Root Beer Float Cupcakes*

Root Beer Float Cupcakes via thenovicechefblog.com

Recipe Development is not always as wonderful as most people imagine it to be. My friends and family probably think I sit around eating cupcakes all day (which not gonna lie, somedays that does happen). But there are days where no recipe will work right, and you find yourself dreading tasting one more failed root beer dessert. That was what happened to me this week.

I knew I was going to do something dessert like with root beer, but I couldn’t decide what. So I tried Root Beer Float Popsicles. MAJOR FAIL. Then I tried a layer cake, but all it tasted like was chocolate – no root beer. Sure it was delicious (hellloooo, it was a chocolate cake — of course it was delicious), but it didn’t taste like rootbeer.

Root Beer Float Cupcakes via thenovicechefblog.com

I moved on to cupcakes. I tried two different batches, with two different brands of root beer. I tried the good stuff and the cheap stuff…and the cupcakes all tasted like chocolate cupcakes with a very slight hint of hidden root beer.

So I eventually found myself at the store buying the one item I hoped I wouldn’t have to buy…Root Beer Concentrate. And guess what, delicious Root Beer Cupcakes with Root Beer Whipped Cream came together in a glorious Root Beer Float Cupcake.

Root Beer Float Cupcakes via thenovicechefblog.com

I did still include a whole 1/2 cup of real root beer in the cupcakes (which leads to a delicious fluffy cake), but the root beer concentrate makes the cupcake. You can find it in the spice section by the other extracts. It’s not expensive and is so worth the final product!

Head on over to Dixie Crystals to check out the recipe for these Root Beer Float Cupcakes that I developed for them!

p.s. Of the 12% of men who read my blog, probably half of you (a whopping 6%) are fathers…so Happy Father’s Day to my favorite 6%! I hope your day is filled with love, steak and desserts. ;-)

27 Responses to “Root Beer Float Cupcakes”

Tieghan — June 13, 2013 @ 10:26 pm

How fun!! These look awesome and so yummy!

Oh and I totally know how you feel about failed recipes! It can be a major bummer, but it is always awesome when you finally get it right!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — June 14, 2013 @ 4:24 am

Oh my gah! How fun and cute are these cupcakes :)

Belinda @themoonblushbaker — June 14, 2013 @ 5:53 am

I had my first taste of root beer a month ago now i can not get enough. I love the cute design

shelly (cookies and cups) — June 14, 2013 @ 8:33 am

Yep, done that..make root beer something and all it tastes like is chocolate. LOVE these and so happy you can taste the root beer! Totally gonna try!

Sues — June 14, 2013 @ 9:51 am

I’ve never bought root beer extract, but if I did, I’d probably drink it out of the bottle. These cupcakes are adorable!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — June 14, 2013 @ 10:29 am

Yay for another successful cupcake recipe. I probably haven’t had a root beer float in about 15+ years. These will hit the spot.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — June 14, 2013 @ 11:29 am

How friggin’ cute are these! You totally just transported me to a little 50′s diner and a poodle skirt, Jess. LOVE ‘em!

Joanne — June 14, 2013 @ 11:56 am

I definitely know the days that you’re talking about…but isn’t it SO worth it when the cupcakes finally turn out in the end?!

Amanda — June 14, 2013 @ 12:49 pm

Oh my goodness. Seriously dying at how cute these root beer float cupcakes are!! Need to try these ASAP :)

Marcie@FlavortheMoments — June 14, 2013 @ 1:49 pm

These are so adorable and would be so fun for summer! Love this idea.

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig — June 14, 2013 @ 5:50 pm

These are totally adorable! And yes, recipe development can be tedious…but mostly fun. Glad it worked out!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — June 14, 2013 @ 5:51 pm

My Dad would totally go bonkers for these! LOVE!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — June 14, 2013 @ 6:09 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaand I want to eat a cupcake that has a stipey straw in it.

Courtney @ BakeMeBetter — June 14, 2013 @ 8:07 pm

So cute!

Robin @ Simply Southern Baking — June 15, 2013 @ 8:00 am

These look awesome. Been there plenty of times with recipes not working out. :)

Renee @ Awesome on $20 — June 15, 2013 @ 8:24 pm

I don’t have any problem with using root beer concentrate, but I wonder what would happen if you tried boiling down the root beer into a syrup before adding it. I’ve never tried it, and you probably have. Just a thought.

Marjory Betchkal — June 15, 2013 @ 10:18 pm

My daughter and I are making these tomorrow for Fathers day. Thanks for the fun idea.

Suzanne — June 17, 2013 @ 4:34 pm

What store did you find the root beer concentrate in? I’ve been trying to make root beer ice cream and ran into the same difficulties. Didn’t want to spend a ton buying a bulk bottle online.

• Jessica replied: — June 19th, 2013 @ 12:08 pm

I found it at Walmart of all places!

Nutmeg Nanny — June 19, 2013 @ 9:46 am

Oh, these are so adorable!! I love this recipe, I bet it tastes like perfection :)

The Novice Chef's Root Beer Float Cupcakes — June 25, 2013 @ 1:27 pm

[...] more about these cupcakes at :  http://www.thenovicechefblog.com and find the recipe at :  [...]

Linda — June 26, 2013 @ 10:11 pm

They look amazing and would go perfectly at a birthday party.

Vanessa — July 16, 2013 @ 3:56 pm

How exactly do you develop a recipe all on your own? How do you know how much flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, liquid to use? I bake A LOT and I really dislike cakes that are not moist so I always look for recipes that use oil and/or sour cream. I see that you use butter and oil in your dream cakes, but I have yet to get to try them. So what is the secret to developing your own unique recipe?

Vanessa — July 18, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

Thank you so much! I may just have to buy it! I would love to come up with my own recipes!

Root Beer Float Cupcakes — September 29, 2013 @ 6:55 pm

[…] For recipe visit:  thenovicechefblog.com […]

Nells — April 28, 2014 @ 4:15 pm

Jessica – I made your Root Beer Cupcakes and your blueberry cake for my son’s 5th birthday party this weekend. They were a hit! Thank you for the many successful recipes I’ve tried from your blog. The Novice Chef has become my go-to website for fear-less cooking.