Dark Chocolate Magic Shell*

DIY Dark Chocolate Magic Shell using just two ingredients! via thenovicechefblog.com

One of my favorite things in the world is an ice cream cone from Dairy Queen. I have even been known to be talked into raking an entire yard for the price of 1 Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cone — Thanks Mom.

Sometimes when I am feeling extra special, I will get them to make it chocolate dipped.┬áThis week I had that exact craving, but didn’t feel like putting on actual clothes. I wish I was kidding, but sometimes I just can’t make it out of my yoga pants for the day.

Thankfully, I know the ingredients to make your own Magic Shell and I had my favorite Pistachio Ice Cream in the freezer. It was meant to be…and 2 minutes later Jorge and I were sharing a bowl.

Remember when I made the DIY Coconut Sugar Scrub? And you went out and bought some Coconut Oil to make it? Well, now you have something else to do with the rest of it! See…I got your back! ;-)

I love making a big batch of this Magic Shell and keeping it in the fridge for ice cream emergencies. And don’t make that face — ice cream emergencies are a real thing, no matter what Jorge says.

Print Save

DIY Dark Chocolate Magic Shell

Recipe Note: If you notice, the method I use is 1 oz of chocolate to 1 tablespoon coconut oil. This makes it really easy to make a large batch!

3 oz dark chocolate
3 tablespoons coconut oil (measured when hard)

Microwave: In a small bowl, microwave dark chocolate and coconut oil in 30 second intervals, stirring each time, until smooth. It will be runny. Let cool for 1 minute and then pour on top of ice cream and watch it magically harden!

Stove top: In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt dark chocolate and coconut oil - stirring until smooth. Once smooth, remove from heat. It will be runny. Let cool for 1 minute and then pour on top of ice cream and watch it magically harden!

To store: Transfer to a glass jar (I use a mason jar). Store in the refrigerator. When ready to use, heat in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring each time, until smooth again. Use on top of your favorite ice cream and then you can re-refridgerate it again and again!

21 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Magic Shell”

Tieghan — May 29, 2013 @ 11:14 pm

I love magic shell and I LOVE that you used dark chocolate! YUM!

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — May 30, 2013 @ 1:30 am

Looks crazyyy good! My kids swear by Baskin Robbins, should we be hittin’ up DQ?

Kristi — May 30, 2013 @ 7:09 am

I was just talking to my sister how good magic shell was, especially when we were growing up. Now I would be guilty of how bad it is for you. I’m definitely going to try making it at home.. no more guilt!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — May 30, 2013 @ 8:16 am

I made this for the first time two weeks ago in honor of the fact that I made homemade ice cream for the first time in my life. It was so good it was almost dangerous!!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — May 30, 2013 @ 10:24 am

I love DQ blizzards. They are simply amazing. Love magic shell chocolate.

Joanne — May 30, 2013 @ 11:02 am

I was just talking up homemade magic shell to the boyfriend the other day! I really need to get some of this (and some pistachio ice cream – one of my favorite flavors!) into my life.

Doug Rice — May 30, 2013 @ 11:04 am

Great tip! Thanks for sharing! Gotta be one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever seen!

Marcie@FlavortheMoments — May 30, 2013 @ 11:09 am

This looks amazing and simple! I love it.

Tina | My Life as a Mrs — May 30, 2013 @ 11:19 am

I always have an overload of coconut oil since Mike’s company sells it – WHY THE HECK HAVE I NOT MADE THIS YET?!?!?! fixing problem now ;)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — May 30, 2013 @ 12:29 pm

I love making magic shells! When I was a kid I really, really, thought they were magic. After being disappointed several times, one evening I left the kitchen and when I came back sprinkles magically appeared on my ice cream!! My grandma was kind of the best. :)

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — May 30, 2013 @ 6:13 pm

Ah, this looks amazing! I even have some homemade ice cream to pour this over. Done!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 31, 2013 @ 10:39 am

It must be a chocolate shell kinda week! Yours looks fabulous… Must use mine with a minty ice cream. And yes, we totally share the obsession of a Dairy Queen dipped cone!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — May 31, 2013 @ 11:28 am

Ice cream emergencies are a real thing! Must make a large batch of this magic shell to keep on hand!

Traci — May 31, 2013 @ 9:20 pm

We LOVE magic shell in the summer. It’s the best! I really love this dark chocolate version. Have a great weekend, I’m off to make more homemade ice cream (my recent two pound weight gain demise) and I’m including this with it. Delicious!

ErinsFoodFiles — June 4, 2013 @ 10:58 am

I made this a while back, but using milk chocolate, however I didn’t measure anything, or stir it well. So… I ended up with a very coconut flavored, slightly greasy magic shell. Haha. I like your idea of dark chocolate better!! I didn’t know though to store it in the fridge. THANKS!

Alison @ Ingredients, inc. — June 5, 2013 @ 6:37 pm

love! and miss you!

Nutmeg Nanny — June 5, 2013 @ 6:54 pm

Oh, this is so fun and tasty :)

Orange Creamsicle Magic Shell - Rachel Cooks — July 1, 2013 @ 5:30 am

[…] Dark Chocolate Magic Shell from The Novice Chef Peanut Butter Cup Magic Shell from Picky Palate Cookies and Cream Magic Shell from Picky Palate Chocolate Peanut Butter Magic Shell from Chocolate Moosey […]

Barb | Creative Culinary — September 21, 2013 @ 8:04 pm

I’ve been replicating a hard shell product for years that’s called Elmer’s Goldbrick Topping. It’s made with chocolate and butter and pecans. I love it but was wondering about using coconut oil…and my quest has been successful!

I just made bing cherry ice cresm bars and I think they need some chocolate!!

Medha — December 4, 2013 @ 8:31 pm

Wow, this is so much fun and easy plus delicious! I am all for it! I love your blog – such a beautiful place.

Christine (CookTheStory) — December 4, 2013 @ 8:44 pm

I only get out of my yoga pants when absolutely necessary. The kids are going to love this. Thanks Jessica.