Thoughts too long for Twitter.*

It's two baby girls!

1. Whelp, my impatience won and we found out last week we are having two baby girls: Lyla Renee and Ellie Marie! I felt like someone give me a ginormous Christmas present in July and told me I had to carry it around all day…but I couldn’t open it until Christmas. PURE TORTURE. My insurance would pay for the gender ultrasound/scan at 20 weeks, but for $70 — I found out at 15 weeks. Let me tell you, it was the best $70 I have ever spent.

My entire family were convinced it was a boy and a girl. I was terrified it was two boys. And you could have knocked me over with a feather when the ultrasound tech said it was two girls! Two girls to dress up and put pigtails on…poor Jorge already knows they are going to have him wrapped around their tiny fingers. He’s already a giant softie…I can’t imagine him with two little girls using their puppy dog eyes on him. ;-)

(In case you missed it — I shared about the pregnancy back in February!)

future kitchen!

2. The new house is coming along amazingly! We close in less than a month (April 15th!) and every time we go visit there are so many new changes. I get stressed out thinking about all the things I am going to want to do before the babies come…and not being able to do the painting myself is stressing me out. I’m not scared of the fumes (yay face masks), but with some of our ceilings being 20 foot…well there’s just no way.  The photo above was from a couple of weeks ago — and we now have tile and cabinets!

kitchen cabinets

3. They still have to finish putting in the cabinets (and the cabinet crown molding and under cabinet lighting) but any process to us is huge. I am *this* close to bringing in a couple of chairs and having a picnic in our new kitchen. The granite should be going in this week and I am so incredibly anxious to see it. At the design center, the granite you pick from is just little 12×12 squares. It was the most agonizing choice I had to make! I tried seeing it in person in our neighborhood…but no one else has chosen that granite — just me. Which means, I either have excellent taste or terrible taste.

Salted Caramel Apple from Kilwins

4. I have found that everyone’s favorite question for a pregnant woman is: “What are you craving??”. So far I have craved beer, bacon, chips (especially funyuns and cheddar sour cream ruffles) and caramel/candied apples. These two little ladies are going to be quite the pair if their eating choices say anything about them!

When not pregnant, I usually crave carb-y sweets like cake or pancakes — definitely not salty like bacon and chips. And while I like caramel apples, it’s never something that is on the top of my list. I might have one a year…maybe. But in the last 4 months, I have had 5 caramel apples! The hardest craving has been the beer. I find myself making a whole lot of bacon beer bread (and regular buttery beer bread when I am sadly out of bacon).

Pioneer Woman's Ranch in Oklahoma

5. Early last week I took a quick trip to windy Oklahoma to visit The Pioneer Woman! Ree graciously welcomed a whole car load of bloggers onto her ranch and let us tear up her kitchen. We were there for part of our partnership with Land O’Lakes butter and we had such a wonderful time. I am in love with the wild mustangs that run around her ranch. I seriously don’t know why Delta wouldn’t allow me to carry one on.

Lyla & Ellie Clothes

6. My shopping addiction has changed from clothes for me, home stuff and makeup — to clothing for Lyla and Ellie. The above outfits were bought in just one single shopping trip with my Mom. I am unable to stop myself from buying any clothing that has polkadots, ruffles on the butt, or stripes. I really hope I have some chunky babies, because all I can imagine are some fat baby thighs coming out of that little striped outfit on the bottom right. ;-)

(Imagine a photo of my new hair right here. And when you are imagining it, please also give me higher cheekbones and take off 10 pounds. Thanks.)

7. I haven’t dyed my hair since finding out I am pregnant. My doctor said it’s safe, but google has me half convinced it’s going to give the babies only 7 toes and 234234 fingers. Thankfully I dyed my hair a shade very close to my natural color before becoming pregnant, so there is no distinct line and I am now calling my look “Pregnancy Ombré”. I also went this weekend and got a fresh new haircut. I added Zooey Deschanel bangs and I love them, however every time I try to get a picture of them I look like a psycho. So you just have to imagine what they look like until I can get the hang of the bang selfie.

27 Responses to “Thoughts too long for Twitter.”

Kerri — March 18, 2014 @ 4:53 pm

yay for baby girls! yay for jorge being surrounded by women and being wrapped around their pinkies!! can’t wait to see that granite!! ;)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking — March 18, 2014 @ 5:06 pm

Hooray! Congrats :)

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet — March 18, 2014 @ 5:23 pm

Yay for twin girls! I’m a twin and my twin is a girl! It is going to be fun!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — March 18, 2014 @ 6:27 pm

Woo hooo! Oh man those little ladies are going to have their dad wrapped around their little fingers!!! Such amazing happy news! Also, I dyed my hair after the first trimester and my guy turned out ok! You definitely need a treat yo’ self kind of day especially before those little cuties arrive!

Courtney @ BakeMeBetter — March 18, 2014 @ 8:16 pm

So many good things happening for you and Jorge! Your happiness is contagious!

jessica lynn — March 18, 2014 @ 9:39 pm

So, my husband is totally jealous that you’re having twin girls (I tell him every time I know someone who’s pregnant). He really wants twin girls (well, three girls, for that matter). Girls are just absolutely delightful! Start stocking up on headbands, too :) I’m in LOOOOOOOVE with your house. I drool whenever I see pictures on Instagram! So many exciting things happening for you :)

Mimi — March 19, 2014 @ 7:38 am

Congratulations! Two boys would scare me, too!

Laura @ porch&table — March 19, 2014 @ 8:22 am

How amazing! :) You’ll have a new home, new babies and new adventures! Soak it up, it’s going to be such a neat experience to read about!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — March 19, 2014 @ 8:40 am

Congrats on the girls! I spent half my pregnancy on google looking up things.

Eva @ Eva Bakes — March 19, 2014 @ 8:55 am

Congrats on baby girls! Little girl clothes are always so stinking cute. I’m biased, of course. :)

Sharon — March 19, 2014 @ 10:16 am

Congratualtions!!!
    So many wonderful blessings.

Amanda — March 19, 2014 @ 1:45 pm

Congrats on the baby girls!! That’s so very exciting. I adore the names the two of you have picked.

Dae — March 19, 2014 @ 3:58 pm

I just ran across your blog by chance, and I just love it :) Congratulations!

Auntiepatch — March 19, 2014 @ 4:04 pm

Your little girls will always have someone to play with; I know, I’m a twin!

Lauren J. — March 19, 2014 @ 4:39 pm

Congrats!! Twin girls will be so precious : ) I have an almost 2 year old boy on the way and I would NOT want twin boys if given the choice. Love all the clothes! Little girls clothes and hair accessories are so cute! Wishing you all the best throughout the rest of your pregnancy and during the birth of your daughters. God Bless : )

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — March 19, 2014 @ 5:14 pm

SO excited for your little girls, Jess & Jorge! They are totally going to be putty in your hands. Ellie & Lyla… so in love with those names! Congratulations.

Lucy — March 19, 2014 @ 6:00 pm

I am curious, with the names already decided, how will you decide which baby will have which name, will do it in order they come out, eg. The first baby is Ellie, or will you wait and try to fit their personalities to the names?

• Jessica replied: — March 20th, 2014 @ 11:34 am

We are going to decide after they are born and see which one is a Lyla and which one is an Ellie. ;-)

Nick — March 19, 2014 @ 8:45 pm

WooHoo!!!!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — March 19, 2014 @ 11:03 pm

There is so much to say that I don’t think I can fit it into this comment box!!

Let me just start and end with OMG their names are divine. The shopping – I die. The Ranch – OMGahhhhh and the kitchen – let me come sleep on your counters.

Okay, the end.

Jillian In Italy — March 20, 2014 @ 3:40 am

Reading this brought back memories of when I found out I was pregnant with my twin girls. So exciting. I wish you a beautiful pregnancy!

Sarah — March 20, 2014 @ 11:28 am

1. Just found your blog and I love it! Your house looks like it’s coming along well.

And 2. Congratulations! So happy for you :)

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — March 20, 2014 @ 12:47 pm

that kitchen and those clothes!! dying of jealousy and cuteness overload right now :)

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — March 20, 2014 @ 1:40 pm

Congrats on twin girls! Those outfits are adorable!

Heather — March 27, 2014 @ 12:07 am

Congrats on your girls! Can’t wait to meet them!

Rachel @ The Creole Woman — March 27, 2014 @ 9:38 pm

Twins! Yayyyy! Lord knows prayed for twins, but nope got myself a lil miss diva who is the equivalent of 2. Guess God does know best…lol…Congrats!

Theresa Allen — April 1, 2014 @ 6:49 am

congrats on your little girls!!! my twins are both girls too (i commented yesterday on your iced coffee post…), we got to find out at 16 (and some change) weeks so I was pretty pleased with the early news as well. the clothes are definitely to die for, trying to resist the temptation to buy every adorable thing in sight! :) checking out your beer bread recipe now, with baseball season starting and (maybe) warm weather coming, i am missing a cold brew too.