Nutella Crescents*

Nutella Crescents  (via thenovicechefblog.com)

People are going to show up to your house any minute and you don’t have a single thing to offer them to snack on. Ever been there? Cookies are usually my go to quick treat, but I didn’t have time to wait for my butter to come to room temperature (and I really hate softening butter in the microwave!). So I started looking around to see what I had around…and was really coming up empty handed.

Then I remembered I had pie dough in the fridge. Score! Maybe I could throw together some quick hand pies? But then I realized I had eaten the last of the fresh strawberries. Unless someone wanted an eggplant hand pie, I was out of luck. Then I thought of the holy grail — Nutella.

Nutella Crescents (via thenovicechefblog.com)

Nutella & Pie Crust = Heaven. I realized I only had one 9 inch pie crust — so hand pies were out. {P.S. I was totally depressed not to get to use my adorable little hand pie molds. So now I added hand pies and empanadas to my menu for next week — yay for multi-use tools!} Instead I whipped out my pizza wheel cutter and went to town cutting my pie crust into long triangles.

I slathered each triangle with a ton of Nutella, rolled it up, brushed it with some melted butter, sprinkled it with some coarse sugar, and into the oven they went!

I was so happy with how these turned out that I had to snap a couple of quick photos so I could share them with y’all. I had these cooling on a cookie rack in just under 20 minutes — can’t beat that! Plus, they went absolutely perfect with a glass of cold milk. ;)

Print Save

Nutella Crescents

Yield: 18 crescents

1 9-inch pie dough (store bought or homemade)
1/2 cup Nutella
1 tablespoon butter, melted
coarse sugar

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.

Roll out pie crust into a 9 inch circle (or if it's store bought...open the package and unroll the pie crust) and slice into 18 triangles (like you would a pizza).

Spread each triangle with a healthy amount of Nutella. Roll into a crescent, starting with the wide end. Continue till all triangles are filled with Nutella. Transfer crescents to baking sheet, leaving about an inch for possible spreading.

Brush the top of each Nutella crescent with the melted butter and sprinkle generously with coarse sugar. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, or until they are lightly golden brown.

Remove from oven and serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

40 Responses to “Nutella Crescents”

Cat Davis | Food Family & Finds — August 7, 2013 @ 11:54 pm

Mmmmm simple but brilliant. I love this idea!

Tieghan — August 8, 2013 @ 12:09 am

Nutella crescents! Wow! So amazing and so delicious! Oh an I love the big sprinkle of course sugar!

Mimi @ Culinary Couture — August 8, 2013 @ 3:11 am

BEST quick dessert ever!

simo — August 8, 2013 @ 3:34 am

spettacolari e golosissime!!!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 8, 2013 @ 8:21 am

I could eat these all freaking day!! Loooove!

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — August 8, 2013 @ 9:26 am

I made these last week for my blog – Quick & Easy Chocolate Croissants! Pillsbury crescent rolls + Nestle’s Chocolate Chips = easiest dessert ever! Nutella is a great way to mix it up!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — August 8, 2013 @ 9:57 am

Oh…..oh my. Yes and yes and done and done.

Emily {Pink Tiger in the Kitchen} — August 8, 2013 @ 11:25 am

Um such a genius last minute dessert!! I could a dozen or so right now!!

Kim — August 8, 2013 @ 12:00 pm

Going to make these this weekend to send with my kids to their aunt’s house as a thank you! Yum!

Erin R. — August 8, 2013 @ 12:06 pm

I have those hand pie molds! My husb and I use them to make potsticker dumplings, which always feels vaguely like cheating but they come out perfectly every time. These little nutella treats are genius. I’ll bet they were impossible to stop eating. Well done!

onawa — August 8, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

I thought you didn’t have any melted butter?

• Jessica replied: — August 12th, 2013 @ 2:25 pm

No, I said I did not have any room temperature butter for cookies. It takes butter over an hour to come to room temp, but it takes me 20 seconds to melt butter in my microwave.

Cookbook Queen — August 8, 2013 @ 3:51 pm

Oh my gosh, these are fabulous!!

Renee @ Awesome on $20 — August 8, 2013 @ 4:57 pm

Don’t you just love it when you can stand in your kitchen for a few minutes and solve a problem without leaving the room. These look gorgeous. I’m so glad you thought to share them with us.

Joanne — August 8, 2013 @ 9:59 pm

This was a GENIUS spur of the moment creation! Nutella just makes life so happy.

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — August 9, 2013 @ 5:26 pm

Goodness gracious – these look wonderful! I can almost imagine the crunch of flaky pie crust accompanied by the sweet Nutella. I want to be a last-minute guest at your house!

Mary-Clay @ Cooking with the King — August 12, 2013 @ 1:49 am

Those crescents look gorgeous! Nutella plus pie crust? Delish.

Nutmeg Nanny — August 19, 2013 @ 11:31 pm

Oh now these are drool worthy! I’d love a few right now ;)

Mary — August 26, 2013 @ 1:38 pm

Just a question. I don’t happen to have a pie crust in my freezer, but I have a puff pastry sheet instead, just hangin’ out. Do you think some version could be made with that? Or should I get a pie crust?

• Jessica replied: — August 28th, 2013 @ 4:46 pm

Yes! Puff Pastry would be delicious!!

Wendy — August 30, 2013 @ 7:20 am

Spread Nutella on pie crust before slicing. A lot easier!

Nutella Crescent Rolls | OMG Chocolate Desserts — September 12, 2013 @ 2:02 am

[…] was very popular on the Pinterest and I found it very quickly. Divine Nutella crescent rolls from Novice Chef!  I modified the recipe just a bit and soon the delicious aroma of my sweet little Nutella rolls […]

Christen — September 21, 2013 @ 4:36 pm

Drooled over this picture on Pinterest for two weeks until I cracked! Made them last night. Ridiculously simple and positively divine. My husband and I (almost) devoured them all…clearly, we need to work on moderation. Thank you for a great recipe!

marrisdbleacher — September 21, 2013 @ 11:04 pm

nice indeed,thanks for sharing!

Super Easy Chocolate Croissants — September 29, 2013 @ 10:42 pm

[…] croissants. Seriously – It’s been months. Then, I saw a post on Pinterest about Nutella Croissants and the recipe was SO easy and I thought, “Hey! I could make that only with chocolate!” […]

Katherine W — September 30, 2013 @ 5:24 pm

Add some lingonberry preserves (from IKEA) to the mix and it’s insane.

» friday favorite | nutella crescents. the penny gray photography co. — October 18, 2013 @ 10:37 am

[…] CRESCENTS (adapted from here) yield : 8 […]

Top 10 Satisfying Nutella Recipes - Top Inspired — November 3, 2013 @ 9:37 am

[…] Recipe and Photo credit to thenovicechefblog.com […]

Nutella Recipe | — November 21, 2013 @ 4:14 am

[…] I don’t keep it in the house.  But when I spotted this tasty looking Nutella recipe on The Novice Chef, I knew I had to give it a […]

Researchers Say: Nutella is Good for the Soul | Daryl Bem — December 13, 2013 @ 12:54 am

[…] Not really, but I should propose this study to the IRB.  Despite my extensive and impressive résumé, my wife may have singlehandedly proved that she is, in fact, the smartest person in our household with her amazing recipe for Nutella Crescents. […]

Nutella Treats | Bucket List Recipes — December 19, 2013 @ 4:50 am

[…] The Novice Chef […]

Kerri — January 26, 2014 @ 12:31 am

I second the comment about spreading the Nutella before cutting the pie crust. Makes it way easier.

Rainbow & Unicorn Recipes. Or Simply, Nutella Dessert Recipes | Un - ComplicateUn – Complicate — February 3, 2014 @ 1:41 pm

[…] Recipe & Photo credit to: TheNoviceChefBlog […]

Superbowl Breakfast and Dinner | sevenlayercharlotte — February 3, 2014 @ 10:13 pm

[…] Crescents (recipe found here, I added the colorful […]

20 NUTELLA RECIPES THAT WILL DRIVE YOU CRAZY | SWEPTCRAZY — February 5, 2014 @ 9:27 am

[…] 3. Nutella Crescents, via The Novice Chef Blog […]

Nutella Crescents — February 6, 2014 @ 4:34 pm

[…] Go to full Instructions […]

Enrollados de Nutella — February 9, 2014 @ 8:24 am

[…] Una receta original de http://www.thenovicechefblog.com […]

Lubina en salsa de chocolate y limón — February 10, 2014 @ 2:22 pm

[…] Una receta original de dubaiytu.com.  […]

File it Friday: Strawberry Cupcakes, Constellation Flashlight + More | How to Have it All — February 28, 2014 @ 2:00 pm

[…] Nutella Crescents: This is a very easy dessert recipe that only requires 4 ingredients! Whip these up in a snap! […]

Kim — March 2, 2014 @ 12:46 pm

These are great! I added as much nutella as I could and slathered on the butter for my son on a high calorie/high fat diet and he LOVED them. I know we will make these again. Thanks for sharing.