving a large group of people — or just really love cake — this recipe is easily doubled to make a two tiered cake. Just slather some buttercream in between the two chocolate cake layers and then pipe your frosting on top. And viola, you have a super impressive two tiered cake!

Head on over to Dixie Crystals to check out this Dark Chocolate Guinness Cake with Bailey’s Buttercream that I developed for them! If you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day…I promise this is a lot more fun than going around pinching everybody.

39 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Guinness Cake with Bailey’s Buttercream”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 13, 2013 @ 2:45 am

I made a cake before Xmas with Baileys Buttercream and have a Baileys post coming…but your cake truly takes the cake! It’s beautiful, Jessica! The flavors and the piping and the chocolate and …Baileys!

Stephanie — March 13, 2013 @ 8:02 am

OOoo I made a Chocolate Guinness cake (http://riversidebaking.com/2011/09/20/nigellas-chocolate-guinness-cake/) but I would never have thought of bailey frosting! Firstly, this is a great excuse for me to make it again and secondly, a great excuse for me to buy a bottle of baileys! I love your piping it looks truly beautiful x

Sues — March 13, 2013 @ 8:08 am

I fully get behind Irish themed recipes filled with alcohol. And this one looks fabulous! Love the pretty frosting, too :)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — March 13, 2013 @ 9:41 am

Oooh I need a slice pronto.

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — March 13, 2013 @ 9:49 am

Boozy cake with dark chocolate in it? MY STARS.

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — March 13, 2013 @ 9:56 am

Yes yes yes! Love Guinness chocolate cakes, and that buttercream sounds heavenly!! :)

Traci — March 13, 2013 @ 10:29 am

This looks so good. I have been on a huge chocolate kick lately. This looks delicious!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — March 13, 2013 @ 11:20 am

This looks so delicious, Jessica! What an awesome St. Patty’s Day recipe using my hubby’s favorite beer! Thanks for sharing.

Diana @ Sweet y Salado — March 13, 2013 @ 12:56 pm

I love cakes with any kind of alcohol, not necessarily for the alcohol content but because it really enhances the flavor. Favorite? Rum, of course. Now, I need to try this Bailey’s butter cream. Foh sho!

Marcie@FlavortheMoments — March 13, 2013 @ 1:27 pm

I’ve never tried a Guinness cake, but I’m dying to. Love how you piped the buttercream so beautifully on top!

Joanne — March 13, 2013 @ 1:53 pm

I love your frosting job with this cake! And bathing suits are overrated anyway. I’d much rather be prepared for St. patty’s day year round!

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — March 13, 2013 @ 2:35 pm

Let’s booze it up..and add some butter cream to line the stomach!! Great looking dessert!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — March 13, 2013 @ 11:07 pm

Anything that begins with dark chocolate is perfect in my book. This also includes anything involving Bailey’s. In other words, I love this.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — March 13, 2013 @ 11:46 pm

“Hey Girl, I’ll stare longingly at your cakes all day” Ryan Gosling. Somehow I think this needs to be a meme.

Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste — March 14, 2013 @ 9:10 am

Holy cannoli…. there are (almost) no words for this beautiful marriage of chocolate and beer … and Bailey’s. Heavenly!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — March 14, 2013 @ 10:22 am

Umm…YES! Love this idea Jess. That frosting speaks to me.

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — March 14, 2013 @ 2:20 pm

It’s the grown-up version of a carbomb cupcake! Hehe, awesome!

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — March 14, 2013 @ 6:59 pm

Dark rich chocolate with beer?! How can you go wrong? And while the glaze sounds heavenly, I’m a frosting gal myself.

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — March 15, 2013 @ 11:05 am

Whoa…. this is my craving of the day!

Carol | a cup of mascarpone — March 15, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

This cake looks incredible…would seriously love a slice or three right now. OMG…I may have to go bake it!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — March 15, 2013 @ 9:17 pm

Oh gosh. WANT. Anything with the words “dark chocolate” in the title is a win in my books.

http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2013/03/dark-chocolate-guinness-cake-with-baileys-buttercream/ | Adam Paul Green — March 16, 2013 @ 12:09 pm

[…] This entry was posted in APB by Adam Green. Bookmark the permalink. […]

Linda Warren — March 16, 2013 @ 12:16 pm

Hey there! I nominated your blog for a Liebster Award! Check out my blog for more information! http://www.shecooks-hecooks.com/2013/03/16/liebster-award-nomination/

Kristina — March 17, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

When you made this how deep was your cake pan? I used an 8 inch but mine ended up overflowing in the oven.

• Jessica replied: — March 18th, 2013 @ 8:27 pm

My cake pan is about 2 1/2 inches deep. A few people below made it with great success – how deep was your pan?

Audrey — March 17, 2013 @ 10:47 pm

Wow… Made this tonight and it was perfect; moist and with a wonderful deep chocolate flavor. My husband doesn’t like chocolate cake but he said this may beat his favorite of white cake with white frosting. Thank you for another amazing recipe!

• Jessica replied: — March 18th, 2013 @ 8:26 pm

A non chocolate cake lover that actually loved the cake? Now that is awesome! :-)

Vicki — March 18, 2013 @ 7:52 am

I made this Wednesday (same day you posted)…actually doubled it and gave my aunt and uncle one for their 20th wedding anniversary…Hands down, the best chocolate cake I have ever made! I’m making it tomorrow for card club, but the Dixie Crystals site is down! Is this posted somewhere else?

• Jessica replied: — March 18th, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

Wow! Thanks Vicki! I am so happy to here it! :)

And no, since I developed the recipe for Dixie Crystals – the recipe is only posted on their site. However the website is back up and running!

Kristin — March 18, 2013 @ 4:28 pm

You had me at Guinness! YUM!

Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs — March 18, 2013 @ 8:50 pm

Jessica, this looks awesome! I tried to make dark chocolate guinness cookies and they totally failed, because they became so bready- so a cake would be perfect. Thanks for the recipe!

Kristina — March 18, 2013 @ 9:09 pm

Jessica, sorry I can’t figure out how to directly reply, I just checked, and pan was 1.5 inches deep. It’s a Wilton but was cheap, now I know why! I can’t wait to get a new one. BTW I was able to save most of the batter and cooked it on a pan on the stove. Best tasting cake ever!! Ate the cake blobs with ice cream and it was so yummy!

Sam — March 18, 2013 @ 9:45 pm

Oh my gosh! I made this for St. Patrick’s Day and I just can’t say enough! Absolutely DIVINE! I’ll definitely be making it again!!

Nutmeg Nanny — March 19, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

The photos are beautiful. This is an incredible recipe that I’m dying to try!

dennis — March 20, 2013 @ 9:41 pm

Gotta love it. Beer and Baileys with dessert. My wife an I definitely need to try this cake.

Karissa — May 21, 2013 @ 6:17 pm

May I ask where you purchased the Bailey’s? I can’t find it anywhere!

• Jessica replied: — May 22nd, 2013 @ 6:04 pm

You can find it at any liquor store!

Dark Chocolate Guinness Cake with Bailey’s Buttercream — September 29, 2013 @ 7:29 pm

[…] For recipe visit:   thenovicechefblog.com […]

birthday cake | 3 Polka Dots3 Polka Dots — November 11, 2013 @ 3:44 pm

[…] Chocolate Guinness Cake with Baileys Buttercream by The Novice Chef – via […]