Almond Date Truffles*

Almond Date Truffles  (recipe on www.thenovicechefblog.com)

Vegan desserts are hard for me. I am a lover of dairy and I don’t care who knows it! If I ever wound up being lactose intolerant, I think y’all would have to commit me to an insane asylum. Butter, Cream and Cheese are the basis of every one of my favorite recipes.

Imagine my surprise when I had a vegan friend asking for more vegan friendly desserts. I bravely said sure — no problem. Then I came home and started thinking about it and remembered how hard vegan desserts really are for me.

What could I make that is naturally a vegan dessert? I really don’t like all the fake stuff people use sometimes…I’m not going to use artificial eggs or faux cream. Just not going to happen. I wanted a recipe that you wouldn’t know it was vegan unless I told you.

Almond Date Truffles  (recipe on www.thenovicechefblog.com)

After a few days of brain storming, I remembered an old recipe I used to make for Date Truffles. I used to add a little cream cheese, but figured I could add a little honey to help hold them together instead…and it worked perfectly! (FYI – Some vegans are ok with honey, some are not. Thankfully my friend is a-ok with Honey…if you are anti-honey, try using corn syrup instead!)

These truffles are a breeze to make in a food processor and only take a few minutes of hands on time. I like them best cold out of the fridge, but they are perfectly fine to sit at room temperature as well. Feel free to use whatever nut you like best, but I think the almonds add just the right touch.

Head on over to Dixie Crystals to check out the recipe for these Almond Date Truffles that I developed for them!

13 Responses to “Almond Date Truffles”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 14, 2013 @ 7:56 am

Mmm this sounds like the perfect snack! Love it!

Cookbook Queen — August 14, 2013 @ 8:05 am

These are beautiful!!!! I struggle with vegan, too…it’s so hard!! I use milk, eggs and cream SO so often.

Tieghan — August 14, 2013 @ 8:33 am

I am the same way with vegan foods. I love dairy, but these look awesome!! Can’t wait to try them out!

Leslee — August 14, 2013 @ 6:11 pm

I have a cookie recipe with a filling similar to the truffles, yummy! I always buy pitted and diced dates. Do you know how many cups 16 dates would equal?

• Jessica replied: — August 19th, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

That’s really hard to guess. I would say that 16 dates would probably equal about a cup of chopped dates.

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — August 15, 2013 @ 10:13 am

These look fantastic! I love low-guilt little treats like this.

Joanne — August 15, 2013 @ 9:08 pm

Mmm those look like larabars but more dessert like! And truffle-y. Always a good thing.

Nutmeg Nanny — August 20, 2013 @ 10:12 pm

Oh goodness, these look incredible! I love dates

Delicious Desserts with Almonds | For Women — September 16, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

[…] Recipe […]

Get Truffle Products from The Truffle Store — March 10, 2014 @ 1:41 am

This looks great! I’ve been looking for a recipe like this. Thanks!

Best Gift Ideas — March 21, 2014 @ 6:51 am

I am missing my Mom right now because she always makes delicious truffles for me. I will suggest my mom to make these almond date truffles for me.

Cooking the Truffles — March 22, 2014 @ 2:22 am

Great!! This looks amazing. I was looking for unique recipes, but now I got idea for this. Thanks.

Quality Food Gifts at Reasonable Prices — March 25, 2014 @ 3:22 am

The Date Truffles are looking fantastic. These type of dishes are the best suitable for small treats.