I am in major big time whoa love with this Caprese Chicken. A few months ago Jorge and I happened to find ourselves in one of those chain Italian restaurants like Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill.
I honestly can’t remember which, but I do know I ordered something called bruschetta chicken. It was good, but could use some improvements.
For starters, I wanted to make it with cherry tomatoes and add some fresh buffalo mozzarella — my favorite. It also had to have fresh basil.
Then to finish it off, I would drizzle on a little bit of my favorite aged balsamic vinegar…but to be fair, I could just drink balsamic vinegar. I use it on my salad almost daily.
With the new additions, it would no longer be called a bruschetta chicken — instead it’s a Caprese Chicken. Either way, who doesn’t love more cheese and balsamic vinegar??
I kept thinking about this recipe idea…but then I used the cherry tomatoes I bought and made some Garlic Roasted Cherry Tomatoes. I have so many tomato recipes I love (like this Panera Creamy Tomato Soup Copycat Recipe), but this Caprese Chicken is probably my absolute favorite. Hands down.
Despite having had this idea in the back of my head, it took me two months to actually make it. That was the dumbest move on my part, because Jorge and I love it so much that we have already made this Caprese Chicken five times!
My favorite side dishes for this are some buttery noodles (with a squeeze of lemon) and possibly some garlic bread if we are feeling extra carby. Of course – the garlic bread makes it much less healthy…but who cares. It’s delicious.
If we are really watching our carbs, I like to make this with mashed cauliflower and a side arugula salad. I hope you enjoy this dish as much as we have over the years!
Caprese Chicken Recipe
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 10 large basil leaves, finely chopped
- 8 oz fresh buffalo mozzarella, sliced in 1/2 inch thick slices
- balsamic vinegar, to taste
- Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken breasts and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken, cover pan, and cook for about 10 minutes. Flip chicken breasts and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked thoroughly (or has reached an internal temp of 165°F).
- Remove chicken and place on a plate and cover with foil. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to sauté pan. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant, scraping up all the little bits of chicken left in the pan.
- Add tomatoes and continue sautéing until tomatoes skin starts to soften/wrinkle, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil and quickly place chicken back in pan. Top each chicken breast with 2 slices of mozzarella.
- Cover pan with lid and let the mozzarella melt, about 1-2 minutes. Drizzle with a splash of balsamic vinegar and serve immediately!