Coconut Banana Crunch Muffins
We have had this discussion a million times, but my family is a banana loving family. And by family, I mean Ellie & Jorge. Lyla and I like bananas too…just a normal amount. However, Lyla and I are giant coconut fans. Combine those two together and you get Coconut Banana Crunch Muffins!
I buy two bunches of bananas every week and sometimes we have a couple leftover that turned too ripe before Ellie got to eat them. It’s amazing that we ever have any considering that kid could eat a banana with every single meal!
The only thing Ellie might possibly love more than bananas is muffins! That girl is just like her mama — a true carb lover. I have made so many banana muffins for her, like my Nutella Banana Swirl Muffins and Brown Sugar Banana Muffins.
Sunday morning I had a couple of bananas sitting on the counter begging to be used up and I decided to bake up a quick batch of muffins for breakfast to surprise the girls. I almost made my Banana Dream Cake, but after seeing Ellie’s face light up at the site of the muffins I knew I made the right choice.
As you can see by that adorable face (sure, I am a little biased), these Coconut Banana Crunch Muffins were a great hit. I made a dozen and they were all gone in just two days! The girls kept pointing at them during dinner asking to have one — so they even got to have one for dessert!
These Coconut Banana Crunch Muffins have a glorious crunchy sweetened toasted coconut top and the actual muffin itself is moist and full of banana flavor…and even more coconut. They come together in just a few minutes — without a stand mixer — and into the oven they go!
Coconut Banana Crunch Muffins Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (approximately 2) overripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tin with liners.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together bananas, vegetable oil, sugar, egg, and vanilla in a large bowl until well combined. Fold in flour mixture until flour is just moistened and then fold in 1 cup shredded coconut.
- Divide batter among lined muffin cups and sprinkle with remaining shredded coconut. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center come out clean.
- Transfer muffins to a rack and cool. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.