Final Pregnancy Update!*

Baby Bumb 33 Weeks

I can’t believe it, but we are finally here! We have a little over 2 weeks left to go, if Ellie & Lyla don’t decide to come earlier on their own. The doctors are scheduling my c-section (or induction if the girls finally decide to both flip into position) for August 18th!

Now that we are wrapping it up, I can honestly say I have had a great pregnancy. The heartburn throughout the whole pregnancy sucked, majorly. I also have giant angry red stretch marks going across the top of my stomach since both girls like to sit at the very top of my uterus. And towards the end, I have been very uncomfortable and couch bound…but those are my only real complaints.

I never had morning sickness — my first trimester was a breeze. I never had any issues with swelling, my belly button is thankfully still a complete innie and my skin stayed completely normal with no color changes or acne changes. My feet still fit in my same size shoes as before and I missed any/all crazy cravings. My blood pressure actually dropped a little lower throughout my pregnancy than my normal numbers and there have been zero signs of pre-eclampsia. And while my Mom had it with both my sister and I, I lucked out and did not get gestational diabetes (in spite of them making me take the test twice throughout my pregnancy).

With all those little things I was scared of, the best part has been a HEALTHY pregnancy. In spite of the girls being twins and considered high-risk, I never had any labor scares or issues with them trying to come early. They have both been growing steadily and evenly — neither girl has ever measured more than 5 oz bigger than her sister. If we make it until August 15th, there is a very good chance that each girl will weigh almost 7 pounds! That’s 14 pounds of just baby!

Ellie & Lyla's Nursery www.thenovicechefblog.com

Jorge and I have been working on getting everything ready for their arrival. The nursery is just about done…and I promise to get in there with my real camera and get photos one day soon. It might not happen until after they are here, but I promise it will happen.

However the real “setting up”, has all been done in our office downstairs. With a big chance of a c-section, we think it will be much easier to not have to climb the stairs every few hours to get the girls for feedings. Heck, even if I don’t have a c-section, I don’t want to be climbing stairs with two babies every two hours.

So we have converted half of our office to be a space were we have room for them to sleep, store clothing/blankets/diapers in close reach, and have a changing station set up. Eventually they will make the transition to upstairs, but we know it is going to be a lot more convenient having them just a few steps away at night!

It took us a whole weekend, but we also got all of their clothes/blankets/sheets washed and prepared, their hospital bag packed and all their bottles sterilized. Now we just need babies!

Baby Comparison

For fun, we have been making the whole family guess what Ellie and Lyla are going to look like. Jorge and I can’t stop imagining all the possible combinations. We are curious if they will look like each other (there is still a possibility that they are identical) or if they will look totally different.

We also like to joke that we will have one little white girl and one little Puerto Rican. Could you imagine me trying to tell people, no really — they are twins, I swear! Or maybe they are going to be a total combination of the two of us and will look like each other. There are just so many possibilities.

Jorge is 6’4 and I am only 5’4. Jorge has always had black, super curly hair and I had silky blonde hair. My eyes are a gray blue and his are dark brown. Jorge, of course, is actually brown and I am pasty white if I hide from the sun. Jorge was around 8 lbs at birth and I was a whopper at almost 10 lbs. The only thing we had in common were our big chunky cheeks.

So if you want to take a guess as to what the girls are going to look like, we would love to hear them! Once they actually arrive, it will be posted first to my Facebook and Instagram accounts. Follow along if you want to see if your guess is right!

Wish us luck in the delivery! Hopefully Ellie Renee and Lyla Marie will arrive in the same calm, cool manner they have had throughout the pregnancy. ;-)

30 Responses to “Final Pregnancy Update!”

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — July 28, 2014 @ 4:24 pm

eeee!!! It’s almost time!!!! Get ready for the best smell of your life – new baby smell!! <3 So excited for you!!

jessica lynn — July 28, 2014 @ 4:38 pm

I am so, so, SO excited for you!!! And how flipping amazing that you had such a wonderful pregnancy! That heartburn is a total b*tch though, right? (I was certain my daughter would have a head full of hair because of it, but she was bald). She also totally looks like my husband—if I didn’t push her out myself I would’ve questioned it! Anyway, so excited to see your announcement that they’re here…and to see the rest of her room :) Oh, and GREAT idea about making a place for them downstairs. We had a two story for the first 4 months of her life, and it was a lifesaver having a place for her downstairs. Good luck with the next two weeks!

Denise | @addicted2recipe — July 28, 2014 @ 4:39 pm

I am so excited for you! You are going to have so much fun with them. When my sister was pregnant with her triplets, I used to tease her that they were all going to come out looking different….and they did! One is darker, one looks like she has a tan and the other is lighter than all the rest. And they all have different hair color. Can’t wait to see pics!

Beth — July 28, 2014 @ 4:41 pm

Best wishes if you do end up having a c-section! I just had one on July 10th and I was quite surprised at the recovery time! Having to walk the day after was quite the task! Words of wisdom… Don’t try to be a hero with the pain meds… Go to the bathroom often (the pressure from a full bladder on the incision hurts)… And ice packs on your incision will be your best friend! :) Each day the pain gets better and after a week you will feel much better. Best of luck for everything to go well and all to be healthy!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — July 28, 2014 @ 5:02 pm

SQUEEEEEEEE!!! Omg, your babies are coming so soon! Wishing you all the best these next two weeks girl!

Jen — July 28, 2014 @ 5:41 pm

I had twins June 12. My husband (Afro cubano) and (very white) I had joked one would be white and one would be black. Sure enough my son is the spitting image of his daddy but pretty white. Little girl has mommy’s features but is much darker. Or guys will be 7 weeks on Thursday and we are really enjoying them!

Amanda — July 28, 2014 @ 5:48 pm

Sooooo excited for you guys! I wish you a calm, blessed and healthy delivery <3 I imagine beautiful little mixes of you two and cannot wait to see photos of their sweetness!

Dianna — July 28, 2014 @ 6:17 pm

Aww, good luck, Jessica! It’s been great following your pregnancy journey, especially since I’m trailing just 14 weeks behind! Can’t wait to see your little beauties… no matter who they look like, they’re going to be precious! Best wishes for a safe & healthy delivery. xo

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts — July 28, 2014 @ 8:29 pm

I love their names!! Congratulations, I can’t wait to see what they look like!!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — July 28, 2014 @ 10:02 pm

Yay for a healthy pregnancy and crossing my fingers for a healthy birth and babies!

ErinsFoodFiles — July 28, 2014 @ 10:46 pm

At least one of them will end up with “Elliott” curls, just you wait and see! Glad to hear things have been going so smoothly! Can’t wait till the girls arrive!! :D

Heather — July 28, 2014 @ 11:43 pm

You look absolutely beautiful and I’m sure those girls will be the perfect combo of you and Jorge and will be completely adorable! Hoping you all the best in your delivery and I couldn’t be happier for you!

Sophia — July 29, 2014 @ 5:54 am

I wish you all the best :) those little girls are really lucky to have such awesome parents :D

Kathleen — July 29, 2014 @ 6:51 am

This is all so exciting!! I’ll shoot for August 14th because that’s MY birthday!! lol…I think no matter what, these are going to be two gorgeous little girls!! Best wishes!! Can’t wait to see photos!

Marjory Betchkal — July 29, 2014 @ 6:56 am

My guess is that they will both be so very beautiful! They will both have dark little curls and creamy soft tan skin. No matter what, they are a blessing and the most wonderful things that will happen for you. ENJOY. Remember, when they sleep, MOMMY should sleep. It might be your only chance. WHO CARES if the house isn’t in order for company. You worry about the girls and yourself. Everyone else can just wait. If they don’t like that it’s out of order, let them clean up!! ;)

Just enjoy the arrival.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — July 29, 2014 @ 7:46 am

Oh my gosh you are just too darn cute. Seriously! I’m so excited for you both and can’t wait for their big arrival! :)

Sophia @ NY Foodgasm — July 29, 2014 @ 9:40 am

OMG congrats!! You are tooo adorable, I am amazed you are still standing! That is a whole lotta baby! You are gonna feel a lot lighter soon!

Virginia Fox — July 29, 2014 @ 10:41 am

your babies will be beautiful little girls, just look at the parents,

Crystal — July 29, 2014 @ 10:53 am

You look so beautiful Jessica, pregnancy agrees with you! Enjoy your babies while they are babies honey, lots of work ahead. My twins ( boy & girl) are 22 years old and living college life.

Can’t wait for pictures!

DeAnna Novak — July 29, 2014 @ 11:38 am

Congrats! You look terrific. With you and Jorge’s genes, those little girls will be adorbs.

Connie — July 29, 2014 @ 11:45 am

Congrats! Can’t wait till we get to see those sweet littles! Their nursery is so adorable, love the color scheme, so feminine.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 29, 2014 @ 3:31 pm

Wow, I’m so happy and excited for you! That is amazing that you had such a smooth and healthy pregnancy. I can’t wait to see those little babies!

Erin R. — July 29, 2014 @ 4:30 pm

Oh, god bless you, I’m so glad you missed all the unpleasant/dangerous things you listed off. Fingers crossed for a smooth delivery.

And what beautiful children you and Jorge were! Look at your little smoky eyes! My aunt and uncle had twin boys for their last two, one blazing redhead and one white blond. Yes, they really are twins. You just might come up with one little white girl and one little Puerto Rican. (grin)

Melissa H — July 30, 2014 @ 11:23 am

So excited for you and Jorge. I hope you enjoy the the last few days of your pregnancy and look forward to the “Babies are here” update!

Lauren — July 30, 2014 @ 2:01 pm

Congrats Jessica! I knew you a long time ago from our local knot wedding board and I wanted to say I’m excited for you! I had twins back in December and you’re in for a wild ride! And a fun one too :) And I love the names you have picked out for your girls. Take care!

McKenzi — July 31, 2014 @ 8:39 am

Aside from praying for a healthy delivery and baby guessing what your babe will look like was something my husband and I talked about constantly! I have a 13 year old from a previous relationship and she’s half black. Perfect caramel skin and one hazel and one green eye. My husband is half Mexican and I’m a green eyed blonde that has had her hair dyed dark brown for years. We had our first daughter together almost two years ago and she was born with orange hair but now has strawberry blonde hair, porcelain skin and bright blue eyes. He’s got red in his beard and I’ve always had a red tint to my hair. So when we got pregnant with our now two month old the anticipation of seeing this sweet girl was intense out of straight curiosity. Sure enough she came out with olive skin, dark auburn hair and has grey eyes still. We joked about it looking like we adopted three children if she came out a brunette. I absolutely adore the diversity of my family! Wishing you an uneventful delivery and two healthy babes! What a blessing to have such an uneventful pregnancy with twins!

Theresa Allen — August 1, 2014 @ 9:00 am

hang in there, and good luck! just scheduled my induction for next week, if my little twin ladies decide to keep hanging on too :) they’re in the right positions, just rather comfy in there! but i am in the same boat, so thankful to have had a very uneventful and smooth twin pregnancy!!!

The Novice Chef » Apple, Cheddar & Turkey Panini — August 11, 2014 @ 12:27 am

[…] sharp cheddar are meant to go together. It’s one of my favorite snacks! With the twins showing up any day now, Jorge and I have been struggling to find more quick and easy lunches that don’t come out of the […]

Nancy Wood — August 15, 2014 @ 6:58 pm

Can’t wait to see the pics of your twin cherubs! Blessings to you and your precious family.

Ann McColm — August 15, 2014 @ 8:15 pm

I really enjoy your blog and your recipes. You look so…cute you are getting quite pregnant looking. It is so exciting that you and your husband are having two baby girls. I want to wish you good luck with your delivery and a speedy recovery. Enjoy your little girls, how precious.