Meltaway Lemon Cookies*

Meltaway Lemon Cookies from thenovicechefblog.com

I woke up in a grouchy mood and I couldn’t shake it off. Coffee, a joking husband and a brisk walk around the block couldn’t cure it. Laying on the couch and hiding under the covers didn’t work…and doing some online shopping (helllooo new dresses!) didn’t help. I was just in a funk.

I finally picked myself up and went and made lunch and somehow found myself making cookies. There is something about making cookies that makes me feel better. Maybe it’s the automatic mode my brain goes into once the butter goes into the stand mixer. Cookies are ingrained in me and I am so thankful for their bad mood curing abilities.

Meltaway Lemon Cookies from thenovicechefblog.com

These Meltaway Lemon Cookies are so zesty, they could brighten up any day. I absolutely love citrus desserts — so it should be no surprise that I was head over heels in love with these. The seriously soft buttery cookies are perfectly balanced with a burst of lemon! Y’all are going to love these!

Head on over to Dixie Crystals to check out this Meltaway Lemon Cookies that I developed for them!

36 Responses to “Meltaway Lemon Cookies”

Renee @ Awesome on $20 — April 15, 2013 @ 1:10 am

There’s probably some aromatherapy involved in making lemon anything. It’s hard to be grouchy with the scent of lemon in the air. These are very cheery cookies. I can’t wait to try them.

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — April 15, 2013 @ 4:56 am

Same here. If I’m feeling down or grumpy or whatever, baking usually fixes that. But not yeast bread or something fussy. Cookies or brownies or cupcakes (no wait, the frosting is too fussy) will do. :) And lemon cookies are the best! These look like definite happy-makers.

shelly (cookies and cups) — April 15, 2013 @ 9:21 am

Lemon Meltaways are like my second favorite cookie ever…behind chocolate chip, of course…I Adore meltaways!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — April 15, 2013 @ 12:11 pm

Ohh these look great and I adore lemon cookies.

Pam C — April 15, 2013 @ 12:16 pm

Just looking at these gorgeous cookies has brightened my day!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 15, 2013 @ 12:30 pm

Love these gorgeous little meltaways! So summery and perfect for parties!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 15, 2013 @ 12:31 pm

Mmm I love a good lemon cookie. And it’s been too long since I’ve had one! Yum!

Joanne — April 15, 2013 @ 12:50 pm

Somehow churning together butter and sugar always makes me happy…and then eating the finished product as well! Love these melt-in-your-mouth citrusy treats!

MaryAnn — April 15, 2013 @ 2:16 pm

I should have read this first! I woke up and make some gross yucky healthy yam bars that belong in the trash due to no flavor what-so-ever. Should have known better. Now these look amazing…going out to get a few things I don’t have on hand, we’ll just call it round two! :-)

• Jessica replied: — April 16th, 2013 @ 9:16 pm

Haha! I hate when that happens. Cookies beat yam bars every time. ;-)

Katie — April 15, 2013 @ 2:55 pm

oh these cookies look fab! Perfect for spring!

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — April 15, 2013 @ 3:50 pm

Those cookies look seriously delightful!!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — April 15, 2013 @ 4:33 pm

I love lemon desserts. These look amazing!

ErinsFoodFiles — April 15, 2013 @ 5:08 pm

Making cookies sounds like a great way to cheer up. :)

Traci — April 15, 2013 @ 8:15 pm

I was looking for a lemon cookie. I’ve got to make some for the neighbors as a thank you and this is perfect. Thanks for saving me tonight! :)

Julie @ Table for Two — April 15, 2013 @ 8:18 pm

I must make these soon. I love citrus desserts and the meltaways sound like the perfect cookie!

Courtney @ BakeMeBetter — April 15, 2013 @ 8:26 pm

Making cookies always makes me feel better! Or brownies. Or ice cream. Ok. Being in the kitchen always makes me feel better.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — April 15, 2013 @ 11:28 pm

Sometimes a cookie is just what you need. And I could go with about 37. YUM!

Marcie@FlavortheMoments — April 16, 2013 @ 10:29 am

I think lemon cookies can completely brighten anyone’s day! These look so flavorful and fresh!

Nutmeg Nanny — April 16, 2013 @ 11:52 am

Lemon cookies are always the answer to a brighter day :) so sweet and adorable!

Megan @ megbakes — April 16, 2013 @ 12:45 pm

What a gorgeous cookie. I’m sorry you were in a funk, but cookies always seem to do the trick for me, too.

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — April 16, 2013 @ 2:42 pm

Lemon desserts are among my favorites. So zingy and fresh! These cookies sound divine!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — April 16, 2013 @ 10:40 pm

Cookies always put me in a better mood – these look fabulous!
    And new dresses….I need to go shopping!

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — April 17, 2013 @ 1:55 am

Meltaway in my stomach!!! I want these cookies, I’m a big lemon luvva!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — April 17, 2013 @ 10:00 am

Lemon desserts always change my mood. :) Now if only I had some to eat right now… ;)

Morgan — April 19, 2013 @ 2:56 am

Was planning on make lemon cookies tomorrow, and thought of adapting your almond cookies to do so, now I don’t have to!

Katherine — April 21, 2013 @ 9:16 pm

I made these thanks to your blog and my family raved over them for a whole week. They are amazing and I am so thankful I stumbled over your recipe!!

• Jessica replied: — April 22nd, 2013 @ 9:45 am

So happy to hear it Katherine! :-)

Jessica — April 22, 2013 @ 8:46 am

Does it matter if I use regular granulated sugar instead of extra fine? I’m planning on making these for a work party this Wednesday! They look so yummy!

• Jessica replied: — April 22nd, 2013 @ 9:45 am

Oh ya, regular granulated sugar will work just fine! :-)

AthenaTheGreek — April 25, 2013 @ 3:45 pm

Hello everybody!!I made the cookies here in greece where i live.They were great.Thank you for the lovely recipes you ve got.I really like your blog Jessica!!!Many kisses from crete island.

• Jessica replied: — May 22nd, 2013 @ 5:56 pm

So glad y’all liked them! And whoa! You live in my dream vacation!

Keiko — May 22, 2013 @ 3:51 pm

I made these cookies last night for a luncheon at work, and everyone in the office loved them! When I tasted the icing by itself, I thought it was too lemony, but it is actually perfect with the cookies. Also, it’s such an easy and quick recipe, that I will be making these frequently!

No wonder you made these to brighten your day… I am definitely smiling after the 4 cookies I just demolished…. :)

• Jessica replied: — May 22nd, 2013 @ 5:56 pm

Yay! Glad you liked them! And yes, I agree – it’s super lemony…but perfect for the cookies!

Lemon Sugar Cookies | Jen's Favorite Cookies | Recipes & Photos - Part 1 — June 13, 2013 @ 7:01 am

[...] Lavender Shortbread from Pastry Affair Glazed Lemon Cookies from Cooking Classy Meltaway Lemon Cookies from The Novice [...]

Dana N — July 3, 2013 @ 1:25 pm

Hi Jessica;
    I made these cookies for a BBQ on Monday, and they were a massive hit – and since they were so easy to whip up, I made a second batch last night to bring in to the office today. Again, they are a hit! One of my friends was telling everyone they had to flip the cookie and eat it upside down – and wow, the lemon icing hits your tongue first and gives you that zing. Love it!

I mentioned your cookies (with credit given) on my blog. Thank for this recipe, it is definitely a keeper!