Sweet & Sticky Shrimp*

Sweet & Sticky Shrimp via thenovicechefblog.com

Sometimes we do things for other people that we don’t like…or at least that is what Jorge keeps trying to convince me. ;-) So in good faith, I made him shrimp. I figure if I make him shrimp, he might turn the other way next time there is a shoe sale. It’s a win-win.

Sweet & Sticky Shrimp via thenovicechefblog.com

I wish I liked shrimp. I really, really do. Because those people who like shrimp? They LOVE it. They talk about it like it’s the best dang protein ever and gobble up those little cocktail rings full of pink shrimp. Then they try to push them on everyone else and say “OMGawd, this is the best shrimp EVER. TRY IT.”  I of course turn them down and try to explain that shrimp just isn’t my thing.

Sweet & Sticky Shrimp via thenovicechefblog.com

But Jorge, like most of America, is in the cool club and loves shrimp. So today at the store, shrimp was on sale. I picked some up for that shrimp lovin’ man of mine and boy was he excited. I marinated them in a sauce that my Granny makes and uses on salmon. I changed it up a little bit by adding some lemon zest and cilantro at the end, but I mostly followed her measurements.

Best part about this recipe for me — they are a breeze to prep and you can grill them or broil them.

Best part about this recipe for Jorge — they are delicious & he ate a pound in one sitting. Enough said.

Sweet & Sticky Shrimp

Yield: 1 lb Shrimp

recipe note: Hoisin sauce is found in the Asian section of the grocery store.

1 lb peeled and deveined shrimp
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
1/3 cup honey
juice of 2 Lemons
zest of 1 lemon
kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
chopped cilantro as garnish

In a large bowl, whisk together hoisin sauce, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Toss Shrimp in sauce and allow to marinate (in an airtight bowl, in the fridge) for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.

For the Grill: Heat grill for medium-high heat. Thread shrimp onto skewers, piercing once near the tail and once near the head. Lightly oil grill with non-stick spray. Grill for 6-7 minutes, flipping half way through, until shrimp are cooked through. Top with freshly chopped Cilantro and serve immediately.

For the Oven: Turn on the broiler. Grease a baking sheet so they won't stick (or cover with non-stick aluminum foil for easy cleanup). Spread shrimp in an even layer. Broil for 6-7 minutes, flipping half way through, until shrimp are cooked through. Top with freshly chopped Cilantro and serve immediately.

19 Responses to “Sweet & Sticky Shrimp”

Tieghan — July 23, 2013 @ 1:00 am

YUM!! These look so good. I can totally see why Jorge ate a whole pound in one sitting. Mmm!

Kelsey @aslolife — July 23, 2013 @ 8:58 am

This looks amazing! For some reason, I’ve never liked shrimp at all, but always drool over shrimp recipes…I need to make some soon and hopefully my recipe lusting will translate into actual shrimp love!

Leah | So, How's It Taste? — July 23, 2013 @ 9:25 am

Those look so good! I’m definitely in the obsessed with shrimp camp. They go so well with anything and bonus, low calorie!

Emily {Pink Tiger in the Kitchen} — July 23, 2013 @ 9:30 am

I’m definitely in the love shrimp camp!! I feel like growing up on the Gulf Coast it’s mandated that you like shrimp (and all seafood for that matter!) These sound delicious and a good way to switch things up!!

• Jessica replied: — July 23rd, 2013 @ 11:35 am

…I grew up along the gulf coast, Houston to be exact. And my whole shrimp loving family is from Louisiana. The Shrimp gene must have skipped me! ;-)

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — July 23, 2013 @ 12:00 pm

I love the citrusy sweet flavor of these shrimp – they look delicious! Pass a plate this way!

Amanda — July 23, 2013 @ 12:04 pm

OMG Jess!!!! These look amazing!

Marcie@FlavortheMoments — July 23, 2013 @ 12:32 pm

This looks so delicious and flavorful. I love how quick shrimp dishes are to prepare, so this is a keeper!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — July 23, 2013 @ 2:12 pm

I LOVE shrimp so this here is right up my alley!

raquel from Florida — July 23, 2013 @ 8:18 pm

I loooove shrimp and this dish looks delicious!

Jamie @lifelovelemons — July 23, 2013 @ 11:08 pm

YUM! Always looking for new shrimp recipes!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — July 24, 2013 @ 6:42 pm

hahah Im totally part of the crowd that pushes the shrimp! I cant understand why my husband hates it?! :P This sounds amazing!!

Sarah @ The Woks of Life — July 24, 2013 @ 8:12 pm

This looks sooo good. Awesome for a summer barbecue.

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — July 25, 2013 @ 10:58 am

I’ve been wondering what to do with the shrimp in my freezer! This looks perfect!

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com — July 25, 2013 @ 4:24 pm

Love the look and sound of your shrimp recipe! Thank You!

ErinsFoodFiles — August 7, 2013 @ 8:34 pm

We’ve been in a dinner rut lately, but these look really simple, and perfect to throw on the grill!

Sweet Sticky Shrimp | Recipe ArchiveRecipe Archive — August 9, 2013 @ 3:12 pm

[…] View Recipe Ingredients & Preparation Instructions […]

Sweet Lemon Shrimp | Best Ways — March 11, 2014 @ 4:15 am

[…] Adapted from The Novice Chef […]

louise — July 20, 2014 @ 8:49 pm

LOVE ALL SEAFOOD. THESE SHRIMP NOT ONLY GOOD, BUT WITH AN ASIAN TWIST, I KNOW THEY WILL BE DELICIOUS.

I WILL SERVING THEM UP AT MY NEXT BARBECUE